• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - b**ch thread

Baroclinic Zone

I have no idea what in the heck you saw, but easton, weston, wilton, monroe and the rest of the state has catastrophic tree damage? The town had 40,000 people without power and the first selectman said the tree damage is extensive in the northern part of Fairfield, I will def take some pics tomorrow driving around for work.

I'm in the northeastern part of town and we were largely spared. I did drive up rte 33 to Ridgefield and the damage is hit and miss--not sure I would call it catotrophic-mainly large limbs and a few trees here and there...CAT would be numerous if you ask me and involve much more structural damage. Not saying it wasnt a bad storm, just not catostrophic for most...btw-great shots of the end of FFLD beach road in the NYC thread....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the northeastern part of town and we were largely spared. I did drive up rte 33 to Ridgefield and the damage is hit and miss--not sure I would call it catotrophic-mainly large limbs and a few trees here and there...CAT would be numerous if you ask me and involve much more structural damage. Not saying it wasnt a bad storm, just not catostrophic for most...btw-great shots of the end of FFLD beach road in the NYC thread....

The tree damage is certainly in pockets, and I have found the pockets are found in more rural areas. Greenfield hill and north and west were crushed, north stamford and darien were crushed. I was in Norwalk this morning about 2 miles north of rte 1 just south of the parkway and there was barely a limb down, yet somebody else from that town may be in a different area and have much more tree damage. Driving south on rte 15 from norwalk to the Greenwich border, you could barely go a tenth of a mile without seeing a tree down................I guess it all depends in the area, closer to the beach its all about the surge.

Happy Labor Day!

Personally what this storm showed me being down at the Agawam River and Little Harbor at high tide Sunday night - is that when the big one comes we are going to see Andrew'esque damage, Katrina like flooding in Wareham, Onset, Bourne and a lot of the Cape, south coastal MA and RI. People aren't just going to want to leave the coast, they'll want to leave the Cape entirely when the 100+ cane does come like 38.

I just hope people don't use this storm as a guide and think "I survived a strong Cat 1" in 2011.....

I can attest to that.. I was down at Swifts Beach during the evening high tide (~8PM)...and the water quickly flooded the parking lot, Beach St. and the nearby playground, which is a good 100-150 yards from the shore. And this was with 30-60mph winds. It all happened in a matter of 15-20 minutes as well.

you're right, there will be utter devastation if and when an actual Cat 1/2+ ever strikes

I can attest to that.. I was down at Swifts Beach during the evening high tide (~8PM)...and the water quickly flooded the parking lot, Beach St. and the nearby playground, which is a good 100-150 yards from the shore. And this was with 30-60mph winds. It all happened in a matter of 15-20 minutes as well.

you're right, there will be utter devastation if and when an actual Cat 1/2+ ever strikes

Yep, the evacuated Little Harbor about 750, police moved in as did a giant front end loader.

When it comes I just hope people don't think this "80mph" storm is going to be like a bonafide Cat 1 or Cat 2 hitting into LI. Will end up with a lot of toe tags.

What shocked me was the speed. The water rose a few feet in 20 minutes at Little Harbor.

Well, we can agree to disagree, just got the email from the first selectman, no school until Tuesday, at the earliest, 25 roads closed due to downed trees and power lines, 8 schools with no power.

Archived