• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Free ECMWF Data

For those who don't peruse Weather and Forecasting forums, wunderground.com has free ECMWF maps...and in 3 hourly chunks. To say I am excited is just a bit of an understatement. We will have to wait and see if this is a trial period...but for now it is free with no signups.

It is on "wundermap" under the model data section. A bit clunky, but I can't complain since it is free!

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

post-999-0-62497500-1314130360.png

I still can't believe a site as popular as wunderground would be allowed to display this for free. Makes me wonder if wunderground is paying quite a bit of money for the Euro in hopes it will generate a lot more traffic. If that is the case it will in fact generate a TON more traffic as everyone is interested in the Euro, especially if it's free lol. Could be a great move for wunderground if the service remains. :thumbsup:

The interactive maps are awesome for all models. Any idea how fast the ECMWF data updates?

Good question, I wasn't able to see this one roll in, but it sounds like it might be a tad bit delayed compared to pay sites. Possibly similar to how NCEP GFS data rolls in a few mins slower on non-pay sites compared to pay sites.

nice, hope this sticks around till winter.

Yeah me too.

I still can't believe a site as popular as wunderground would be allowed to display this for free. Makes me wonder if wunderground is paying quite a bit of money for the Euro in hopes it will generate a lot more traffic. If that is the case it will in fact generate a TON more traffic as everyone is interested in the Euro, especially if it's free lol. Could be a great move for wunderground if the service remains. :thumbsup:

Yeah I can't believe it either, that is why I have a feeling it will be trial to get people coming to the site...then they will bust out the fees and signup service. We will see...it is free for now at least! The interface is clunky and there aren't a ton of options for maps, but I will take it for being free.

Archived