Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
CONTEST: Max sustained winds with Irene

Max sustained winds with Irene  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Max sustained winds with Irene

105 knots, 934 mb just Southeast of Hatteras, but by the time of the Chatham wave watching party as it passes 150 miles East of the Outer Cape, pressure only up to 960 mb, but between cooler and stable boundary layer and expanded wind field, 65 knots in a tiny sliver just East of where the eye had been. Canadian Hurricane Centre will issue a hurricane warning which will not verify except in gusts, but they will still petition the WMO for name retirement because of some power failures, minor structural damage, and fallen trees around St. Lawrence and St. Johns.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's funny to me is all the people selecting 135mph. The NHC will never give a storm a max wind speed of 135mph... 115kts => 130mph... 120kts => 140mph

nerds...

i'll round them up as needed.

i do see past references to 135 mph storms as well, so not sure what that means

Hmm... Maybe they decide to round 115kts to 135mph even though it's, per Google, 132.339637 mph... in which case 130mph would be the value that is never used (110kts = 126.585739 mph => 125mph). In any case, there's at least one value on your list that can't be an advisory intensity. :arrowhead:

Hmm... Maybe they decide to round 115kts to 135mph even though it's, per Google, 132.339637 mph... in which case 130mph would be the value that is never used (110kts = 126.585739 mph => 125mph). In any case, there's at least one value on your list that can't be an advisory intensity. :arrowhead:

it could just be for post peak intensity changes tho im not sure obviously. i didnt put much thought into it either way... im sure people will deal. ;)

i do see past references to 135 mph storms as well, so not sure what that means

it could just be for post peak intensity changes tho im not sure obviously. i didnt put much thought into it either way... im sure people will deal. ;)

NO! It's the end of the world! :gun_bandana:

:arrowhead:

mph is still lame.

I am thinking it might bump up again...if the Gulf stream center (with the slightly warmer water) might bring it up a tad. I'm reaching to say 130mph but I've seen it happen, so I'll go with it...AOA N31.2, W77.5 pressure at 938mb

(BTW...I am entering late, so my entry doesn't count...just fun for me to put it in anyway)

Archived