• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene Flooding Threat

Here's some images that show how much rain fell in NJ/Long Island a little better...

Wow... so we are already primed for flooding even before Irene arrives. Even if Irene does take a more inland solution and does not create as much storm surge for the coastline, the Inland Flooding is a major threat here!

As with most large tropical cyclones, yes. However, the usual suspects will probably see a bit of coastal flooding...i.e. Norfolk.

Wow... so we are already primed for flooding even before Irene arrives. Even if Irene does take a more inland solution and does not create as much storm surge for the coastline, the Inland Flooding is a major threat here!

I would have sworn I posted something about the storm developing a frontal type structure as it becomes extratropical which will give it a look like Floyd and as Rainshadow noted that because it's been so wet, the flooding could be more extensive. Being along an entrance region of jet streak usually helps produce frontogenesis as the storm interacts with it. Both the eta and GFS, nam and radar have the stretched out look to the precip shield that is typical of such events.

I would have sworn I posted something about the storm developing a frontal type structure as it becomes extratropical which will give it a look like Floyd and as Rainshadow noted that because it's been so wet, the flooding could be more extensive. Being along an entrance region of jet streak usually helps produce frontogenesis as the storm interacts with it. Both the eta and GFS, nam and radar have the stretched out look to the precip shield that is typical of such events.

It should be an interesting development. Hopefully, the flooding won't be as bad as during Floyd or the April 2007 nor'easter.

I know I am stating the obvious - but NJ is just going to get pummelled by the looks of it. Intense convection feeding in off the Atlantic well ahead of the center, and then they are likely to get a prolonged period of more frontogenetical type rain on the NW/W side of the center. Wow...

I know I am stating the obvious - but NJ is just going to get pummelled by the looks of it. Intense convection feeding in off the Atlantic well ahead of the center, and then they are likely to get a prolonged period of more frontogenetical type rain on the NW/W side of the center. Wow...

I'm in Pompton Plains NJ which is about 20 miles due west of NYC, we are getting crushed right now with torrential down pours and gusty winds, and those tornado warnnings down south are scarring the hell out of me

This can't be good:

giln6_hg.png

Apparently they are at a "level b" emergency at that dam but I am not sure what that means.

Was just looking at that too. Hopefully that turnover is a good sign, but the upstream point (at least I assume it's the upstream point, Breakabeen) is above its record and still rising too.

Archived