e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im just getting caught up on this thread....while on my laptop during my lunch hour. This model you've been looking at poses a serious risk from NJ shore to LI to NE...Whomever said swing and a miss needs to learn how to read models.

With that being said...

Very concerned about how much water this thing does carry up the coast...it's going to have a few days to bomb out over the gulf stream before getting more north of NC...

Last year with Earl, it brought beach erosion and some fun waves to manasquan inlet NJ...and it was party sunny with a humid breeze...

With this setup, all of manasquan beach would be underwater and evacuated....

Still five days out, but that model paints a very disturbing picture for shore residents and one that should be watched closely outside of us who are weather geeks....I dont know what the local NY stations are doing as far as media hype....here in the Susquehanna Valley of PA we will probably escape a worst case scenario, but I'm going to be in Belmar NJ at mom's house this weekend, and she's starting to grow very concerned by what she's watching on the tv, and she doesn't know a thing about the weather.

I just don't like the thought of a storm bombing to a cat 4 and having that surge follow it up the coast....let alone the outside chance of a hurricane force wind gust....

Excellent post, I think water would be the issue if the gfs track verified, what has me on edge for coastal residents is the very slow movement of Irene. This would allow long fetch east winds to pound the jersey shore well ahead of the system, much like a nor easter. Western long island sound would be inudated with water as east winds would not allow water to evacuate the western sound.

One thing to note is the first trough to come through which picks up Irene to have her miss the SE coast exits and then she is allowed to keep coming North, not NE or NNE. However, if the second trough behind the first is stronger or quicker you get a totally different solution. The first trough is better sampled today, second, not so much. Pretty much still dealing with a 200 mile +/- swath this far north this far out.

A couple of points about Gloria:

1) It hit at the end of September, much different than at the end of August.

2) At about this point in Gloria's lifespan, even though it never hit the Bahamian island chain, it was an incredibly powerful hurricane with I believe at that time one of the five lowest pressure readings ever recorded in the Atlantic, even though the winds were not Category Five.

Latest visible image shows outflow has been disturbed greatly on the nw and sw flank of the storm due to sw shear, as well as dry air being ingested into the core of the storm off dowsloping winds over Hispanola. However, with shear lessening and dm tonight I think Irene goes nuts.

It looks like Irene is at a position where the mountains are most impeding the moisture inflow. As it gets to about 72.5-73W, the flow should be more parallel to the mountains, and the eyewall should close up on the southern flank. Then, it's game on.

Yeah but anyone on the eastern side would get the full brunt of whatever winds are left. Some of the gulf hurricanes have brought hurricane force winds well into the tennessee/ohio valley

I would think the eye would have fallen apart or become very diffuse by the time it gets to NYC-especially with that inland track....

But that track would be the difference between 30-40 mph winds and strong tropical storm/weak hurricane force winds

Im at work so I don't have much time to analyst it. Looks to have more foward speed, but more land interaction vs the gfs. Would think winds would be the same or a bit less then the gfs. Take this fwiw, I have not look at more then the hr 132 and 138 surface maps

Excellent post alex, while the northern nj coast and western long island sound are so vulnerable to an east or ne wind, the nyc proper out east to long island are extremely vulnerable to a s or se wind, a scenario which takes irene north and stall it south of sne then heads wnw just sw of the nyc area is still on the table, any slight ridging to the ne has to be taken seriously even as unusual and unlikely as it maybe.

Its not the wind or rain, its the water that makes nyc so vulnerable.

Euro now shows something very close to this. This path would send a lot of water into NYC proper.

Archived