• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Ohio And Great Lakes Including (PA,KY,WVA,IN)!

Steve

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing but a few piles in my area. I've traveled through western geauga and there is nothing but piles and a few patches where the snow drifted. I think YNG takes their snow measurements in plow piles.

I give this season a strong C so far... mainly because we had snowcover for the majority of December. The LES really hasn't been that good. I know in some places it has but I'm grading purely IMBY. We've had almost 0 synoptic snow. We are going to need a few synoptic storms to bring the grade up.

For me winter has been December 8th and nothing else. The downtown fire hose band was impressive and gets high marks. Without it, it would be suicide watch for the shoreline.

Synoptic snow has been virtually non existent between Cleveland and Toronto. If that holds, the grade will drop.

People can say that the block is gone, but not mattering. Storms still dying out as they reach Ohio. Seriously. I'm calling it first. Winter Cancel. We are going to get more cold, but I am predicting no major snowstorms January, and 75% chance we don't see one ijn February or March either. By major storm I mean 6"+

I'll take that bet dilly. :)

Just for fun, if we do get a 6+ inch storm then you come shovel my driveway. And if we don't, I'll come buy you a drink of whatever your favorite beverage is and we can both drown our winter sorrows. What say you?

:snowman:

I'll take that bet dilly. :)

Just for fun, if we do get a 6+ inch storm then you come shovel my driveway. And if we don't, I'll come buy you a drink of whatever your favorite beverage is and we can both drown our winter sorrows. What say you?

:snowman:

Awful long drive to shovel a driveway lol..

For me winter has been December 8th and nothing else. The downtown fire hose band was impressive and gets high marks. Without it, it would be suicide watch for the shoreline.

Synoptic snow has been virtually non existent between Cleveland and Toronto. If that holds, the grade will drop.

The 12/8 event was the highlight so far. More to come I hope.

I think there is potential for a nice LES event this weekend. Normally arctic air isn't great for LES off of Erie but this set-up offers some hope. Good moisture and the inversion level will be the key ingredients. Wind direction isn't that favorable but there should be a few impulses moving through to help.

CLE seems pretty bullish in the short term -

THE CLIPPER WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE SE FROM LHUR INTO NY STATE. THE BETTER MOISTURE AND DYNAMICS WILL ONLY AFFECT THE NE SO THE SW PART OF THE AREA WILL SEE CLOUDINESS BUT PROBABLY NOT ANY SNOW ASIDE FROM SOME FLURRIES. THE ADDED LIFT AND MOISTURE POOLING FROM THE COLD

FRONT CROSSING THE AREA SHOULD LEAD TO A DECENT BURST OF LAKE ENHANCED SNOW IN THE SNOWBELT TUE WITH LAKE EFFECT SHSN CONTINUING TUE NIGHT AND WED BUT MOST OF THE SHSN SHOULD TAPER TO JUST FLURRIES WED AFTERNOON. WILL BUMP UP ACCUMULATION TO AN INCH OR TWO FOR TUE WITH ANOTHER 2 OR 3 INCHES TUE NIGHT. COULD BE A SITUATION WHERE AN

ADVISORY MAY NEED TO BE ISSUED FOR THIS TONIGHT OR TUE MORNING.

Based on the latest Euro, there could be something to talk about with this system for the end of the week. Still plenty of inconsistency between both the GFS and Euro. The GFS gives most of Ohio about and inch or two with much higher amounts of course as you head up toward CLE. The Euro on the other hands brings the system in much later (Late Fri into Sat), giving portions of SW Ohio about 2-4" with much higher amounts as you head north and east. I have favored the Euro most of the season. It did a fantastic job with the Christmas Eve system. It was the first model to shift that system well south of the region, with the other models eventually following suit. This is a system that needs to be watched for sure. Stay tuned...

Based on the latest Euro, there could be something to talk about with this system for the end of the week. Still plenty of inconsistency between both the GFS and Euro. The GFS gives most of Ohio about and inch or two with much higher amounts of course as you head up toward CLE. The Euro on the other hands brings the system in much later (Late Fri into Sat), giving portions of SW Ohio about 2-4" with much higher amounts as you head north and east. I have favored the Euro most of the season. It did a fantastic job with the Christmas Eve system. It was the first model to shift that system well south of the region, with the other models eventually following suit. This is a system that needs to be watched for sure. Stay tuned...

I know i'm jumping threats....but you have any thoughts on early to mid (next) week? Seems to be a signal for a storm system developing in the southern plains with gulf interaction. Looks like the potential for a major overrunning event possible across the OV.

I think there is potential for a nice LES event this weekend. Normally arctic air isn't great for LES off of Erie but this set-up offers some hope. Good moisture and the inversion level will be the key ingredients. Wind direction isn't that favorable but there should be a few impulses moving through to help.

THE CLIPPER WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE SE FROM LHUR INTO NY STATE. THE BETTER MOISTURE AND DYNAMICS WILL ONLY AFFECT THE NE SO THE SW PART OF THE AREA WILL SEE CLOUDINESS BUT PROBABLY NOT ANY SNOW ASIDE FROM SOME FLURRIES. THE ADDED LIFT AND MOISTURE POOLING FROM THE COLD

FRONT CROSSING THE AREA SHOULD LEAD TO A DECENT BURST OF LAKE ENHANCED SNOW IN THE SNOWBELT TUE WITH LAKE EFFECT SHSN CONTINUING TUE NIGHT AND WED BUT MOST OF THE SHSN SHOULD TAPER TO JUST FLURRIES WED AFTERNOON. WILL BUMP UP ACCUMULATION TO AN INCH OR TWO FOR TUE WITH ANOTHER 2 OR 3 INCHES TUE NIGHT. COULD BE A SITUATION WHERE AN

That's really bullish for tomorrow. I don't think the BUF mesos were showing anything for the next 36 hours.

I know i'm jumping threats....but you have any thoughts on early to mid (next) week? Seems to be a signal for a storm system developing in the southern plains with gulf interaction. Looks like the potential for a major overrunning event possible across the OV.

Based on the GFS it looks as though most of the overrunning would occur down in Southern KY. That will obviously change of course. If the upcoming weekend system does materialize and accumulating snow does occur, that could be key as to what happens next week with another potential system.

Hello good folks. I hate to bother you but I need to ask you guys an "IN YOUR BACK YARD QUESTION." I have family traveling to Cincinnati from central North Carolina on Friday for major medical tests and will be there through next week. It looks like there is a chance of a clipper system at least and if there is bad weather some members of the family won't make the trip. If someone wouldn't mind sending me a PM or posting what you think the weather and travel conditions will be this Friday. Thanks in advance and feel free to visit the Southeast regional forums for a little Southern Hospitality!

Hello good folks. I hate to bother you but I need to ask you guys an "IN YOUR BACK YARD QUESTION." I have family traveling to Cincinnati from central North Carolina on Friday for major medical tests and will be there through next week. It looks like there is a chance of a clipper system at least and if there is bad weather some members of the family won't make the trip. If someone wouldn't mind sending me a PM or posting what you think the weather and travel conditions will be this Friday. Thanks in advance and feel free to visit the Southeast regional forums for a little Southern Hospitality!

The system for Friday needs to be watched. One of the latest model runs continues to show just a few snow showers for the Ohio Valley on Friday. However, another model wants to bring several inches of snow to the area with arrival being late Friday night into the day on Saturday. Looks like there will at least some snow showers during most of your trip to the Queen City. Good luck :)

TWC and AccuWx don't seem to be buying the extreme cold some have been selling here... Just checked the forecasts here, TWC has nothing lower than 18 for the next ten days and AccuWx nothing lower than 13 the next 15 days.

What the hell was CLE smoking yesterday? Advisory type snows?

What the hell was CLE smoking yesterday? Advisory type snows?

LOL. Must be a new person there that is overly optimistic about forecasting snowfall... when no model shows that type of precip. Still calling for snow this afternoon and tonight. Sun is out and temps are above freezing. Not a bad early January day at all.

The end of the week is looking pretty good for lake enhanced snow. Limiting factor may be the shifting winds and shear. Other than that 850's are cold and there will be moisture around.

I-70 bowling ball special next week?

From usetobe (wes) in the DS thread re: next weeks storm. So, we need a weaker first storm which looks likely, and the 500h low to close off quickly.

"I think one potential modulator of what happens for the Jan 11-13 event is what happens with the Jan 7-9 event. If we get a monster storm like the euro had for that one run, then we'd have a better chance for the Richmond to DC region to cash in on winter weather as the confluence could be strong which would force the low to reform over eastern NC. The weaker confluence makes it easier to track to the oH valley and stay stronger longer before reforming.

The other problem is with how quickly and far north a 500h low might form. Both the 12Z ggem and euro have i closing off earlier than optimal for the dc area. We'd so better if a weaker impulse sheared out ahead of the developing trough and gave us a shot of overrunning. Some of the earlier runs seemed to like that idea"

Should be interesting watching the models over the next 5 days. :axe:

A look at some of the new NAM data, still not overly impressed with the Friday system. Waiting on the GFS to come in. Something that really needs to be watched is a storm for early next week that could potentially bring significant snow accumulations for the region. Stay tuned...

Yep, there is a storm thread for next weeks storm, should go chime in. We need an Ohio met over there so its not so biased towards Chicago and over that way lol

Archived