joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z euro

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS all alone.

I would normally say that we're screwed if the GFS was our only support, but in light of recent events I don't know. The GFS was spot on from 180 hours out on the clipper that hit North Carolina...don't we remember? The ECMWF modeled that same clipper as bombing off the east coast wiping out Boston from 180 hours out...so did the GGEM to my recollection.

I would normally say that we're screwed if the GFS was our only support, but in light of recent events I don't know. The GFS was spot on from 180 hours out on the clipper that hit North Carolina...don't we remember? The ECMWF modeled that same clipper as bombing off the east coast wiping out Boston from 180 hours out...so did the GGEM to my recollection.

Agreed....It is so surprising to me how quickly everyone forgets how poorly the EURO and GGEM handled the storms that were to happen today and middle of next week. Not saying that the EURO is wrong with this solution....for all I know this will end up being a lakes cutter. So far this season, however, the EURO is just as bad as any other model. Taking it to the bank in this time frame is moronic

Catching up on the Raleigh images cause I know alot like those more and they been lagging ..here is 168 hrs

Followed by 192

Last night the means had the system almost underneath KPHL (south of there)

I wonder if that is something that we would not be looking more at...

It seems as if the OP run attempted this with the new low over C VA...

Will post means when they are out....

I would not write this potential off yet...

HPC

12Z GUIDANCE RUNS OF GFS/CMC/UKMET OFFER THREE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT

SOLUTIONS AND REINFORCE THE UNCERTAINTY OF PREVIOUS RUNS. UKMET

HAS VERY SIGNIFICANT MID LEVEL STREAM SEPERATION AT DAY 6 SAT MORE

SO THAN ANY OTHER MODEL OR PRIOR RUN IN THE SRN PLAINS WITH AN

UPSTREAM STRONG DIGGING UPPER LEVEL JET THAT WOULD IMPLY A MORE

N-NEWD MOVEMENT TAKING THE LOW WEST OF THE APPLACHNS AFTER DAY 7

SUN. CMC HAS ALSO GONE MUCH CLOSER TO THE 00Z ECMWF SOLUTION OF A

STRONG CENTRAL CONUS STORM LATE PERIOD AND EARLY NEXT WEEK AS HAS

12Z NAVY NOGAPS. MOST CONSISTENT IS THE GFS WHICH HAS A WEAKER

FLATTER DIGGING SHORTWAVE THAN ITS PRIOR RUN BUT REMAINS

REASONABLY CLOSE TO ITS 00Z AND 06Z SOLUTION AND ECMWF WHICH

CONTINUES ITS SOLUTION FROM 00Z.

A MINOR SFC PROG MADE ADJUSTMENT CLOSER TO THE 00Z ECMWF ENS MEAN

AND LASTEST 12Z GFS WITH A REFORMING COASTAL LOW OFF VA CAPES LATE

SUNDAY. THIS CONTINUES THE LOW CONFIDENCE AND UNCERTAINTY WITH THE

SHORTWAVE AMPLITUDE AND INTENSITY ALONG WITH THE SFC LOW TRACK

DAYS 7-8 SUN/MON. CONSENSUS OF MODEL RUNS AT 12Z IS WEST OF THE

APPLACHNS AND A WESTWARD ADJUSTMENT MAY BE NEEDED TOMORROW.

Yeah, it looks like the Euro is going to hold on to its 0z solution or probably even come in a bit west of that.

I think the majority of the GFS ensembles have a solution more in line with the euro than the GFS but a couple do have a gfs look / I still think the euro idea is probalby more right but even if a compromise is right, we'd be screwed in the DC to PHl area.

It wasn't...it had nothing in the Carolinas.

FWIW, the GFS from that same run a week ago had a MECS along the East Coast on 12/6 blasting people with snow. Good luck with that one.

http://www.americanw...s/page__st__200

Agreed....It is so surprising to me how quickly everyone forgets how poorly the EURO and GGEM handled the storms that were to happen today and middle of next week. Not saying that the EURO is wrong with this solution....for all I know this will end up being a lakes cutter. So far this season, however, the EURO is just as bad as any other model. Taking it to the bank in this time frame is moronic

see above.

I'd go closer to the GFS solution at this point... there's no reason why the storm would stay that far to the west with no block in place. Both models keep the system somewhat open-wave, which, along with a west-to-east UL jet early, would tell me that this thing won't be able to stick around like it does on the Euro.

its further east than the op, but compared to the 0z ens runs its further west.

The euro ensemble mean has a low at 168 hours over KY with DCA already above freezing at 850 mb. By 192 hours the low is over Long Island/NYC. Not good for I95 snow. I'd say it's in between the GFS and euro solutions but has enough low over the OH valley region to nix most of the I95 east crowd.

The euro ensemble mean has a low at 168 hours over KY with DCA already above freezing at 850 mb. By 192 hours the low is over Long Island/NYC. Not good for I95 snow. I'd say it's in between the GFS and euro solutions but has enough low over the OH valley region to nix most of the I95 east crowd.

Looks like the 18Z GFS pushed it right out as a cutter. Turned poss MDLT snow on Sunday into about an inch of sleet/3" snow on Saturday at the 126 mark. Doesn't even turn back once offshore, just heads on out into the Atlantic. Grrr...

My expectations are very low for snow in December. When the month ends up much colder than normal, but with no snow other than some flurries, I won't feel so bad. I hope I'm wrong, but I think there are going to be some very disappointed snow-lovers in DC by the end of the month. Best to enjoy days like this with the wind and flurries - at least it did feel very much like winter today. :-)

Looks like the 18Z GFS pushed it right out as a cutter. Turned poss MDLT snow on Sunday into about an inch of sleet/3" snow on Saturday at the 126 mark. Doesn't even turn back once offshore, just heads on out into the Atlantic. Grrr...

Actually, 18Z gfs ensembles look more encouraging than the operational. There clearly are two different options. The euro and and inland cutter and the GFS which reforms far enough off the coast ot be interesting though for DCA, my guess is if you bring the surface low closer to the coast so you get more precip, the temp profile will get more iffy. That said, who really knows. Its' too far out in time to same anything other that there is a chance of a storm.

Archived