• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 1 Massachusetts tornado report

Hi folks!

After my presentation on the storm survey of the June 1 long track tornado in SW and south central Massachusetts, I posted some stuff over on the New England subforum. I should have posted this over here for everyone to gander at. My bad.

This website has a summary of the tornadoes, radar images during the long track tornado, severe weather reports as well as a Google map with the tracks of the three tornadoes.

http://www.erh.noaa....011_summary.php

On the Google map of storm reports, you can zoom this map out to see all the reports from across the area and into northern New England and eastern NY state that day.

Questions or comments? Post away.

--Turtle

Hi folks!

After my presentation on the storm survey of the June 1 long track tornado in SW and south central Massachusetts, I posted some stuff over on the New England subforum. I should have posted this over here for everyone to gander at. My bad.

This website has a summary of the tornadoes, radar images during the long track tornado, severe weather reports as well as a Google map with the tracks of the three tornadoes.

--Turtle

Hi Eleanor!!

Just to add there was damage found off of Wendy's Rd in Granville, west of westfield as well. The BOX velocity at that

time was badly range folded. ENX had a pretty good view of it though. Nice presenation!

Ray

Hi folks!

On the Google map of storm reports, you can zoom this map out to see all the reports from across the area and into northern New England and eastern NY state that day.

--Turtle

Thnaks Eleanor!

Hi folks!

--Turtle

Great job, are there any pics or video from the aerial survey? Or am I missing the link?

Great job, are there any pics or video from the aerial survey? Or am I missing the link?

This report was put together by others in the office within a week of the tornado. The aerial survey photos are not included for now. Have to go through them again. No video, at least at our office. I hope that another one or two PowerPoint shows will be put up on the website sometime soon. Kinda tough to get the IT person at the office to do that, though. Will see what I can do.

BTW, when I mentioned about "the presentation" in my original post, that's the one I did during the lightning round at the AmWx meeting in Baltimore. There was one aerial photo in that one, but we do have others. We literally have hundreds of photos from four cameras that were on the storm survey with us, and not a whole lot of time to go through all of them (vacation, shift coverage, other severe weather, etc.). Not sure when I'll be able to go through them, but will try to soon.

--Turtle

Someone may have already noted this, but it wasn't Monson High School that had its roof destroyed, but rather the Monson town office building that did. (This once was Monson High School, but has long since been converted to serve as the town offices-- though post tornado, perhaps no more). Luckily, the town schools were unscathed by the tornado.

Thank you for this report-- I'd been puzzled as to the location of the Wilbraham EF 1 tornado.

nothing about agawam in there but there was clearly tornado damage?

Actually, the other team did go to Robinson State Park in Agawam on 6/2. I believe they said that the tornado was "skipping" at that point, and probably wasn't on the ground continuously until West Springfield prior to passing across the river. I wasn't on this portion of the survey, and only got one good photo from there.

I had heard a radio show (WEEI) the night of the tornado, and they were talking about it. A guy from out there flew a helicopter over the Park and said he saw a "perfect circle" on the ground. I called the station and got his phone number. I spoke with him, and turns out he works for a power company out there. He was surveying to determine the damage to power lines and poles. He said he was flying near the State Police helicopter. I gave this info to the other team, and I believe that's why they stopped by out there.

I also recall seeing video on TV of a bus full of kids leaving Six Flags, and it passed to the N of there (if I got my bearings correct). Not the greatest video, but the kids were certainly impressed.

If I get a chance to talk to the other folks on that team, I'll try to ask about damage in Agawam.

--Turtle

Archived