joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"Big Heat" is here

tombo82685

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z euro brings back the big heat has 2 days of 100-105 temps for philly area and one day 95-100. Starts next thursday per euro

I keep thinking back to the Aug '06 heat wave and how the Euro for days on end kept blasting us with 24-25 850's and we at Eastern were certain 100 was a lock. Never topped 98 at PHL. We definitely will be hot and I don't think there's a question we make a run at 100...I think the 100+ stuff might be a bit much though...Euro sometimes gets a bit aggressive on the torch.

I keep thinking back to the Aug '06 heat wave and how the Euro for days on end kept blasting us with 24-25 850's and we at Eastern were certain 100 was a lock. Never topped 98 at PHL. We definitely will be hot and I don't think there's a question we make a run at 100...I think the 100+ stuff might be a bit much though...Euro sometimes gets a bit aggressive on the torch.

GFS is just as aggressive.

Looking at the individual ensemble members (sorry I don't think I can post them here), it looks like Friday is the only day where the Euro ops is a significant outlier from the rest of the ensemble guidance. The ops is clearly one of the warmer members though. Model output doesn't support me, but I still think Saturday will be the hottest day here.

I know I am probably beating a dead horse here, but I really think the recurving WNP typhoon is the root cause of this warmup and once that forcing is gone, we'll head back to the warm not hot pattern we've been in most of summer. Thur-Sun will be an intense shot of sultry weather, but by the 26th, I think we'll be back close to normal.

I know I am probably beating a dead horse here, but I really think the recurving WNP typhoon is the root cause of this warmup and once that forcing is gone, we'll head back to the warm not hot pattern we've been in most of summer. Thur-Sun will be an intense shot of sultry weather, but by the 26th, I think we'll be back close to normal.

Not to ask a dumb question but...WNP = western north Pacific?

Not to ask a dumb question but...WNP = western north Pacific?

Yep :thumbsup:

Here is the composite response of the 250mb pattern across the Pacific-North America region 72 hrs after a recurving WNP typhoon (taken from Heather Archembault's presentation at the 2010 AMS Tropical Conference). You can see the Rossby wave train that develops over the Pacific, which is the forcing, imo, for the heat moving out of the Plains to the East late next week (Ma-on will officially recurve on Tuesday evening).

This recurving TC teleconnection along with the SOI dailies is why I've been saying that Saturday will be the warmest day, even though the models are going for Friday right now.

Here is the composite response of the 250mb pattern across the Pacific-North America region 72 hrs after a recurving WNP typhoon (taken from Heather Archembault's presentation at the 2010 AMS Tropical Conference). You can see the Rossby wave train that develops over the Pacific, which is the forcing, imo, for the heat moving out of the Plains to the East late next week (Ma-on will officially recurve on Tuesday evening).

This recurving TC teleconnection along with the SOI dailies is why I've been saying that Saturday will be the warmest day, even though the models are going for Friday right now.

At least I had that abbreviation correct. :)

so theoretically, with the the storm recurving it displaces everything a notch further east from that map, correct?

the euro has saturday the hottest per the 0z run, with 100-105 around the phl metro area.

so theoretically, with the the storm recurving it displaces everything a notch further east from that map, correct?

Right. That map is analogous to Friday evening and it looks pretty similar to the NH model progs right now. Add one more day and the core of the ridge should be right over the East Coast. After that, though, the wave train will dampen and we'll head back to the summer preferred pattern.

Right. That map is analogous to Friday evening and it looks pretty similar to the NH model progs right now. Add one more day and the core of the ridge should be right over the East Coast. After that, though, the wave train will dampen and we'll head back to the summer preferred pattern.

It pretty much makes sense as the latent heat that is released into the atmosphere from a tropical system (especially a powerful typhoon/hurricane) has downstream effects such as helping to build a ridge which then moves eastward in this case. Interesting stuff and how it is all tied together in one way or another.

12z euro backed off on the heat bigtime...the hottest it gets is 94 to 95, its draping some kind of backdoor cold front over us. While susquehanna river west get pretty darn hott, east of there runs chance of storms and not as hot

ridge center is farther west and doesn't get into our area compared to 0z. that allows a touch cooler air to back down. Perhaps the summer version of "energy holding back"?

at 8 AM on Friday -- 12z had ridge center over KC, 0z was over St. Louis

ridge center is farther west and doesn't get into our area compared to 0z. that allows a touch cooler air to back down. Perhaps the summer version of "energy holding back"?

at 8 AM on Friday -- 12z had ridge center over KC, 0z was over St. Louis

honestly, i think it could be an interesting pattern regardless. Either A, we get the big heat and temps near 100 degrees. Or B, we get on the periphery of the heat ridge and run the chance of MCS's.

I don't find MCS exciting lol... but the teleconnections are saying that this ridge is moving east and the models are going to be playing catch up.. I think 2-3 days of temps near 100 and then "cooling" off to 93-96 for the extended.

We don't hardly ever get MCS's out here. Heat is heat, whether its 100 degrees or not, it's nothing new. We've had close to 100 this year already. Any strong MCS would be nice, being we never get them this far east. Then again, I'm against the big heat, being I work outside, lol.

Archived