• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"Big Heat" is here

tombo82685

This is for surely not set in stone, but i definitely think its worth monitoring. Both the euro and the gfs bring in some big heat to the region. The 12z gfs brought 2 days of temperatures around 98-100 degrees for the region. The 12z euro has one day of 95-100 for the region and 2 days of temperatures of 100-105. Again, im not saying this is going to happen, im just mentioning the possibility of this occurring since its about 8 days away. Below is the 18z gfs 2m temps, and the 2m temps for the hottest day for the 12z euro for next friday

google1copy.jpg

light red 85-90

red 90-95

pink 95-100

white 100-105

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to remember what 850s and 500 mb heights reached last year during that stretch where temps. climbed between 100-105. Probably not too far off from this....maybe a tad higher than what the Euro is showing next week?

I believe it was around the 24c region. Whats going to be interesting is how much humidity builds in. Last year if i recall correctly it really wasn't that humid out which helped despite the triple digit heat.

I remember last year waking up at 530 am and seeing 83 degrees out, not a great motivator to get out of bed lol

Last yr it was july 6-7 when the triple digit heat struck, here are the 500mb hgts and 850s from then. Now compared to the euros forecasted 500 mb hgts

Wow, thanks for digging that up. Nice to use it as a comparison. And yes, last years heat was a dry heat (atleast in SE PA). Like an oven.

oz euro backed off on the heat a little... hottest day is 95-100. The euro has more of a backdoor presence. We are though as progged by the euro on edge of the heat bubble so that would increase the risk of possible MCS'S

I know its a generalization vs specificity as to how hot, but the NAEFS has a near 100 percent chance if it being warmer than normal week two. Kind of hoping what the Euro has last night works since its been the summer pattern so far. Regardless the gaudy forecast 850mb temps give this one the potential to be the hottest of the summer so far. I haven't followed this comparison much this summer, but the euro ensemble mean has less of a backdoor.

oz euro backed off on the heat a little... hottest day is 95-100. The euro has more of a backdoor presence. We are though as progged by the euro on edge of the heat bubble so that would increase the risk of possible MCS'S

I know its a generalization vs specificity as to how hot, but the naefs has a near 100 percent chance if it being warmer than normal next week. Kind of hoping what the Euro had last night works since its been the summer pattern so far. Regardless the gaudy forecast 850mb temps give this one the potential to challenge early June as the hottest of the summer so far. I haven't followed this comparison much this summer, but the euro ensemble mean has less of a backdoor.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but this is a pretty classic response to a recurving WNP TC. So long at Ma-on gets up to Cat 4/5 strength, this pattern should be solid.

It'll be worse in Chicago than here...reminds me somewhat of the '95 heat event in look...hopefully not intensity/duration.

With that said, we have a shot at 100 on Thursday/Friday...not a "lock" but certainly not out of reach.

It'll be worse in Chicago than here...reminds me somewhat of the '95 heat event in look...hopefully not intensity/duration.

With that said, we have a shot at 100 on Thursday/Friday...not a "lock" but certainly not out of reach.

I agree mostly. Chicago will probably have a longer duration heat wave with higher heat indices, but I think PHL has a better shot for the highest individual temperature (and I think it will be over the weekend).

Per the 12z euro, the hottest days are next thursday and friday with temps approaching 100 before a front swings through on the weekend to cool us down. One silver lining is before the heat we get .5-1 of rain tuesday with some sort of backdoor cold front, which retreats a day later. Below is the hottest day shown by the euro, which is next friday.

googlepg.jpg

lgt red 85-90

red 90-95

pink 95-100

Per the 12z euro, the hottest day are next thursday and friday with temps approaching 100 before a front swings through on the weekend to cool us down. One silver lining is before the heat we get .5-1 of rain tuesday with some sort of backdoor cold front, which retreat a day later. Below is the hottest day shown by the euro, which is next friday.

lgt red 85-90

red 90-95

pink 95-100

That trough in the 12z Euro next weekend was a pretty big break in continuity and doesn't agree with the latest SOI dailies. Just my $.02.

That trough in the 12z Euro next weekend was a pretty big break in continuity and doesn't agree with the latest SOI dailies. Just my $.02.

Granted this is way out, ten days, but the euro ens have the same look to them. I wonder if we increase the MCS threat if we find ourselves on the edge looking in at the heat.

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS240.gif

Granted this is way out, ten days, but the euro ens have the same look to them. I wonder if we increase the MCS threat if we find ourselves on the edge looking in at the heat.

I think we get into that pattern, I'm just timing it a bit slower than the Euro right now. I actually hope the Euro is right, because I don't want to die of heat stroke in BWI next weekend.

Archived