• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"Big Heat" is here

tombo82685

12z euro backed off on the heat bigtime...the hottest it gets is 94 to 95, its draping some kind of backdoor cold front over us. While susquehanna river west get pretty darn hott, east of there runs chance of storms and not as hot

0z euro brings back the heat big time....euro and gfs ensembles agree as well as CMC and others. Looks like amazing model agreement for big time heat

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z Euro generally tops out in the mid/upper 90's based surface view and on 850 rule (100+ possible from DC into VA though). No 24 on the 850 level though locally...

GFS is a bit warmer across the board and has the 24 C isotherm lurking nearby Friday and Saturday. 100 is more possible based on GFS but no surface site locally in the Del Val hits it (but it does go above that in DC, MD, and VA).

Man, looking at the models, mos guidance and reading other info on here, my prognostication of this upcoming week is "this is gonna suck!" haha.

It's going to be a scorcher this week.

Time to start hydrating for the week ahead.

Anyone wanna work for me?!

0z euro brings back the heat big time....euro and gfs ensembles agree as well as CMC and others. Looks like amazing model agreement for big time heat

Oh the models are so reliable...back and forth, back and forth, it gives one great confidence...lol

0z Euro generally tops out in the mid/upper 90's based surface view and on 850 rule (100+ possible from DC into VA though). No 24 on the 850 level though locally...

GFS is a bit warmer across the board and has the 24 C isotherm lurking nearby Friday and Saturday. 100 is more possible based on GFS but no surface site locally in the Del Val hits it (but it does go above that in DC, MD, and VA).

euro is going 95-100 for the philly metro area friday, saturday, and sunday.

The pattern stays generally the same from 0z.. don't know why it cools down.

Something that maybe some pro mets on here and chime in about, but it's getting awfully dry out there. Wouldn't that lead to the ridge being stronger then depicted? Also wouldn't that lead to the heat being slightly hotter then anticipated too? I remember hearing/reading about the feedback before, but looking for some clarification now.

The pattern stays generally the same from 0z.. don't know why it cools down.

Something that maybe some pro mets on here and chime in about, but it's getting awfully dry out there. Wouldn't that lead to the ridge being stronger then depicted? Also wouldn't that lead to the heat being slightly hotter then anticipated too? I remember hearing/reading about the feedback before, but looking for some clarification now.

Yea ptb dry ground helps temps sore faster. When the ground is wet it kind of dampens out out a little. Wrong thread but i think we will see some good t storm activity next week with battling of the heat ridge and the front draping around the northeast

I think you guys are talking about two different phenomena. ptb, the dry feedback that's been occurring over the Southern Plains this summer helps create higher heights on the time scale of a week or so, with the creation of the maritime tropical airmass. The ridge that is coming our way is that airmass being advected eastward thanks to the trough on the West Coast.

Tom is right, though, dry ground allows temperatures to increase more on a day scale because less solar energy is being wasted on evaporating water. Either way, it's hot though, because that evaporated water causes the dewpoint to increase relative to where it would be with dry ground.

Euro is redic hot.

actually its the coolest i've seen. It only has one day of 95-100 and one day of low to mid 90s and the rest in the upper 80s to near 90. We get tainted by t storm activity. from phl to mdt on north its drops .75 1.5 inches of rain from mcs activity and storms through the ten day period.

actually its the coolest i've seen. It only has one day of 95-100 and one day of low to mid 90s and the rest in the upper 80s to near 90. We get tainted by t storm activity. from phl to mdt on north its drops .75 1.5 inches of rain from mcs activity and storms through the ten day period.

With that ridge position I wouldn't take actually model temperatures.

i think your area may fair better. It seems things are aimed on a nw to se positioning which may spare you.

The mts will break up the MCS and we will get light rain rather then the heavy training t-storms. Its the way it has been the last three months even with the isolated stuff. I hope you are right but 1.5 to 2 inches of rain in my eyes is nothing. The forecasts have been this way the last two weeks. We need a MCS over eastern Ohio to form in the morning and head directly east instead of SE or NE like the past three weeks. Then we have a real chance and hopefully training thunderstorms instead of training drizzle

The mts will break up the MCS and we will get light rain rather then the heavy training t-storms. Its the way it has been the last three months even with the isolated stuff. I hope you are right but 1.5 to 2 inches of rain in my eyes is nothing. The forecasts have been this way the last two weeks. We need a MCS over eastern Ohio to form in the morning and head directly east instead of SE or NE like the past three weeks. Then we have a real chance and hopefully training thunderstorms instead of training drizzle

So thunderstorms break up over the mtns to NW but the larger & higher mtns to the west have no affect :huh:

you really need to do some research on MCS's

Don't MCS's in their later phases tend to turn and redevelop southeast ?

I agree, they do tend to turn SE if the ridge stays in place. As far as mts go, all mts in PA can break up the MCS. Its the fact that we cannot get the MCS lately to stay together in Ohio or Michigan only to reach the ridge and valley regions of PA to completely die out. I too would like to know how the MCS will say together this time vs the isolated t-storms that have consistently fallen apart before they even reach eastern Pa the past three weeks.

weekend blast furnance however backs way off on the extended torch next week from the 12Z run

lol u can't look at each model run and say "heat cancel" or like many people do during the winter when they say "storm cancel"...It's the pattern. The GFS did drop a 2 day trough after 240 in the long range but how many times has it been right? Very rarely. Besides that, it has a cool bias. This pattern, a very hot one, is well teleconnected.100+ is rare, so I wouldn't surprised if we don't get that threshold but 95-98 looks like a good bet for at least 3 days.Plus low 90's rest of period.

They'll backbuild on their southern and western end and then dive south (southeast) as the northern part of the MCS runs into a more stable atmosphere on its eastward trek.

The MCS is trying to sustain itself and using whatever instability it can to feed itself.

The Euro has a bit of a backdoor attempt on Saturday as 850's drop to around 20 and then bounce back after Sunday to above 20 C. The GFS is torch through Sunday and then a "cool" down.

It's a semantic argument at this point about what defines "big" heat but generally the hottest of the stretch looks to be Friday/Saturday on the GFS, Friday on the Euro.

Archived