• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
100 Degree Or Higher Heat Signal For Our Area This Week

bluewave

The southeast wind component should keep most areas from getting as hot as yesterday. Newark will probably get to 93 or so...the city maybe 90-91. That would be my best guess.

All bets are off tomorrow though..and you know the first day of big heat likes to overperform. I think Newark gets past 100 tomorrow with 22 C 850s advecting in by peak heating.

I agree. Newark is at 84 already at 9am. But the SE wind increasing by this afternoon probably keep temps from getting as high yesterday.

As for tomorrow, I definitely expect tomorrow over perform. My guess is 98 at Central Park and 101 at EWR. But that will gives us head start of temps for even higher temps on Friday.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the wind starts howling we're all getting to 90.

Even if we've had days of at least 90 it doesn't remind me of those past heatwaves. It doesn't feel like heatwave at all. I'm sure that'll change by Friday.

Marine forecasts are calling for light winds this morning. Increasing to south winds of 10-15 knots by noon. Then this afternoon, stronger south winds of 10-15 knots, with gusts to 20 knots.

Sounds refreshing...

And certainly nothing earth shattering for this time of the year. For those hoping for epic heat (doesn't include me), if those readings verify, it'd have to be considered a disappointment (other than maybe Friday) considering all the hype.

And certainly nothing earth shattering for this time of the year. For those hoping for epic heat (doesn't include me), if those readings verify, it'd have to be considered a disappointment

this is a joke right?

I don't know what your definition of earth shattering is, but 102-104 degrees being advertised with 24 c 850 temps in NJ and NYC is pretty much as close to extreme temperature as you can get around here.

And certainly nothing earth shattering for this time of the year. For those hoping for epic heat (doesn't include me), if those readings verify, it'd have to be considered a disappointment (other than maybe Friday) considering all the hype.

What?

Tomorrow is forecasted to be 96-100 areawide

Friday is forecasted to be 99-104 areawide

and Saturday in the mid 90's also

And this is on top of the 4-5 days in a row of over 90, that has already occured in NYC.

What?

Tomorrow is forecasted to be 96-100 areawide

Friday is forecasted to be 99-104 areawide

and Saturday in the mid 90's also

And this is on top of the 4-5 days in a row of over 90, that has already occured in NYC.

I was commenting on what you, yourself posted for the 12z NAM this morning:

12z NAM for NYC:

Today: 91

Thurs: 97

Friday: 102

Sorry that is not earth shattering if that verifies. It is not such a rare event for this area at this time of the year to have 3-5 days in the low 90's then three-four days in the mid 90's and one day barely over 100. If we saw 105 and up like we did at times last summer multiple days in a row then that would be earth shattering.

this is a joke right?

I don't know what your definition of earth shattering is, but 102-104 degrees being advertised with 24 c 850 temps in NJ and NYC is pretty much as close to extreme temperature as you can get around here.

Will it be happening other than one time at best 2 times during this stretch of heat? The answer is likely to be no. Multiple days in a row at that level like last summer now that is impressive.

12z NAM for NYC:

Sorry that is not earth shattering if that verifies. It is not such a rare event for this area at this time of the year to have 3-5 days in the low 90's then three-four days in the mid 90's and one day barely over 100. If we saw 105 and up like we did at times last summer multiple days in a row then that would be earth shattering.

Pretty sure that on average, NYC hits 100 degrees only once every 10 years. In other words, your downplaying is wrong.

Lol. Last years heat was historic. Your definition of earth shattering is ridiculous and also vague..who said this was earthshattering and why are we even including that in the convo? 90+ for several days and the possibility of two days near or over 100 with 70 degree dew points is a big deal around here

12z NAM for NYC:

most NYC stations are likely to have 3 days over 100, with ewr possibly hitting 105

Will it be happening other than one time at best 2 times during this stretch of heat? The answer is likely to be no. Multiple days in a row at that level like last summer now that is impressive.

So the only way to impress you is to have the hottest summer on record? Do you only get impressed when we get 20 inch snowstorms and up? Do you say to yourself that 15 inch storms are a dime a dozen?

The all time record high is 106. Anytime you come within a few degrees of that is impressive. Btw no one was 105 and up last year unless you're referring to the desert southwest.

Pretty sure that on average, NYC hits 100 degrees only once every 10 years. In other words, your downplaying is wrong.

yes, but i wonder if several days over 90 combined with building humidity and a few days near or over 100 with 105+ degree heat indexes is significant?

i will have to consult my college textbooks for this one.

most NYC stations are likely to have 3 days over 100, with ewr possibly hitting 105

Newark for sure can make a run at 100 tomorrow, Friday and Saturday.

I doubt NYC, LGA or JFK break it more then once or twice, but it is possible.

Either way, its so rare for NYC to hit 100, that even one time, makes it a big weather day.

NYC hit 100 multiple times last year and I don't care what the CPK max temperature readings were on the hottest days of the summer from 2005-2007 but in each summer the hottest day was 98 so just shy of 100. I was in Central Park all three of those years on the hottest day of the summer and anyone telling me it didn't break 100 was not out in it.

Archived