• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE 90 degree days for 2011

HoarfrostHubb

Are there any people still alive above the surface. I assume they all head into heat shelters

I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, and the coldest high temperature that week was 100. I think some spots in Oklahoma were touching 110, at least on some of the meso sites. Even at 11 PM at night it was still in the low to mid-90s. Everyone says it's a dry heat, but dew points were still in the low-60s. Makes me appreciate the lack of regularly occurring extremes in New England's weather.

I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, and the coldest high temperature that week was 100. I think some spots in Oklahoma were touching 110, at least on some of the meso sites. Even at 11 PM at night it was still in the low to mid-90s. Everyone says it's a dry heat, but dew points were still in the low-60s. Makes me appreciate the lack of regularly occurring extremes in New England's weather.

Truly... although I do like the range we can get... In the last year I probably experienced a 113 degree (F) temp variation. Saw 100 last summer (not IMBY, but where I was in Lowell) vs -13.6F here at home this winter

I prefer the colder of course and today is just about perfect 69/59 attm

Are there any people still alive above the surface. I assume they all head into heat shelters

:lol: Thank God (Willis Haviland Carrier) for air conditioning!

OKC will easily reach the top three warmest June on record. Right now the month's average is at 83.9 and the record is 84.3

It really is a dry heat though. It honestly makes a difference IMO

The one thing I miss is variability. I would love some 50F dreary rainy days right now lol

you would have to lose 90-100 90 degree days in the course of the decade change.

If the numbers are correct, I wonder if it is an effect of cotton region shelters vs the aspirated ASOS stations. I'm not sure when exactly the cotton region shelters were retired at the climo sites, but ASOS tends to run cooler. I've heard rumors that that is why they're afraid to convert the Death Valley station over to an AWOS/ASOS because they're afraid of it effecting the heat climo of the site.

BOS:

13.6/year from 1971-2000

13.6*10*3=408

10.2/year from 1981-2010

10.3*10*3=309

Loss of ninety-nine 90 degree degree days from the exclusion of the 70s and the inclusion of the 00s.

Yeah you're right...I can't think very well today with this high fever. :fever:

BOS:

13.6/year from 1971-2000

13.6*10*3=408

10.2/year from 1981-2010

10.3*10*3=309

Loss of ninety-nine 90 degree degree days from the exclusion of the 70s and the inclusion of the 00s.

Oh yeah, sorry. I was thinking in terms of a 10-yr average, not a 30-yr average. My bad. Long night

Big heat just doesn't happen as much as it used to, it seems. Overnight minimums have warmed significantly, but it's hard to hit the really big numbers for the most part compared to the 1950s and 1930s.

Wasn't August 1953 the time ORH hit 100F?

9/2/53 they hit 99F. 7/4/1911 they hit 102F.

Kinda crazy that that was EXACTLY 100 years ago to today. I think that is the hottest day overall in recorded history for New England. I should probably make a thread about it considering it's the 100th anniv, but I feel too lazy and lousy to look up all of the impressive numbers.

9/2/53 they hit 99F. 7/4/1911 they hit 102F.

Kinda crazy that that was EXACTLY 100 years ago to today. I think that is the hottest day overall in recorded history for New England. I should probably make a thread about it considering it's the 100th anniv, but I feel too lazy and lousy to look up all of the impressive numbers.

The Aug/Sept 1953 heat wave was impressive, NYC's longest with 13 days >90F. For Worcester to hit 99F in September is amazing. Sun angle is really fading at that point, so it's definitely more impressive in my mind than the 102F reading on 7/4 which is the heart of the summer.

The Aug/Sept 1953 heat wave was impressive, NYC's longest with 13 days >90F. For Worcester to hit 99F in September is amazing. Sun angle is really fading at that point, so it's definitely more impressive in my mind than the 102F reading on 7/4 which is the heart of the summer.

I guess for ORH that's true, but BOS only hit 100F on that day. BOS actually had an impressive 102F on 9/7/1881.

The 1911 heat wave (and hot 4th) is still imo the most impressive stretch of heat for NNE. Hot Saturday in 1975 gives it a run for its money in SNE though. All-time heat records were broken for NH, VT, and ME during that July 1911 stretch.

I guess for ORH that's true, but BOS only hit 100F on that day. BOS actually had an impressive 102F on 9/7/1881.

The 1911 heat wave (and hot 4th) is still imo the most impressive stretch of heat for NNE. Hot Saturday in 1975 gives it a run for its money in SNE though. All-time heat records were broken for NH, VT, and ME during that July 1911 stretch.

Hot Saturday is my earliest weather memory

Crazy how the number of 90 degree days dropped like that. Different station models/methods?

Big heat just doesn't happen as much as it used to, it seems. Overnight minimums have warmed significantly, but it's hard to hit the really big numbers for the most part compared to the 1950s and 1930s.

Wasn't August 1953 the time ORH hit 100F?

The current ORH site has never hit 100F...the older coop site did on the date dendrite mentioned in 1911. Anything of 94+ here I consider some serious heat as 94F has only been reached 3 times since 1991...2 of them last year.

The current ORH site has never hit 100F...the older coop site did on the date dendrite mentioned in 1911. Anything of 94+ here I consider some serious heat as 94F has only been reached 3 times since 1991...2 of them last year.

Any clue as to why the big difference? The airport is pretty much still in the urban heat island

Archived