• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

Bottom line is ...Governor Rendell was right about the whimpification of America. LOL

You live in a Northeast city ... guess what...it snows and you deal with it. You have to expect to be inconvenienced after a 20"+ Blizzard! You cannot expect NYC to have the resources to make life normal within 24 hours after such a storm.

And it simply wouldn't be cost effective for NYC to even attempt to be prepared to make things normal so fast after such a blizzard. Its not worth it when you only get a few storms like that per decade. (yes two this year, but that was a freak thing) There would be no point in developing that level of "snow fighting" infrastructure for infrequent events like this. You gotta look at the cost/benefit analysis.

Yes, I beleive that it was a City Buildings Dept SUV.

A bummer with this storm, and it typically happens wafter the big coastals, we get mild air behind it which is cutting in on my snow pack :arrowhead:

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bottom line is ...Governor Rendell was right about the whimpification of America. LOL

You live in a Northeast city ... guess what...it snows and you deal with it. You have to expect to be inconvenienced after a 20"+ Blizzard! You cannot expect NYC to have the resources to make life normal within 24 hours after such a storm.

And it simply wouldn't be cost effective for NYC to even attempt to be prepared to make things normal so fast after such a blizzard. Its not worth it when you only get a few storms like that per decade. (yes two this year, but that was a freak thing) There would be no point in developing that level of "snow fighting" infrastructure for infrequent events like this. You gotta look at the cost/benefit analysis.

Agree with the expectation of major issues and I disagree that this effort was on par with what was done during past storms. The city knows how to handle large storms like clockwork for the last 30 something years, it didn't this time. The 96' blizzard was worse. I lived on SI at the time, sure it wasn't normal for days after but most streets including deadends were plowed with in 24 hours so PD, FD could get thru.

I think Governor Rendell likes to make over the top statements to get on cable talk shows. He would have had different thoughts after 78,000 people hit the highway and were stranded during a blizzard. Either way he'd be on the cable shows :lol:

Well finally back from working 32 of the last 40 hours of my life for the city. We all can thank sanitaton for purposely stalling out on this storm simply cause budget cuts are aimed heavily at their agency come next fiscal yr. Its a damn shame cause their nonsense created chaos within other agencies. Bloomberg has to take a hit here for his nonchalant attitude towards the whole thing.

I agree that people expect too much of the City in terms of plowing/clean-up immediately following the storm, but there needed to be a greater effort made to allow emergency vehicles to pass. Fire trucks and ambulances were delayed by hours trying to get to calls because of the poor plowing, and three people died as a result. That is inexcusable.

Well finally back from working 32 of the last 40 hours of my life for the city. We all can thank sanitaton for purposely stalling out on this storm simply cause budget cuts are aimed heavily at their agency come next fiscal yr. Its a damn shame cause their nonsense created chaos within other agencies. Bloomberg has to take a hit here for his nonchalant attitude towards the whole thing.

Where do you work?

As much as temps were warmer than forecasted yesterday morning they are colder than forecasted this morning, currently sitting at 5 :snowman:

There is one simple cheap thing they could do to get paramedics through at least in an absolute emergency situation like we had during the blizzard.. Snowmobiles. :) Why doesn't city spend a little money and buy a fleet of maybe 50 snowmobiles.... They could get through any of the snow and at least get emergency responders to sick people, pregnant women, etc.

I agree that people expect too much of the City in terms of plowing/clean-up immediately following the storm, but there needed to be a greater effort made to allow emergency vehicles to pass. Fire trucks and ambulances were delayed by hours trying to get to calls because of the poor plowing, and three people died as a result. That is inexcusable.

There is one simple cheap thing they could do to get paramedics through at least in an absolute emergency situation like we had during the blizzard.. Snowmobiles. :) Why doesn't city spend a little money and buy a fleet of maybe 50 snowmobiles.... They could get through any of the snow and at least get emergency responders to sick people, pregnant women, etc.

Good idea. When they those 2-3 foot snowfalls, they could use the machines to get stranded people off the highways, attend to medical calls, and use for park patrols. They can even pick up EMS staff that live in the city that can't make it into work due to down subway lines buses, etc.

Where do you work?

As much as temps were warmer than forecasted yesterday morning they are colder than forecasted this morning, currently sitting at 5 :snowman:

Forecasts definitely busted to high last night - I got down to 10 on my weather station, but KPOU airport had a low of 6.. I think i need to move my weather station to a better location, as it consistently reads a little too high.. Too many trees around it.

Sure...I recall numerous snowfalls where people have been stranded on roads such as the Thruway Upstate where they use snowmobiles...often volunteers. This takes me way back to 1978 when my Dad was stuck between POU and Kingston in that blizzard and they received emergency assistance on the Thruway from snowmobilers. Ultimately they freed him up and he had to spend the night on the floor of one of his fellow car poolers house in Kingston. LOL. This was the old energy crisis days and they had a five guy carpool thing going to get down to work at IBM POU.

Good idea. When they those 2-3 foot snowfalls, they could use the machines to get stranded people off the highways, attend to medical calls, and use for park patrols. They can even pick up EMS staff that live in the city that can't make it into work due to down subway lines buses, etc.

Forecasts definitely busted to high last night - I got down to 10 on my weather station, but KPOU airport had a low of 6.. I think i need to move my weather station to a better location, as it consistently reads a little too high.. Too many trees around it.

I dropped to 4 right after I posted my low earlier this morning, surprising to say the least. just as much as my low of 30 yesterday morning was.

You know the block really never leaves completely up near Greenland. Unfortunately it still allows a cutter on Saturday, but this isn't going to allow the kind of extreme torch that might otherwise have occurred. Also the deep snow pack means it can really decouple at night ..big time inversion. I suspect quite a bit of snow pack survives this mini-torch.

I dropped to 4 right after I posted my low earlier this morning, surprising to say the least. just as much as my low of 30 yesterday morning was.

Lol.. I wish it were that easy. Let me put it in perspective for a minute. FDNY EMS averages more 911 calls in one day then Boston does in a month. Thats on a "normal" day. Now add 50% of call volume to that number and then factor in the weather. Thats a recipe for disaster.

The staffing wasnt the issue. NYC even had mutual aid from other agencies throughout the northeast. The problem was ppl calling 911 for nonsense and bogging up the system. 911 isnt treated the same as it is up here guys. Its abused terribly down there. The crap ppl call 911 for is utterly ridiculous. So when someone who actually needs EMS, they cant get them cause that unit is busy with a toothache. So when you add all that up plus a blizzard you are gonna have trouble. It unfortunate that it takes fatalitles for people to open up their eyes and see whats really going on.

Lol.. I wish it were that easy. Let me put it in perspective for a minute. FDNY EMS averages more 911 calls in one day then Boston does in a month. Thats on a "normal" day. Now add 50% of call volume to that number and then factor in the weather. Thats a recipe for disaster.

You guys run an engine to ems calls?

You guys run an engine to end calls?

engines donot respond to EMS runs unless ALS is extended. Its used to "kill the clock" if you know what i mean. Engine compaines are trained in minimal BLS. Another term used to describe an engine is a CFR company.

EDIT: And if they do respond they only respond to high segment calls hence the need for ALS ie. cardiac arrest.. cardiac condition.... unconcious etc..

engines donot respond to EMS runs unless ALS is extended. Its used to "kill the clock" if you know what i mean. Engine compaines are trained in minimal BLS. Another term used to describe an engine is a CFR company.

EDIT: And if they do respond they only respond to high

segment calls hence the need for ALS ie. cardiac arrest.. cardiac condition.... unconcious etc..

I know what you mean.my username is my department name, the 17 is my number.I am a 19 year volunteer.It has been a really bad year for us this year, and I have decided to get my 20 year " life member" status and sit back with the wife and kids. I have been a line officer for 16 of the going on 20 years and I have decided it is time for some of the junior people to step up and learn instead of talking about it.

I see what you mean.:) Course I was only talking about for the absolute emergencies like the pregnant woman that waited 8 hours in labor, etc. IE where people are dying because nobody can get there.

Is

I see what you mean.:) Course I was only talking about for the absolute emergencies like the pregnant woman that waited 8 hours in labor, etc. IE where people are dying because nobody can get there.

Is

Believe it or not but pregnancy calls are considered low priority.., Normally she would of gotten a response right away but when there are 1300 calls holding ( 99% of them nonsense) unfortunately she is gonna take a back seat. Like I said before its unfortunate that ppl had to die in order for the truth to come out about the system.

Archived