• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential thunderstorms/svr thunderstorms Thread

tombo82685

I live in Bensalem along the Neshaminy Creek and we got hit the worst IMO 80mph, the house was shaking, violent lightening. A tree fell onto my boat, lots of debris on the street, hail, and the power has been out since 8PM, just turned back on 15 minutes ago. Which sucked because my computer won't turn on anymore which is going to be another fun week of fixing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite the storms yesterday. I was driving back to NJ from Rochester, NY and went through 5 thunderstorms. The action started around Binghamton, NY then followed me all the way home. Some of the lightning was intense. One storm while I was on the northeast extension of the PA Turnpike (I think I was on the Bucks County part) had hail but I am not real sure how big it was. It did not appear to be real large, perhaps penny size. The rain was dumping down big time. I drove through a gust front twice and it was interesting watching the vehicle thermometer change fairly quickly. I felt like I was core punching since I went through several thunderstorms. It sure made the long drive more exciting.

I was actually at the Phillies game last night. I only go to 1 or 2 games a year, but this one was a good one (weather-wise). I told the folks I was with that we may need to duck and cover before the night was over because of storms to the west. In the 3rd inning, with the clouds darkening, the winds kicked up suddenly and everyone stopped playing to look around. I figured it was a gust front/outflow boundary since no lightning or rain was here yet. At that time, the PA Announcer said "the National Weather Service is expecting severe weather to hit the area, please leave the seating area now". Some folks said nothing was going to happen, but 20 minutes later the sky opened up and everyone went running inside. The people I was with stayed near the door area to spot for strange clouds or hail. The winds gusted to around 50 mph and the rain was spinning around. The flag poles at center field were swinging back and forth. At about 8:30, pea-sized hail started to fall for a few minutes. I picked up a couple of stones to examine them. I remembered I had my spotter card and decided to make my first ever report. I know its not a big deal, but it was interesting seeing it for the first time. Judging by the hail and damage to other parts of the city, it looks like the park got lucky. Much luckier than June 24 of last year anyway. Still, the storm was quite impressive and the light show awed some of the fans who viewed it. On a side note, some fan jumped onto the field and the tarp during the height of the storm and was tackled by security. Would not have been cool if any of them had been struck by lightning. Thankfully, nobody at the park was hurt this night and Mt. Holly proves once again why they are one of the best in the business.

I saw the gust front on radar and sure enough right around 8:15PM I went outside and the trees were blowing as the wind gusted above 40mph as it pushed through. The sky was completely pitch black to my east and then the lightning started-although the main storms stayed to my north we still had some decent rains and a nice light show for about an hour. :thumbsup:

I was looking at KDOX a little bit ago checking out the strong storm in Sussex county. I switched to the Velocity Data and saw what appeared to be a brief yet sudden flare up of gate-to-gate rotation which quickly disappeared. I thought to myself "I hope that wasn't a brief tornado". No reports came in of anything so I figured nothing happened....until I saw this:

0522 PM TSTM WND DMG 3 SE SEAFORD 38.62N 75.58W

06/10/2011 SUSSEX DE 911 CALL CENTER

ROOF DAMAGE TO HOMES. TREES DOWN. PRODUCE STAND

DAMAGED.

Maybe it was just a Microburst from a collapsing storm, but with the way the sea breeze front interacted with the nearly stationary storm, I would not be surprised if it was a quick spin-up.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

135 PM EDT SAT JUN 11 2011

.SYNOPSIS...

A WARM FRONT FROM SOUTHERN DELAWARE TO NEAR WASHINGTON DC MAY EDGE

SLOWLY NORTH LATE TODAY AND PROBABLY BE THE PRIMARY FOCUS FOR

STRONG THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH TONIGHT. A COLD FRONT WILL APPROACH

THE AREA SUNDAY ...CROSSING THE REGION LATE SUNDAY NIGHT. HIGH

PRESSURE WILL BUILD IN BEHIND THE FRONT FOR EARLY IN THE WEEK. A

FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL APPROACH THE REGION AROUND MIDWEEK.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 9 PM THIS EVENING/...

NOON UPDATE: CUT BACK ON THUNDER RISK NE 1/3RD OF THE AREA THAT HAD

THUNDER IN FOR THIS AFTN AND EVE. THEREFORE...NOT EXPECTING

THUNDER IN NNJ AND THE CW THIS AFTN. ZONES AFM/PFM SENT.

THE 12Z GFS CONTINUES TO SUGGEST A SIGNIFICANT SVR/FFW TYPE EVENT AND

IT LOOKS LIKE MODELS ARE TRYING TO SAY N MD INTO DEL LATER THIS

AFTN/EVE OR FAR S PA. 12Z GFS TT...SFC BOUNDARY AND TO A SMALL

EXTENT SHEAR ALL SUPPORT.

12Z GFS SUGGESTS ONE OF THE DRIVERS AS A 30-35 KT WLY 700MB JET

SHOWN IN S OH AT 18Z MOVING TO NR KAOO AT 00Z. IF THIS IS

TRUE...WE SHOULD LIGHT UP WITH STG TSTMS SHORTLY AFTER 18Z

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN I76 IN PA AND I 70 IN MD.

Archived