• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Smoke at the beach

Plowable

Hey anyone know why it was so smokey this morning here at the beach? It did'nt have the typical brush fire smell to it and I really heard no sirens or anything indicating a fire close by . Smelled more like a structure fire but it was pretty heavy until the wind started to blow off the ocean and pushed it out of the area.

Hey anyone know why it was so smokey this morning here at the beach? It did'nt have the typical brush fire smell to it and I really heard no sirens or anything indicating a fire close by . Smelled more like a structure fire but it was pretty heavy until the wind started to blow off the ocean and pushed it out of the area.

What is your location?

Winds blowing smoke from N.C. wildfire into Myrtle Beach area

Tonya Root

[email protected] Smoke from a N.C. wildfire nearly 300 miles away from Horry County is drifting into the area thanks to strong winds, according to authorities.

Bill Walker, the N.C. Forestry Cape Fear Area ranger, said he’s fielded dozens of calls Monday about smoke in Brunswick County, but learned it was drifting from the wildfire located near the Outer Banks.

“It has smoke up the entire state and now the East Coast,” Walker said.

Scott Garner, Brunswick County fire marshal said the entire southeast area of North Carolina experienced heavy smoke conditions Monday.

There were no known wildfires or control burns in Brunswick County that can be attributed to the smoke, Garner said.

Officials contributed the smoke in the area to the Pain’s Bay Fire in Dare County, N.C., which has burned about 45,000 acres, Garner said.

“Weather conditions overnight created an inversion and with the prevailing wind direction has allowed the smoke to travel to our area and cause this condition,” Garner said. “The National Weather Service predicts that the inversion should start breaking up over the next couple of hours which should allow the heaviest smoke to break up and spread out to lighten the conditions.”

The smoke began drifting into the North Myrtle Beach area this morning, and authorities with the city and Horry County began receiving calls, according to officials.

Authorities said they will continue to monitor the area and residents report any wildfires to their local authorities.

More details will be posted as they become available.

http://www.google.co...iw=1440&bih=718

Google is your friend!

What really sucks is these fires are extremely difficult to put out. We have had smoke from this fire off and on for weeks now and unless we get lots of rain soon its just gonna get worse.

They had to set up 70+ pumps to flood the Evans Road Fire several years ago to get it to burn out and this thing has already burned more acres than that fire. The real problem is these peat bog fires are basically like coal fires they run underground along the peat seams and can pop up new spots days or even weeks later. This is why nothing short of setting up dozens of pumps to flood the land or a good long several days of rain is gonna stop this fire.

Thanks for the info, pretty wild ,from where i m from we have brush fires and a big one is maybe 100 acres ~laughing~ but thats very impressive for smoke to drift 300 miles like that. Well off to work I must go tis season here at the beach and we have to keep our tourists all happy , warm and fuzzy so they come back.....

Later guys thanks again

What really sucks is these fires are extremely difficult to put out. We have had smoke from this fire off and on for weeks now and unless we get lots of rain soon its just gonna get worse.

They had to set up 70+ pumps to flood the Evans Road Fire several years ago to get it to burn out and this thing has already burned more acres than that fire. The real problem is these peat bog fires are basically like coal fires they run underground along the peat seams and can pop up new spots days or even weeks later. This is why nothing short of setting up dozens of pumps to flood the land or a good long several days of rain is gonna stop this fire.

Also, the terrain in this area is more difficult to navigate that the Evans Road Fire because of the geogrphical features of the area. If the soil is not peat, it is a very soft sand. No equipment can get back there, not matter how big the tracks or tires.

I noticed it yesterday around 12:00.I thought it was just haze,but I guess not.I was right there at the Tanger outlets on 17 when I saw it.Crazy how that smoke traveled so far from where the fire actually is.

there is also a decent sized brush fire NW of Conway, SC from yesterday thats still smoldering, doubt thats getting into NMB with a SW seabreeze blowing though

It's bad back toward Aynor, Cool Spring, and Galivants Ferry. Came through there about an hour ago.

there is also a decent sized brush fire NW of Conway, SC from yesterday thats still smoldering, doubt thats getting into NMB with a SW seabreeze blowing though

So you guys have a brush fire season down here per se' ? or is it pretty much throughout the summer months . I know up home spring time mid april to end of May was the prime time for brush and woods fires then it kind of petered out for the rest of the summer with just a smattering of them here and there ...

So you guys have a brush fire season down here per se' ? or is it pretty much throughout the summer months . I know up home spring time mid april to end of May was the prime time for brush and woods fires then it kind of petered out for the rest of the summer with just a smattering of them here and there ...

its usually March-May, driest months, but can extend into summer when its extremely dry like this year so far

So I guess even tho with the high humidities the heat just saps the moisture in a couple of hours? it's so damp here at the beach, many mornings i roll out put the truck in reverse and it's like someone pouring water down my windshield . So this is not normal for this region to be this dry? , Bear with me this is only my second full time summer here so still trying to get a grip on the climo. It does seem the water temp is heating up faster this year then last.

its usually March-May, driest months, but can extend into summer when its extremely dry like this year so far

• 2 weeks later...

Scanning through my twitter account, I saw where a Wildfire broke out today in Horry County...I was down there the last 3 days, and now they have a new source of smoke coming from their own backyard...

I thought I heard that up in Little River they had a decent little fire going , I don't know if it was the source of smoke the last couple days maybe . I know they burned up a barn and couple of campers and such the other morning . I don't know of any current brushfires round the NMB area , it just amazes me that the fires are so large and that the smoke travels hundreds of miles we never had anything close to that magnitude up home ...

I thought I heard that up in Little River they had a decent little fire going , I don't know if it was the source of smoke the last couple days maybe . I know they burned up a barn and couple of campers and such the other morning . I don't know of any current brushfires round the NMB area , it just amazes me that the fires are so large and that the smoke travels hundreds of miles we never had anything close to that magnitude up home ...

Looking at WPDE website, this new fire is about 360 acres in the Carolina Forest area which by looking at the map is closer to Myrtle and a bit west of the Intercostal Waterway...

Looking at WPDE website, this new fire is about 360 acres in the Carolina Forest area which by looking at the map is closer to Myrtle and a bit west of the Intercostal Waterway...

Now up to around 800 acres, but it's 60% contained. But as of now, fires are burning in several different places, so some smoke can come in with the wind blowing in a variety of directions.

two fires here in Horry currently burning. The "Hornet" fire near Carolina Forest south of SC HWY 90 is around 800+ acres and 60% contained as of last night. The other fire ~175 acres is in the vicinity of SC HWY 905 in Longs, SC. It was 100% contained as of this morning.

Archived