Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part II

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tropical wave east of the Islands looks more interesting today. Still low in latitude though

Once the GOM upper low shifts west, ridging expands across the rest of the Caribbean. This thing's running into SA and then might get a few hours over water at most.

From the afternoon Caribbean Narrative:

PER MODEL GUIDANCE...THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE IS TO LIFT TO THE

NORTHWEST TOWARDS FLORIDA/SOUTHEAST USA THROUGH 54/60 HRS...WHERE

IT IS TO ESTABLISH A FOOTHOLD. THE SUBEQUATORIAL

RIDGE...MEANWHILE...IS TO GRADUALLY EXPAND ACROSS THE ISLAND CHAIN

TO THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN. THE RIDGE IS TO SETTLE OVER PUERTO

RICO/USVI LATER DURING THE WEEKEND. AS THE SUBEQUATORIAL RIDGE

PUSHES EAST...AND THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE LIFTS AWAY...THE TUTT WILL

THEN YIELD TO THE EVOLVING UPPER PATTERN. THROUGH FRIDAY

EVENING/SATURDAY MORNING IT WILL RELOCATE ACROSS

HISPANIOLA...WHILE STRETCHING TO THE SOUTHWEST TO THE CENTRAL

CARIBBEAN. THIS IS SOMEWHAT WEAKER THAN WHAT MODELS PREVIOUSLY

SUGGESTED.

It looks like 96L might be trying to take on some subtropical characteristics. That might make it slightly more resilient to the shear ongoing over the best low level vorticity. Its also worth noting the the ECWMF was actually the model that best handled the development of more focused low level vorticity yesterday in the Gulf of Mexico. The NAM was keying on a feature farther east in the Atlantic.

This is the 48 hour forecast from the 00z run last night.

308wjet.gif

Thanks. If it really is cyclical, it would be back in 6 or 8 weeks, nearer the prime time of the season, no? And again in October for a final Caribbean peak, or is that gross oversimplification.

Empirical propagation would say so... I think the real MJO pulse is a bit dampened, and it's been artificially enhanced by other factors in the models... but at least the last week of July and the first two weeks of August will probably not be enhanced by the MJO.

Empirical propagation would say so... I think the real MJO pulse is a bit dampened, and it's been artificially enhanced by other factors in the models... but at least the last week of July and the first two weeks of August will probably not be enhanced by the MJO.

Agree on all counts, not that you need my endorsement.

It is supposed to be slow in July.

With more than a little luck, that wave passing 10ºE could be in the Chesapeake or DelMarVa and running NNW around July 22nd. Not favored, but I am always glass half full optimistic.

irnm7.GIF

Databuoy off Virginia Beach is 25.4º and has over two weeks to warm further, Frying Pan Shoals is 27.5º.

Not probable, but not impossible.

Update. All a matter of timing the next EC trough, if this actually develops as the model forecasts. I think it would slip under the one near 60º.

post-138-0-54732000-1310071310.gif

It looks like 96L might be trying to take on some subtropical characteristics. That might make it slightly more resilient to the shear ongoing over the best low level vorticity. Its also worth noting the the ECWMF was actually the model that best handled the development of more focused low level vorticity yesterday in the Gulf of Mexico. The NAM was keying on a feature farther east in the Atlantic.

like a drunk dryin out

http://www.esl.lsu.edu/home/

If it comes back around late August, no worries.

Quality has a quantity all its own,

Edit to add- crawls, doesn't in in that forecast? I posted the 180 day OLR earlier and noted it doesn't change as much as I'd expect.

Yeah, it doesn't really make a difference whether or not July has any real activity. Doesn't surprise me at all that it's slow. Been doing this for 12 years now.

August should be a fun month if this season doesn't go 2006 on us...

The TW near the Windward Islands was dropped in the TWO, but the HPC did mention the feature...

A FEATURE

/WESTWARD MOVING SURFACE TROUGH WITHIN THE TROPICS AND SUBTROPICS/

WAS KEPT ABOARD PER YESTERDAYS 17Z COORDINATION CALL WITH NHC.

avn-l.jpg

I hate to switch things back to the far East Atlantic, but there is quite a impressive MCV from the most recent tropical wave to emerge off the African continent. I recently read up about the effect the Guinea Highlands have on emerging tropical waves, helping to provide the initial low level vorticity that sparks warm core cyclogenesis. It certainly seems to be an influence here! Several papers by Berry and Thorncroft (2005) and Hopsch et al. (2010) show the influence this region might have on tropical cyclogenesis.

IR.gif

I hate to switch things back to the far East Atlantic, but there is quite a impressive MCV from the most recent tropical wave to emerge off the African continent. I recently read up about the effect the Guinea Highlands have on emerging tropical waves, helping to provide the initial low level vorticity that sparks warm core cyclogenesis. It certainly seems to be an influence here! Several papers by Berry and Thorncroft (2005) and Hopsch et al. (2010) show the influence this region might have on tropical cyclogenesis.

IR.gif

Thats the disturbance I posted about 3 and 4 days ago, last best shot at a Mid-Atlantic storm around July 22nd.

Archived