• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Model thread

tombo82685

Unfortunately the NAO could completely switch which would eradicate the vortex and kill off the block, plus with a -PNA, all we'll have to look forward to is a lake cutter. If Richmond or parts of N.C. get accumulating snows out of this, I'll be completely shocked. You don't see that happen too often in a strong La Nina with a clipper.

The pattern doesn't look to favorable for snows north of D.C. right now, I'd rather have it look more like last December where we saw storms amplify and get further north, so at least those in and around Philly and NYC got involved.

Elaborating what you said, I think that this winter will be of extremes. Neutral NAOs like what we're headed into will be few and far between. We'll either be largely positive or largely negative. I fear that allowing the NAO to break up would just invite lake cutter after lake cutter. After all, the PNA is not going to be + on many occasions with a La Nina. Our best bet is some sort of overrunning feature but even to get that, the 50/50 low needs to be further north. We need the NAO to be around -1 for that to happen. Right now, the blocking is so strong such that the 50/50 low is suppressed to the northeast. The synoptics are actually perfect for snow in the southern MA but it's just incredibly rare to see during La Nina.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately the NAO could completely switch which would eradicate the vortex and kill off the block, plus with a -PNA, all we'll have to look forward to is a lake cutter. If Richmond or parts of N.C. get accumulating snows out of this, I'll be completely shocked. You don't see that happen too often in a strong La Nina with a clipper.

The pattern doesn't look to favorable for snows north of D.C. right now, I'd rather have it look more like last December where we saw storms amplify and get further north, so at least those in and around Philly and NYC got involved.

NYC will be fine. Our time will come. Our storms usually happen when the NAO switches to positive from negative.Also, I wouldn't be shocked to see January or February come in with more snow than December.

When the year is over KNYC will have received more snow (possibly considerably more) than KDCA...

I disagree, Personally I think neither see much...I think December will feature too strong of blocking then we go into the positive NAO phase....All indications point to a January thaw..February and March is where we are going to have to get it done and Im not so confident in an LA Nina winter.

Upper midwest actually does really well with this clipper. I imagine ratios are pretty decent.

I imagine some places in Minnesota and Iowa seeing upwards of 10 inches. One of the more robust precip. fields from a clipper in the midwest I've seen in a while...

I disagree, Personally I think neither see much...I think December will feature too strong of blocking then we go into the positive NAO phase....All indications point to a January thaw..February and March is where we are going to have to get it done and Im not so confident in an LA Nina winter.

How much do you thnk NYC ends up with?

The surface temps say thats alot of rain.....or unless im reading wrong/

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_ten_072m.gif

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_ten_078m.gif

yea, it's possible.. I wasn't paying too close attention to temps..just precip amounts.. the storm kinda just retrogrades and sits over northern new england for a while.

The 108 - 111 hour, the low really cranks up and dumps on them

yea, it's possible.. I wasn't paying too close attention to temps..just precip amounts.. the storm kinda just retrogrades and sits over northern new england for a while.

Yeah the 2nd storm that backs in seems to be more snow for them.......Should see alot of snow showers in the area if this surface depiction is true off the 00z gfs

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/images/gfs_ten_120m.gif

Yeah i forgot his model site comes out faster.........verbatim it looks to be rain at start for them....my aplogies

they have severe bl issues, atleast from 925 down its abv freezing, from about hr 111 on they have bl issues

actually through out the whole run down east and northern maine have bl issues

Archived