• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Model thread

tombo82685

February 5-6th 2010 was the only rival to Jan 1996 had it came up and slammed us.

I know, and that storm totally colors my perception of last winter.  It went from being totally historic to just merely epic lol.  Feb 5-6, 2010 was the worst I have felt about a near miss since March 2001.  Fortunately, we didnt end the winter on a near miss like we did back in 01.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 5-6th 2010 was the only rival to Jan 1996 had it came up and slammed us.

Or if we had colder air for February 10-11th as well...

And if we had colder air for Feb 10-11 and that thing had stalled out for a bit it would have been like Feb 1978 for us.

I know, and that storm totally colors my perception of last winter. It went from being totally historic to just merely epic lol. Feb 5-6, 2010 was the worst I have felt about a near miss since March 2001. Fortunately, we didnt end the winter on a near miss like we did back in 01.

Yes me too.

I was in shock when I was reading that Marcus's area of Maryland was getting nearly 3 feet of snow.

Insanity at its best.

I mean, Columbia, Maryland had 34 inches from that baby.

And if we had colder air for Feb 10-11 and that thing had stalled out for a bit it would have been like Feb 1978 for us.

That truly would have made it the best storm ever if we got anything CLOSE to what SNE got in '78 here or on Long Island to what they got in '78.

Not sure but I remember my snow totals from every month that winter.:snowman:

The video of the March storm shows just how vulnerable parts of NYC are to storm surge, and that would be nothing compared with a Cat 1/2 plowing west or into the city. Huge parts of Brooklyn and bits of lower Manhattan are going to be in major trouble when the next big hurricane comes along.

It was even more dramatic for DC as after 96, where totals were roughly similar to just slightly lower, we only had a small clipper--after this past storm, my house in McLean had another 12-14" of snow with the 2/10 event, for roughly 40" between the two and over 36" on the ground. This was after 4" on 2/2 and 6.5" on 1/30, FWIW.

It was even more dramatic for DC as after 96, where totals were roughly similar to just slightly lower, we only had a small clipper--after this past storm, my house in McLean had another 12-14" of snow with the 2/10 event, for roughly 40" between the two and over 36" on the ground. This was after 4" on 2/2 and 6.5" on 1/30, FWIW.

That's insane. Seriously. :snowman:

What was your peak snow depth? 40" or so?

That's insane. Seriously. :snowman:

I went back to DC for 1/30, came back to NY two days later I think, then went back to DC on the 5th and came back to the city the 8th. Came just in time on 2/5 as it had just started to snow, but there wasn't a bunch left from the previous storms, maybe 2-3" in general with a few bare spots. The top depth I saw was when I came back to DC again 2/13 or 14 and there was roughly 30-32" on the ground, but I'm sure McLean had 36"+ right after the second storm (I got 27" in the first storm).

That's insane. Seriously.  :snowman:

Probably like where the Poconos were in 1993-94.  I remember seeing two story houses cut in half with snowdepth lol-- not drifting, the snow was that deep everywhere!

Probably like where the Poconos were in 1993-94. I remember seeing two story houses cut in half with snowdepth lol-- not drifting, the snow was that deep everywhere!

Southeastern PA after the Blizz of 1996 had (where they got 35 to 40 inches of snow), had another 10-13" from the clipper, probably had a depth of 45+ inches after January 12th 1996.

For example, Reading PA had 37 inches from the Blizzard alone....

York had about 40" from the blizzard alone.....

Feb 25-26 could have rivaled Jan 1996 if we had more cold air.

I know, and that storm totally colors my perception of last winter. It went from being totally historic to just merely epic lol. Feb 5-6, 2010 was the worst I have felt about a near miss since March 2001. Fortunately, we didnt end the winter on a near miss like we did back in 01.

Some models were printing out decent amounts for the Feb 5-6 storm for our area. :arrowhead:

The video of the March storm shows just how vulnerable parts of NYC are to storm surge, and that would be nothing compared with a Cat 1/2 plowing west or into the city. Huge parts of Brooklyn and bits of lower Manhattan are going to be in major trouble when the next big hurricane comes along.

Brooklyn and LI would be gone.

Feb 25-26 could have rivaled Jan 1996 if we had more cold air.

Some models were printing out decent amounts for the Feb 5-6 storm for our area. :arrowhead:

Brooklyn and LI would be gone.

That thing had 3+ QPF....

We would have gotten 3 feet plus...

That thing had 3+ QPF....

We would have gotten 3 feet plus...

It would have been our March 1888 or Dec 1992 repeat with more snow lol.

March 1888, even though it started as rain, was very probably undermeasured at Central Park.  26" in Brooklyn and 38" on the North Shore means NYC probably got somewhere in between those two numbers, rather than the 21" official report.

It would have been our March 1888 or Dec 1992 repeat with more snow lol.

March 1888, even though it started as rain, was very probably undermeasured at Central Park. 26" in Brooklyn and 38" on the North Shore means NYC probably got somewhere in between those two numbers, rather than the 21" official report.

38" on the North Shore of LI?

Wow! Wonder if the blizz of '78 had near those totals....

Dec 2009 on LI was very impressive too, 26 to 28" of snow.

38" on the North Shore of LI?

Wow! Wonder if the blizz of '78 had near those totals....

Dec 2009 on LI was very impressive too, 26 to 28" of snow.

Yeah, the totals I remember reading about which were real eyeopeners were 38" on the north shore of LI and 44" right across the sound in New Haven, CT.  I believe there was a 38" total from the north shore of Queens also, and 26" in southern Brooklyn-- so thats probably the amount Ant and I would have gotten.

Archived