• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
0z Model thread

tombo82685

Yeah there'll be an extended period of below normal temperatures and occasionally flurries from the cold ULL stationed over us. The coldest temperatures look to come around December 8th and 9th when 850mb temperatures drop well below -10C on the GFS. It should warm up a bit by mid-month but more threats appear to be looming on the models.

I hope this doesnt end up being like one of those 80s winters when it gets mild when the big storms come and when its cold all we have our flurries.

Why is it you like -PDO again? LOL  I like +PDO when we have more of a chance of having a nino than a -PDO when we get crazy ninas like this.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this doesnt end up being like one of those 80s winters when it gets mild when the big storms come and when its cold all we have our flurries.

Why is it you like -PDO again? LOL I like +PDO when we have more of a chance of having a nino than a -PDO when we get crazy ninas like this.

The -PDO gives you a lot more weak El Niños which is statistically the best ENSO state for NYC....we had a ton of weak El Niños in the last -PDO cycle like 63-64, 68-69, 69-70, all of which were snowy. Even the La Niña winters back then weren't bad (especially if you travel north to ski) like 55-56, 64-65, 66-67, 70-71...

Also helps cool down the Arctic.

The best April event recently for me was in 2003, it was just another reason why that winter was so great. We got between 5-6 inches from that April event, and yeah most people couldn't believe it was snowing in April either or in October. God forbid we ever see snow in May.

Did we ever see snow in May?

Why is it you like -PDO again? LOL I like +PDO when we have more of a chance of having a nino than a -PDO when we get crazy ninas like this.

The increase in La Ninas is what ultimately will be the cause of the next cool cycle, so a -PDO is not such a bad thing. Having an el nino every season would really cause a global warming roar.

The increase in La Ninas is what ultimately will be the cause of the next cool cycle, so a -PDO is not such a bad thing. Having an el nino every season would really cause a global warming roar.

Oh yeah, back in the 80s and early 90s, this was rampant and people were even saying that global warming causes strong el ninos-- which is about the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.

Yes.

Yeah May 10, 1977 dumped 6" in Boston Common with nearly two feet in some parts of the Berkshires....crazy storm, probably a one in two hundred year event. It was during an incredibly warm spring and temperatures soared to near 80F a few days later. The storm was very damaging to some trees that had already begun leaf-out.

JFK had 5" in December 2005, so you might want to check your figures...you didn't get in on the 12/9 event, IIRC...

Maybe Brooklyn got in on it lol-- there was such a sharp cut off with that storm.  Plus he definitely got more than us in the Feb 06 storm.

Yeah May 10, 1977 dumped 6" in Boston Common with nearly two feet in some parts of the Berkshires....crazy storm, probably a one in two hundred year event. It was during an incredibly warm spring and temperatures soared to near 80F a few days later. The storm was very damaging to some trees that had already begun leaf-out.

In that little snowstorm wars ncaa tourney like bracket I organized-- I pitted May 10, 1977 vs Vet Day 1987.  Which do you think is the rarer event?

I heard that winter was a great one for the area. My dad always tells me stories about the 1977 winter. It was so cold and snowy.

It wasn't really that snowy for NYC, basically an average year...the only areas that got hit hard were Eastern New England and of course the lake effect belts with the brutally cold temperatures and consistent NW flow. December and January were like 10F below average and then the thaw came in February. It was a brutal winter overall, and the next year would be almost as cold and much snowier for the East Coast. 76-77, 77-78, and 78-79 were all historic winters for different reasons, came after a multi-year Nina which is where I think this ENSO event might be good.

I do hope March turns up good this year. I'm so sick of these pathetic March's where nothing happens. I think La Ninas tend to begin strong and end strong, especially as they start to weaken. The La Nina should weaken by March..

Last March, we had one of the greatest nor'easters we have seen in a LONG TIME, probably since December 1992.

Maybe Brooklyn got in on it lol-- there was such a sharp cut off with that storm. Plus he definitely got more than us in the Feb 06 storm.

I remember quite clearly that I got 11 inches of snow in December. I was saying to myself in mid January ( is 11 going to be it for the winter? lol ). January was really depressing. Who know that the biggest snowstorm in NYC's history was about to come in February. A great storm in a ****ty pattern.

May 1977 easy!

Haha, you would have loved this bracket thing we made.... basically, we had Nov-Dec as one regional, Jan and Feb had their own regionals and Mar-April as the fourth regional.  Then we had to pick 8 of the biggest storms and divide them up into the regionals and "compete".  I went as far back as the blizzard of 1888 so I could get enough storms for the snow tourney.

I do hope March turns up good this year. I'm so sick of these pathetic March's where nothing happens. I think La Ninas tend to begin strong and end strong, especially as they start to weaken. The La Nina should weaken by March..

Maybe even by February.  Is that what happened in 88-89 and 05-06?

I remember quite clearly that I got 11 inches of snow in December. I was saying to myself in mid January ( is 11 going to be it for the winter? lol ). January was really depressing. Who know that the biggest snowstorm in NYC's history was about to come in February. A great storm in a ****ty pattern.

As we talked about on Eastern in the past, myself, Alex, and many others...

February 2006 isn't the biggest snowstorm....

Jan 96 was 8 to10 inches too low at NYC. SI got over 27" Newark got 28"

My dad recalls 28"

My grandfathers both tell me around 30 inches fell Nutley NJ area.

The -PDO gives you a lot more weak El Niños which is statistically the best ENSO state for NYC....we had a ton of weak El Niños in the last -PDO cycle like 63-64, 68-69, 69-70, all of which were snowy. Even the La Niña winters back then weren't bad (especially if you travel north to ski) like 55-56, 64-65, 66-67, 70-71...

Also helps cool down the Arctic.

La ninas after El ninos are supposed to be pretty good around here-- like 66-67 and 95-96.  But the strength of this one might be too much.  I agree about weak events being best for us, either weak el nino or weak la nina.

As we talked about on Eastern in the past, myself, Alex, and many others...

February 2006 isn't the biggest snowstorm....

Jan 96 was 10 inches too low at NYC. Should have been 28.2 or 30.2 inches.

Jan 1996 was the only time Ive ever looked outside my window and thought I was in the Alps.  And going outside to see it actually enhanced that perception.

I know, but I meant snowfall wise.

March has sucked lately everywhere in the East...I got 10" in Dobbs Ferry in the 3/2/09 event, but I barely count that because it's at the very beginning of the month and would be in February if it weren't artificially shortened to 28 days. March 2009 was basically snowless after that, with a 1" event on 3/20....11" isn't a bad March for Southern Westchester although as mentioned it was a one hit wonder.

2005 was the last decent March, and 2004 was great...I remember shoveling off the tennis courts to begin varsity practice as it was still snowy at the very end of the month. I think we had two 6" storms that month.

Last March, we had one of the greatest nor'easters we have seen in a LONG TIME, probably since December 1992.

Snowfall wise, well, we had a decent March in 09.

How much with the 12/9 that was 6" in CPK and rain in Brooklyn?

Not sure but I remember my snow totals from every month that winter.:snowman:

Jan 1996 was the only time Ive ever looked outside my window and thought I was in the Alps. And going outside to see it actually enhanced that perception.

February 5-6th 2010 was the only rival to Jan 1996 had it came up and slammed us.

Archived