• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Severe weather threat on Tuesday?

weatherwiz

Just as I type that the mesoanalysis updated and things got a bit more unstable :arrowhead:

It's probably going to be really hard to get any severe today...we'll see a few reports but there really isn't much to get the storms to acquire strong enough updrafts.

I think any reports we see will be wind and no hail reports (maybe pea)

I think people are just humbled by whats going on out on the plains.. enjoy the weather we have its the only weather you got

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just looking towards Friday!

I looked at your thread for Friday...seems like a stretch to me. We need to build significant heat in here, or at least to NY/PA to bring the damage.

I'm looking forward to today...HighmofoRisk for the Plains. Much easier to watch from 2k miles away.

AMOUT

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0926 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1234 PM CDT TUE MAY 24 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF SRN NEW ENGLAND AND THE NORTHEAST CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY VALID 241734Z - 241930Z AN ISOLATED THREAT FOR DAMAGING WIND MAY DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON. OVERALL MARGINAL/SPORADIC NATURE OF THE SEVERE THREAT SHOULD PRECLUDE THE NEED FOR A WW...WITH A 20 PERCENT PROBABILITY OF ISSUANCE BY 20Z. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS HAVE RECENTLY COMMENCED ACROSS PORTIONS OF SRN VT THROUGH ERN/CNTRL NY INTO NRN PA WITHIN A BROADLY CYCLONIC UPPER-LEVEL FLOW REGIME. ACTIVITY WILL LIKELY STRUGGLE TO BECOME ROBUST GIVEN POOR MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES OF AROUND 6 DEG C/KM AT 700-500 MB SAMPLED IN REGIONAL 12Z RAOBS. DESPITE AREAS OF SCATTERED TO OVERCAST CLOUD COVERAGE...POCKETS OF STRONGER HEATING WILL RESULT IN A WEAKLY UNSTABLE AIR MASS. GIVEN MODERATE EFFECTIVE SHEAR OF 20 TO 30 KT...OVERALL SEVERE POTENTIAL SHOULD REMAIN MARGINAL AND PERHAPS YIELD ISOLATED DOWNBURSTS IN STRONGER CORES. ..GRAMS.. 05/24/2011

It's the biggest issue for CT at least..some clearing to the west..but too little too late..these clouds over us will move right up over BOS and destroy their chances too

lol not really

weak shear and piss poor lapse rates. The sun is coming back out in W CT... insolation isn't really the issue.

I looked at your thread for Friday...seems like a stretch to me. We need to build significant heat in here, or at least to NY/PA to bring the damage.

I'm looking forward to today...HighmofoRisk for the Plains. Much easier to watch from 2k miles away.

Well I don't know if SNE will get into the threat but I think parts of PA/NY will and I'm going chasing that day so I can go out there!

The problem with that train of thought is , the Hartford Little League team is not going to beat the Red Sox and Yankees in a major league 9 -inning game. Impossibility.

But we CAN technically get a plains-like thunderstorm here in NE, once in a blue moon.

Much the same argument can be made for hurricanes compared to tropical regions. No we don't hit quite as hard and not nearly as often, but once in a great while we do get obliterated.

Don't take it too literally. In other words, they aren't even in the same league.

It's the biggest issue for CT at least..some clearing to the west..but too little too late..these clouds over us will move right up over BOS and destroy their chances too

If we had better lapse rates we would be much more unstable right now...shear also sucks, even if we had the shear values that were around this morning we would probably see a bit more in the way of svr today.

All things we need including sun are not present. As usual.

Even your idea from earlier of widespread general storms seems in trouble

Yeah but again lack of sun isn't what's precluding severe. It's really not an issue. Widespread severe wasn't happening anyway.

If we had better lapse rates we would be much more unstable right now...shear also sucks, even if we had the shear values that were around this morning we would probably see a bit more in the way of svr today.

Exactly. Horrible lapse rates and meager shear. No severe.

Not sure why Kevin has is panties in a bunch because there are clouds around (as expected)

Not with a cloudy afternoon in place

lol your expectations for events are so far from reality. It was pretty clear we'd have some mid level clouds moving in this midday. Not much of a surprise here and all of this was relatively well modeled.

If we had decent deep layer shear and better mid level lapse rates we'd have a solid severe threat. Those are missing. These clouds aren't what's precluding a severe event.

Don't take it too literally. In other words, they aren't even in the same league.

With the way this year has gone, a significant tornado /severe event for the M/A or even NE wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe 1:5 odds instead of 1:15 or 25. What you said is true but I wouldn't dismiss something more interesting than the average year produces, when it has been so active in the usual suspect areas

lol your expectations for events are so far from reality. It was pretty clear we'd have some mid level clouds moving in this midday. Not much of a surprise here and all of this was relatively well modeled.

If we had decent deep layer shear and better mid level lapse rates we'd have a solid severe threat. Those are missing. These clouds aren't what's precluding a severe event.

I've been one of the few not on board for storms today since Sunday. Others have been dryhumping today for days.

And Tip says it's sunnier today than modelled

Archived