• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued discussion/obs for cutoff low May 18 through end of week

ORH_wxman

...MID ATLANTIC STATES INTO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND... THE UPPER LOW CURRENTLY OVER THE UPPER OH VALLEY IS FORECAST TO MOVE EASTWARD AND INTO PA/NY BY FRIDAY MORNING. SIMILAR TO THE PAST FEW DAYS...SUFFICIENT DEEP LAYER VERTICAL SHEAR IS PRESENT ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC STATES AND SOUTHWEST NEW ENGLAND FOR SOME RISK OF ORGANIZED/ROTATING STORMS THIS AFTERNOON. COOL TEMPERATURES ALOFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPPER LOW MAY ALSO RESULT IN HAIL IN THE STRONGEST CORES. HOWEVER...THE OVERALL THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS APPEARS RATHER MINIMAL SO WILL MAINTAIN ONLY 5% PROBABILITIES AT THIS TIME.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate outdoor showers, a good friend of mine in high school, actually two of them both had these summer houses and they had outdoor showers...I HATED using them...they were filled with spiders. I used to freak out every time I was in them.

You are afraid of spiders, yet collect 40oz malt liquor bottles?

:drunk:

That same unidentified round object was out here in town too. Fog is now trying to take over again as we speak. Nice to see though no matter how brief.

I'm really hoping we can get enough breaks of sun to get the temps up to around 70°F here or at least for portions of the region so we can get those 1000-1500 J/KG of MUcape and ~500 J/KG of SBcape values.

Well looking at satellite trends along with some of the latest model guidance I would think the BEST shot at stronger storms would appear to be eastern CT/RI/eastern MA...looks like these areas have the potential to see potentially quite a bit of sunshine...with this temps should warm through the 60's and perhaps near 70°F. This is where the highest instability values are likely to occur.

One thing to keep in mind, however, with a flow due off the ocean and a weakly capped airmass that clearing may fill in with clouds as it moves northward.

Well some interesting things to note so far.

Latest SPC SREF (9z run) doesn't paint out much in the way of thunderstorm potential here, however, it does give a decent shot at any storms becoming strong or perhaps borderline severe. It is fairly robust with instability values though as it gets LI values down to around -3°C, SBcape values around 500 J/KG with a small chance of SBcape values reaching 1000 J/KG, MLcape values around 500 J/KG with a small chance of reaching 1000 J/KG, and MUcape values getting to around 750-1200 J/kG. Of course with the cooling aloft ML lapse rates are pretty steep already, around 6.5 C/KM but perhaps could steepen to as much as 7 C/KM.

Looking at the latest SPC mesoanalysis page just off to our west things are already marginally unstable at the surface with 500-1000 J/KG of SBCape across west-central NY down through central/eastern PA to NJ and down through DE. This is characterized with temperatures in the lower 60's with dewpoints in the mid 50's. Across our region temperatures are in the mid to upper 50's with dewpoints about the same, however, just off to our south and west dewpoints are in the lower 60's and that should advect into parts of southern New England as the morning hours go on.

Well some interesting things to note so far.

Latest SPC SREF (9z run) doesn't paint out much in the way of thunderstorm potential here, however, it does give a decent shot at any storms becoming strong or perhaps borderline severe. It is fairly robust with instability values though as it gets LI values down to around -3°C, SBcape values around 500 J/KG with a small chance of SBcape values reaching 1000 J/KG, MLcape values around 500 J/KG with a small chance of reaching 1000 J/KG, and MUcape values getting to around 750-1200 J/kG. Of course with the cooling aloft ML lapse rates are pretty steep already, around 6.5 C/KM but perhaps could steepen to as much as 7 C/KM.

Looking at the latest SPC mesoanalysis page just off to our west things are already marginally unstable at the surface with 500-1000 J/KG of SBCape across west-central NY down through central/eastern PA to NJ and down through DE. This is characterized with temperatures in the lower 60's with dewpoints in the mid 50's. Across our region temperatures are in the mid to upper 50's with dewpoints about the same, however, just off to our south and west dewpoints are in the lower 60's and that should advect into parts of southern New England as the morning hours go on.

:weenie: :weenie:

Well looking at satellite trends along with some of the latest model guidance I would think the BEST shot at stronger storms would appear to be eastern CT/RI/eastern MA...looks like these areas have the potential to see potentially quite a bit of sunshine...with this temps should warm through the 60's and perhaps near 70°F. This is where the highest instability values are likely to occur.

One thing to keep in mind, however, with a flow due off the ocean and a weakly capped airmass that clearing may fill in with clouds as it moves northward.

Meanwhile,,it's pouring rain over much of the state..with no shot of clearing until midday at the earliest

Archived