• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Get-Together, Edition II

nzucker

I would love to organize another get-together for the NYC metro region, preferably in June when school is winding down and work responsibilities are a bit lighter. This time, I would prefer holding the event in a quieter spot; it would be nice to actually bring the Kocin books, some case studies, our personal pictures of the big storms, so as to have some weenie chats. What say you?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should make the get-together in late June, when school/college is finished but before people leave for summer vacations in July/August. How about Saturday, June 25th in the afternoon?

Once again, I think it should be in Manhattan, but let's choose a pub/restaurant that's going to be a bit quieter. Does anyone have suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

How about outdoors... a beach or someone's yard for a BBQ? It would help minimize having to get served and buying food/beverages (which always adds up, and you have to deal with crowds)... instead, it could be a potluck type of meetup? IF at a park or beach, or even someone's yard, we could set up a game of football (tag football, if necessary) and have a showdown over the heat mongers vs. the cold mongers vs. the rain mongers vs.... (it could go on awhile...)

How about outdoors... a beach or someone's yard for a BBQ? It would help minimize having to get served and buying food/beverages (which always adds up, and you have to deal with crowds)... instead, it could be a potluck type of meetup? IF at a park or beach, or even someone's yard, we could set up a game of football (tag football, if necessary) and have a showdown over the heat mongers vs. the cold mongers vs. the rain mongers vs.... (it could go on awhile...)

I would be willing to host at my family's house but it's probably a bit out of the way...I'm about 25 miles north of Central Park, less than 10 miles from the Bronx border and 5 minutes north of Yonkers. I do have a nice backyard with ample patio space, vegetable garden, nature preserve behind, etc. I use a Weber charcoal grill so I could make some tasty food if everyone was willing to throw in a few bucks. I'd personally love to have an afternoon-->evening event at Mt. Zucker with some tunes playing, lots of grilled treats including fresh veggies from my organic garden, cold beers, etc. I have worked as a cook in restaurants and taken courses at the Culinary Institute of America and Institute for Culinary Education, so I think I could throw something pretty nice together that's much cheaper than a restaurant.

How does this idea sound to you folks?

We could still do June 25th, maybe start at like 4pm and go into the evening. I am very close to I-87/Major Deegan and Saw Mill Parkway, and about 40 minutes by train from Grand Central, 30 mins on the express.

I would be willing to host at my family's house but it's probably a bit out of the way...I'm about 25 miles north of Central Park, less than 10 miles from the Bronx border and 5 minutes north of Yonkers. I do have a nice backyard with ample patio space, vegetable garden, nature preserve behind, etc. I use a Weber charcoal grill so I could make some tasty food if everyone was willing to throw in a few bucks. I'd personally love to have an afternoon-->evening event at Mt. Zucker with some tunes playing, lots of grilled treats including fresh veggies from my organic garden, cold beers, etc. I have worked as a cook in restaurants and taken courses at the Culinary Institute of America and Institute for Culinary Education, so I think I could throw something pretty nice together that's much cheaper than a restaurant.

How does this idea sound to you folks?

We could still do June 25th, maybe start at like 4pm and go into the evening. I am very close to I-87/Major Deegan and Saw Mill Parkway, and about 40 minutes by train from Grand Central, 30 mins on the express.

Sounds like a good plan but June 25th might not be a good date as we have a family trip planned that week. Maybe the 3rd week or last week of June?

Sounds like a good plan but June 25th might not be a good date as we have a family trip planned that week. Maybe the 3rd week or last week of June?

How about Friday, July 2nd? Does this work better for everyone than the June 25th date?

I have the house all to myself in the summer as my parents go away to the Poconos where they have a cabin, so there should be plenty of space for a nice gathering. I can put together a tasty and inexpensive spread with lots of barbecue, local veggies including some from my garden, and plenty of good drinks. If everyone chipped in like 5-10 bucks, we'd have plenty for a good meal, much less expensive than going to a restaurant and paying for inflated cocktails and tips. I am about 30 minutes from Manhattan by car, 35-45 minutes by train....5-10 minutes from Yonkers, 10-15 minutes from White Plains. Personally, I think it would be nice to have the get-together in a private home so that we can enjoy a comfortable volume and not feel rushed.

If people don't like this idea, then how about Carmine's on July 2nd at 6pm? It's at 90th Street and Broadway on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Portions are large, food is of decent quality, and it's not too expensive. I'd prefer to host but would also love to have this at Carmine's if we can get sufficient space.

How would people like me to proceed? I definitely want this get-together to be in a quieter place with better food options than the last one.

Archived