• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 17th-18th Late Season SNOW Event

Powerball

Yep, it could be as much as 4-6" in some spots.

It's going to be a quick/heavy hitter too, coming through these cities just in time for the Monday morning rush.

Some rain will mix in on the southern edge of this band and as the boudary layer warms during the day Monday, as expected with late season events

It could also be just enough for Detroit to crack a top 5/70" season too.

My jaw dropped too when I discovered what was brewing. Because of how boring this pattern was I didn't even bother to look at the models lately. I heard this from a weather forecast on one of our local TV stations. I'm in severe weather/summertime mode myself, but mother nature wants to do what it do so it is what it is.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it could be as much as 4-6" in some spots.

It's going to be a quick/heavy hitter too, coming through these cities just in time for the Monday morning rush.

Some rain will mix in on the southern edge of this band and as the boudary layer warms during the day Monday, as expected with late season events

It could also be just enough for Detroit to crack a top 5/70" season too.

My jaw dropped too when I discovered what was brewing. Because of how boring this pattern was I didn't even bother to look at the models lately. I heard this from a weather forecast on one of our local TV stations. I'm in severe weather/summertime mode myself, but mother nature wants to do what it do so it is what it is.

A shift north would do Milwaukee some good, but right now NWS only has a 40% chance of rain/snow in the area. We'll see what happens, but leave it to a surprise April storm to crop up.

A shift north would do Milwaukee some good, but right now NWS only has a 40% chance of rain/snow in the area. We'll see what happens, but leave it to a surprise April storm to crop up.

It's coming through here a little too late for my liking (between 09z and 21z), a tick faster wouldn't hurt at all.

QPF-wise were in a pretty good spot this way.

DTX

COLDER AIR IS MAKING GOOD INROADS ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES REGION...SUPPORTING SOME WET SNOW FLAKES MIXING IN ACROSS PARTS OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. THE 00Z RAOB OUT OF GREEN BAY TELLS THE STORY...-7 C AT 850 MB...WITH A NORTHWEST WIND OF 50 KNOTS. THIS COLD AIR WILL BECOME ESTABLISHED OVER SOUTHERN LOWER MICHIGAN TODAY...WITH 850 MB TEMPS SETTLING IN THE NEGATIVE MID TO UPPER SINGLE NUMBERS. THIS WILL MAKE FOR AN INTERESTING FORECAST TONIGHT...AS STRONG SHORTWAVE SEEN ADVANCING THROUGH THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AT THE PRESENT TIME...ZIPS ALONG TO THE EAST. TREMENDOUS MID LEVEL FGEN RESPONSE ANTICIPATED AS SURFACE FRONTAL BOUNDARY REMAINS DRAPED ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY. THE BIG QUESTION IS...WHICH LAYER WILL BE MOST ACTIVE. BOTH NAM/GFS ARE INDICATING INTENSE LIFT BETWEEN 700-500 MB WORKING THROUGH THE CWA DURING THE EARLY MORNING COMMUTE...WITH QPF TOTALS SLIGHTLY GREATER THAN HALF AN INCH ALONG AND SOUTH OF ANN ARBOR-DETROIT LINE...WITH GFS EVEN INDICATING THE HALF INCH QPF LINE SNEAKING NORTH OF EIGHT MILE. THERMAL PROFILES SUGGEST ALL SNOW. OBVIOUSLY...THIS IS CONCERNING DUE TO THE TIMING WHICH WILL BE DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE...AND BECAUSE OF THE INTENSITY...ALL OF THE PRECIPITATION FALLING IN WHAT LOOKS TO BE A 6 HR WINDOW. SPECIFIC HUMIDITY SEEN AT THE 700 MB LEVEL IS CLOSE TO 4 G/KG ALONG THE SOUTHERN MICHIGAN BORDER...SO MOISTURE IS CERTAINLY MORE THAN ADEQUATE WITH THE INTENSE LIFT ADVERTISED. A LOOK TO THE REGIONAL GEM AND UKMET SHOWS THE 850/700 MB FRONTS A BIT MORE VERTICALLY STACKED...AND THUS MAJORITY OF THE ACTION AND QPF IS ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE SOUTHERN MICHIGAN BORDER...WITH AMOUNTS ABOUT HALF OF THE AMERICAN SUITE. A LOOK AT THE WRF OUT OF MILLERSVILLE UNIVERSITY ALSO SHOWS THE MAX QPF JUST SOUTH OF THE BORDER...AND PREFERENCE IS WITH THIS SOLUTION...AS THE LOW LEVEL JET OVER MISSOURI IS QUICKLY VEERING TO A MORE WESTERLY COMPONENT BETWEEN 00-06Z MONDAY. EVEN SO...IT DOES APPEAR ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL OCCUR ALONG AND SOUTH OF ANN ARBOR-DETROIT LINE...WITH POPS AND AMOUNTS QUICKLY TAPERING OFF AND SHUTTING DOWN AS ONE HEADS NORTH. FORECASTING UP TO 2 INCHES ALONG THE I-94 CORRIDOR...QUICKLY TAPERING OFF NORTH...WITH 2 TO 4 INCHES TOWARD THE OHIO BORDER. THERMAL PROFILES NEAR THE OHIO BORDER ARE MARGINAL FOR ALL SNOW...AND CONCERNS FOR SOME RAIN MIXING IN CUTTING DOWN ACCUMULATIONS...IN ADDITION TO COMPACTION DUE TO THE WET SNOW. THE LIFT AND SUBSEQUENT PRECIPITATION LOOKS TO BE PRETTY MUCH OVER BY 15Z MONDAY. DIDN`T PARTICULARLY LIKE SEEING THE 00Z EUROPEAN SOLUTION...WHICH INDICATES QUARTER OF AN INCH TO 4 TENTHS OF INCH OF QPF FROM THE OHIO BORDER UP TO THE I-69 CORRIDOR. HOWEVER...THINKING IS THIS IS TOO BROAD BRUSHED...AS INTENSE LIFT WILL LEAD TO MORE FOCUSED BANDING...MOSTLY CONFINED CLOSE TO THE 850 MB FGEN.

this is a tough forecast for sure given its going to be a fairly narrow band and heavier snow will play with amounts, I wouldn't rule out some TSSN as well.

The 9z SREF really bumped up snow amounts and pushed the band a bit further south from the 3z run.

Looks like there could be a pretty big difference between the southern suburbs to the northern suburbs of Chicagoland. The area up near the Wisconsin border could really get clocked if some of those east/west bands stall over that area for any length of time. This is the type of setup that can often overperform, so it's gonna be fun to watch.

Looks like there could be a pretty big difference between the southern suburbs to the northern suburbs of Chicagoland. The area up near the Wisconsin border could really get clocked if some of those east/west bands stall over that area for any length of time. This is the type of setup that can often overperform, so it's gonna be fun to watch.

I like where I sit right now and wouldn't rule out a smaller shift southward. the 12z hi-res models will be interesting.

IWX issued an updated discussion.

Long story short, their forecast is on track with a widespread 1-3" acoss their far northern areas with the potential of localized 2-4" amounts. They expect an area of sleet along the rain/snow line. They will consider the possibility of issuing a WWA as well.

GRR:

CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE FROM THE VFR TO IFR THEN LIFR FLIGHT

CATEGORIES VERY LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MID TO LATE MONDAY MORNING IN

SNOW. THE SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD ALL THE TERMINALS FROM WEST TO EAST

FROM 06Z THRU 09Z MON... AND EXIT THE AREA FROM WEST TO EAST BETWEEN

14Z AND 17Z MON. I HAVE TRENDED THE SFC VISBY FCSTS IN SNOW FOR MOST

OF THE TERMINALS DOWN TO 3/4 MILE FOR THAT TIME FRAME. FUTURE

SHIFTS MAY NEED TO CONTINUE THIS TREND... AS I WOULD NOT BE

SURPRISED TO SEE NARROW WEST EAST ORIENTED BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW

WITHIN THE LARGER AREA OF LIGHTER SNOW.

Archived