• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 13, 1990

Hoosier

I was nine years old when that happened. Temperatures that day were in the low to mid 70s with dews in the upper 50s to lower 60s. The next day it snowed. I remember it as plain as day and one of the F4 tornadoes near the Kansas/Nebraska border carved a path 131 miles long and stayed on the ground for 2 and a half hours. Also I think the Hesston tornado was possibly the most powerful tornado in Kansas history.

you know your in trouble when your in the forward flank hail core of a northeast moving storm.

Yeah the hail was even larger when the storm was down in the QC. Much of Moline and East Moline had baseball size hail that fell for over 5 minutes. Luckily the tornado didn't touch down until it reached LeClaire or it could have been a much costlier tornado.

http://iowawx.com/2009/03/12/historical-wx-march-13th-1990/?like=1

"Two F5 tornadoes dropped down in Kansas, with Hesston being the most devestated. In Iowa, the tornadoes began after 4pm, the “famous” tornado in Iowa was the tornado that went across the Quad Cities Metro Area shortly after 4:30. The tornado went across the Mississippi River into Illinois and narrowly missed a Nuclear Power Plant at Cordova"

Archived