• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Not that it's worth an incredible amount at this point, but...

We are doing absolutely phenomenally with snowcover this winter so far!

We had a temporary lag in early November (if anyone could provide the graphs it would be much appreciated), but we're well above average now--and the comparison with past years is particularly striking. We are significantly above last year's amount at this time.

For what it's worth, I think this should contribute to a colder than normal December for us--the cryosphere has been cranking early this year, and we already have major cold air reserves over Siberia. I think the EURO and GFS's predictions of a significant cold outbreak over the Plains/East are lent credence by this large + snow anomaly, and given snowcover extends well into the lower 48, the cold air should be "fresh" upon arrival. Ninas are known for arctic outbreaks, and I think we could see our first major cold wave of the season post 12/5.

Anyways, onto the maps!

This year--note that all of Canada is covered, a good chunk of the US is, almost all of Russia has snow, and Europe is even gaining significant coverage already! I've included the maps from every year since 2005 (I tried since 2000, but too many images--included 2003 though, as it seems similar to this year). One or two look like they might compare--funny enough, 2003 looks the most similar IMO, with the exception of Europe (snowcover was mostly laid down there yesterday). Also of note is our lack of ice cover--while we're doing very well with snow, ice seems fairly anemic this year... but alas, beggars can't be choosers.

ims2010331.gif

Last year:

ims2009331.gif

ims2008331.gif

ims2007331.gif

ims2006331.gif

ims2005331.gif

ims2003331.gif

Overrated but makes quite a blanket for east coast weenies.. If a storm wants to cut I don't care how much snow cover there is.

If you're going to come into my thread & just bash people, go ahead, but it would be nice if people gave constructive criticism. I didn't make any mention of storms cutting, in my original post I simply stated that above normal snowcover is a benefit if you like cold, given snowcover aids the development & occurrence of arctic outbreaks.

The reason for the high snow cover is undoubtedly the development of an extreme -AO/-NAO block. This is a very powerful blocking structure especially when you consider we're in a strong La Niña, with below average temperatures moving into the mid-latitude belt of variable snow cover areas.

I think the predominantly -NAO this fall (and indeed, the entire past year) is a good sign for the winter time state. Do you have any data on other years that have featured a -NAO for Sep/Oct/Nov and have gone severely negative for late November? The raging -AO is also very good for the cryosphere (as much as Tip and I don't get along, I do like that term of his. Snowman.gif)

If you're going to come into my thread & just bash people, go ahead, but it would be nice if people gave constructive criticism. I didn't make any mention of storms cutting, in my original post I simply stated that above normal snowcover is a benefit if you like cold, given snowcover aids the development & occurrence of arctic outbreaks.

Yes, and also high snow cover helps to force a -NAO/-AO by changing radiation between the surface and the upper levels of the atmosphere. This, in turn, promotes the development of more snow cover and sets in a feedback loop.

Strange things are happening right now with the development of a near-record NAO/AO block at the start of a strong La Niña winter, essentially continuing with the pattern partially ascribed to the west-based El Niño last year. One has to wonder if the solar minimum and -PDO are feeding this high snow cover/high blocking regime.

I think the predominantly -NAO this fall (and indeed, the entire past year) is a good sign for the winter time state. Do you have any data on other years that have featured a -NAO for Sep/Oct/Nov and have gone severely negative for late November? The raging -AO is also very good for the cryosphere (as much as Tip and I don't get along, I do like that term of his. Snowman.gif)

It's been pretty rare in the last few years to have a -NAO during November, and even since 1950 there are only a handful of examples. Also almost unheard of for the fall to have a constant -NAO. Of course, we haven't seen a solar minimum like this since 1810 so there's really no way we could understand the pattern.

Yes, the -AO should help build the arctic's multi-year ice with less ice being expelled through the Fram Strait. It should also allow for the maximum ice extent to be higher in March.

I said my piece on it... Wasn't bashing.. Snow cover is, Overrated... That's what I believe. What more do you want? There is always snow in canada most of the time now.. It doesn't trump a ****ty pattern. Can it help in marginal situation's sure... But snow cover gets thrown around gospel like a -nao meaning snow for the east coast.

And there is already a thread on this topic... look for it. My bad, I don't see the godfathers thread from eastern brought over here.

I'm currently in Munich and was around Salzburg, Austria yesterday and this morning. People here are so pleased with the amount f snow - it has snowed for 27 straight hours here in Munich! Snow is predicted at least through Thursday.

What is ost impressive is the cold. The while of Germany is way (I mean at least 5 degrees) below normals I think. High today in Minich was -3G. Low is -12c.

East coast weenies, your snow is here in Bavaria. I'm looking out my window at itfalling still!

I'm currently in Munich and was around Salzburg, Austria yesterday and this morning. People here are so pleased with the amount f snow - it has snowed for 27 straight hours here in Munich! Snow is predicted at least through Thursday.

What is ost impressive is the cold. The while of Germany is way (I mean at least 5 degrees) below normals I think. High today in Minich was -3G. Low is -12c.

East coast weenies, your snow is here in Bavaria. I'm looking out my window at itfalling still!

It wasnt last winter whistle.gif

Snowmaggedon FTW

There have been studies which have concluded that snowcover can influence atmospheric circulation and general storm track so your assertion is questionable at best...

Agree William, snow cover without a doubt builds pressures over that region,which in turn aids in forcing a further south storm track. I recall quite a few scenarios in which this happened over the past several years. A fresh, deep snow pack can do wonders. Obviously if the pattern is total garbage, one can't expect snow cover to save them. But if the pattern is at least semi-favorable, I've seen lows take a further southeast path when deep snowcover is in place.

The reason for the strong blocking is due to a number of reasons, a major one which I described in my winter outlook and that's the record low geomagnetic activity we've experienced over the past couple years. Latest ap index values are still around a 5, which is extremely low. In addition, the NAO decadal phase itself has been on the decline since 2007, and the long term AMO signal is beginning to decline - another factor favorable for a neg NAO. Overall I still believe we're very similar to 1955 in terms of the PDO/AMO/NAO phases, and of course ENSO as well. Although November won't turn out as cold nationally as 1955, the blocking episode this year got going a few weeks later than 1955. In a way, it's better for us as it sets the stage for a potentially interesting December.

Archived