EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Possible Severe Threat on November 30th 2010

northpittweather

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I am not claiming the HPC is wrong, but they were off on the last storm, just to mention :arrowhead:

Still...you should still give sound reasoning as to why you think they might be off on this storm. You cannot make claims like "that HPC map looks weird" without evidence. Simply saying they were off on the last event is not enough. It would be helpful to members that are still learning (most of us) if you gave some extra support for your theory. Not trying to crack down on you or anything but just a suggestion!

Still...you should still give sound reasoning as to why you think they might be off on this storm. You cannot make claims like "that HPC map looks weird" without evidence. Simply saying they were off on the last event is not enough. It would be helpful to members that are still learning (most of us) if you gave some extra support for your theory. Not trying to crack down on you or anything but just a suggestion!

OK!!!!!, i am just trying to still learn also

shows minimum dew points going to 52 degrees+ in the upper ohio valley into mid Atlantic, which is sufficient for severe

I'll tell you this one more time. All surface temps are not created equal. You cannot just look at the surface... you have to look at the entire column of air to determine the atmosphere's ability to produce severe weather. The warm sector will not be going that far north on Monday, and if you knew how to analyze fronts on a map you would see that the HPC's forecast lines up well with the models' forecasts. Not saying the HPC is never wrong, but they won't be 600-800 miles wrong pretty much ever... especially not just two days out.

good use of smiley but somewhat predictable ... i didnt abandon 40S, have been part of things going on there... have no interest in battling either. just expressing a thought.

Fair enough.

Between you doing everything you could to drive traffic away from here/Eastern to 40S and your frequent disparaging of Mark's forecasts, the irony was just too rich for me to pass on.

Unlike you, I see no need to harass people who chose to post at one place instead of the other. I see no reason why both places can't peacefully coexist. They offer entirely different approaches to discussing weather. Some folks will like it here, some will like it there, and some will like both.

...ERN GULF COAST TO THE MID-ATLANTIC...

STRONG SLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL TRANSPORT LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE NWD FROM

THE ERN GULF COAST TO THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION TUESDAY AND TUESDAY

NIGHT AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT. ALTHOUGH LAPSE RATES WILL REMAIN

POOR...MUCAPE OF A COUPLE HUNDRED J/KG WILL LIKELY EVOLVE AS FAR N

AS ERN/CNTRL VA AS THE IN-SITU COLD WEDGE ERODES TUESDAY

EVENING/NIGHT.

QLCS IS LIKELY AT 12Z TUESDAY FROM MIDDLE TN SWD INTO THE MOBILE BAY

REGION. THIS ACTIVITY WILL CONTINUE ENE THROUGH THE FIRST HALF OF

TUESDAY INTO ERN TN...NWRN GA...AL AND THE WRN FL PANHANDLE WHERE A

45-55 KT SSWLY LLJ ENHANCES LOW-LEVEL SHEAR. EMBEDDED

LEWPS/SUPERCELL STRUCTURES WILL BE CAPABLE OF DAMAGING WIND/TORNADO

THREATS.

WHILE THERE MAY BE SOMEWHAT OF A REDUCTION OF SEVERE PROBABILITIES

TUESDAY AFTERNOON...EXPECT DAMAGING WIND/TORNADO THREATS TO ESCALATE

AGAIN TUESDAY NIGHT ALONG/E OF THE APPALACHIANS... PARTICULARLY SC

NWD INTO ERN/CNTRL VA. THIS WILL BE IN RESPONSE TO INCREASING DCVA

ASSOCIATED WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED JET STREAK THAT AIDS IN MORE

NEGATIVE-TILT TO THE UPPER TROUGH. STRONG UVV...SUFFICIENT BOUNDARY

LAYER MOISTURE/INSTABILITY AND 50-60 KTS OF SLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL

ALL BE FAVORABLE FOR LATE NIGHT QLCS SEVERE MODES. HAVE EXPANDED

LOW SEVERE PROBABILITIES NWD ACROSS THE MASON-DIXON LINE AND THE

CATEGORICAL SLIGHT RISK INTO MOST OF ERN/CNTRL VA.

SHORT TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --SFC LOW WILL DEVELOP AND RIDE ALONG THE FRONT TUESDAY NIGHT AND

WEDNESDAY...MOVING ACROSS CWA EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. DURING THE

NIGHT TUES NIGHT...SHRA ACTIVITY WILL HOLD MAINLY OVER THE MTNS/MTN

VALLEYS...ADVANCING EASTWARD ONCE THE LOW PASSES THROUGH. EXTREMELY

MOISTURE RICH AIR WILL BE ADVECTING IN...WITH PWATS JUMPING OVER

1.50 INCH TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING IN THE METRO/BAY

COUNTIES. HOWEVER...THESE SPOTS WILL ALSO HAVE THE LEAST DURATION OF

RAINFALL...LIKELY STAYING MOSTLY DRY UNTIL THE LOW REACHES THE AREA.

WITH ALL THIS IN MIND...WE HAVE HOISTED A FLASH FLOOD WATCH WEST OF

THE BLUE RIDGE STARTING 6 PM TUESDAY EVENING...AND EASTWARD TO THE

METRO AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN WILL BEGIN BEFORE THESE TIMES BUT WE ARE

TARGETING THE PERIOD OF HEAVIEST RAINFALL.

IN ADDITION...EAST OF THE LOW TSTMS WILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE WARM

SECTOR...AND WITH WINDS RACING...STRONG OR EVEN POTENTIALLY SVR

STORMS ARE POSSIBLE...MAINLY SOUTH OF DC METRO. THIS WOULD BE IN A

BRIEF WINDOW RIGHT AROUND DAYBREAK WED...AND WILL MONITOR THIS

POTENTIAL CLOSELY.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

Saw the HPC update just now and had to lol at myself, HPC, this thread, etc... warm sector now analyzed by the HPC to get into eastern Ohio. That's for tomorrow afternoon. If it verifies, I will applaud northpitt's call, even though he used the wrong reasoning to arrive to his conclusion.

A little OT, but there's another boundary that actually created a tornado in northern Missouri earlier. This system's throwing all sorts of curve-balls!

Saw the HPC update just now and had to lol at myself, HPC, this thread, etc... warm sector now analyzed by the HPC to get into eastern Ohio. That's for tomorrow afternoon. If it verifies, I will applaud northpitt's call, even though he used the wrong reasoning to arrive to his conclusion.

A little OT, but there's another boundary that actually created a tornado in northern Missouri earlier. This system's throwing all sorts of curve-balls!

You know flooding and high winds are going to be a big threat also, in the Pitttsburgh Area we got an advisory for 45 to 55mph winds

Archived