12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2/20 -2/22 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that is a reasonable point I'd agree. You having more latitude and elevation makes it that much harder to torch to 65 this time of year, while a southwest wind comes off the cold ocean for Long Island. With that said I had NYC in mind with those comments, which is by most means very similar climo to mine and John's area.

I honestly dont know why people mind a "torch" if it isnt going to snow it should be HOT. I dont see the Ocean as being much of a factor; it hit 60 here on Monday.

Also, my assumption is that the high latitude blocking was so extreme last winter, in February particularly, that all the cold air was more or less used and drained south into the mid latitudes. Recall how stagnant that cold air got by mid-month? The blocking wasn't allowing fresh cold airmasses to rebuild across the polar regions really so by the time March rolled around, can't exactly breed a fresh cold airmass that time of year anymore. So we torched once the pattern broke. The extreme blocking I thought was pretty key to the early Spring last year.

There should be much more/plenty of cold air available to be tapped this March.

Maybe thats what happened this winter also; we had such extreme blocking from December into January that all the cold air got used up. The difference is this happened earlier so it gives more time for cold air to rebuild in Canada.

Agreed, I'd like that July 590dm heat ridge back. Whip out the baseball gloves, roll the windows down, grab a beer, turn on some yellowcard, bring it.

:weenie:

I want it to hit 100 every day this summer so all these dumb media people who hate snow are dying of heat stroke! :thumbsup:

I honestly dont know why people mind a "torch" if it isnt going to snow it should be HOT. I dont see the Ocean as being much of a factor; it hit 60 here on Monday.

Well aren't you located in Queens/Brooklyn? I'm talking further out on Long Island.. Raritan Bay or the New York bight may not be a long enough fetch over the cool ocean waters to have an effect over the western areas of the island towards those boroughs. but take Islip for instance and it was only 41º for a high yesterday with the SW wind, and 56º on Monday.

Well aren't you located in Queens/Brooklyn? I'm talking further out on Long Island.. Raritan Bay or the New York bight may not be a long enough fetch over the cool ocean waters to have an effect over the western areas of the island towards those boroughs. but take Islip for instance and it was only 41º for a high yesterday with the SW wind, and 56º on Monday.

Extreme SW Nassau, only 4 miles from JFK and 3 miles north of the Ocean. I agree with this, oftentimes we hit 90 in the summer even on a SW wind, and we dont get a seabreeze until around 4 PM or so unless the wind is due south or SE.

Extreme SW Nassau, only 4 miles from JFK and 3 miles north of the Ocean. I agree with this, oftentimes we hit 90 in the summer even on a SW wind, and we dont get a seabreeze until around 4 PM or so unless the wind is due south or SE.

I got a new wether station going, dont have the data online yet. Will be interesting this summer

I got a new wether station going, dont have the data online yet. Will be interesting this summer

Thanks, man-- what kind is it? Did you see the NESIS map for Jan 26-27? I'm sure it made you chuckle that they had us under 4-10" of snow when we got that much in an hour and we all ended up with around 16-16.5 inches lol.

I will definitly take the 1-4 to shut all the people up in my office about hoping winter and the snow are over. I keep trying to tell them this warm up is temporary and that March will be very active. I'll take anything thats signficant, even if its rain. Nothing worse in my opinion than boring zonal flow. Once I'm done with the snow though I'm done. I love the warm weather and the hotter in the summer the better. My perferct summer would be long stretches of hot temps, very rich humidities and high end severe chances at least once a week. About the only thing better than seeing a winter storm warning or blizzard warning in my zone is waking up to see the northeast moderate risked. Had the great experience of two supercells last summer and I hope this year continues where last year left off.

Explain please - Rossi

Nogaps has .25" of snow on Sunday and then about .50" of snow on Tuesday. JMA, is a mix for Sunday and .25"-.50" of snow for Tuesday.

lock it up lol :weenie:

FWIW, I think the JMA I believe has done fairly well so far this season, as far as the NAVY model is concerned, I'm not quite so sure I understand why they still run it.

Yes, the JMA has done really well this season within 96 hours.

JMA was atrocious with the last event, Feb. 1st.

48 hours before the event it had 1" of liquid as all snow, while every other model was an inland cutter and rain.

Maybe thats what happened this winter also; we had such extreme blocking from December into January that all the cold air got used up. The difference is this happened earlier so it gives more time for cold air to rebuild in Canada.

Northern Canada has had plenty of cold air since around January 9, 2011. Iqaluit, Nunavut (link), for example, has barely cracked 1F, or around -18C. At least 12 of those days were in double digit negative for farenheight, and one of those days had a high of -29F.

Archived