Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Mid-February Obs/Discussion

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleet and freezing rain, and some snow. It's just really warm upstairs. If I were a betting man, or forecast the weather for that area, I would say Erie to Bradford has the best chance to stay all snow and pick up over 8.

Pretty much gonna need to get this mess underway across the state and have the storm show its hand on how the precip shield and the different p-types are going to setup and if there's any positive or negative surprises.

Tonight: Snow, possibly mixed with sleet. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 29. Calm wind becoming east between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday: Snow. High near 33. Breezy, with a north wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

This is for Tioga county. Is this not an awful forecast or what... They are calling for snow with some sleet.If that happens as this forecast implies then they are gonna have alot more snow than what this says. 1-2 tonite, and 1-3 tomorrow?thats all?

Tonight: Snow, possibly mixed with sleet. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 29. Calm wind becoming east between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday: Snow. High near 33. Breezy, with a north wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

This is for Tioga county. Is this not an awful forecast or what... They are calling for snow with some sleet.If that happens as this forecast implies then they are gonna have alot more snow than what this says. 1-2 tonite, and 1-3 tomorrow?thats all?

unsure.gif

LOL...how about it the models show 1.25 to 1.75" of precip....if it we're ALL sleet 2-5 inches would be feasible.

I'm looking forward to it regardless, these storms mean business. I will try and provide updates throughout the storm tonight and tomorrow.

Looking closer.... the northern half of Potter and Tioga could pick up 8" or more as well. 850's stay around -3 which should be sufficient to overcome any warm air in the column. :snowman:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

958 PM EST THU FEB 24 2011

.A STORM SYSTEM WILL TRACK ACROSS PENNSYLVANIA TONIGHT AND EARLY

FRIDAY...BRINGING HEAVY SNOW TO THE NORTHERN TIER OF THE

COMMONWEALTH.

PAZ004>006-251100-

/O.UPG.KCTP.WS.A.0004.110225T0900Z-110226T0000Z/

/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.W.0007.110225T0500Z-110226T0000Z/

WARREN-MCKEAN-POTTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARREN...BRADFORD...COUDERSPORT

958 PM EST THU FEB 24 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST

FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATION...NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT

TIMES FRIDAY MORNING. LIGHTER SNOW WILL LINGER INTO FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS 5-10 MPH TONIGHT WILL BECOME NORTHERLY

ON FRIDAY AND INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...POOR TRAVEL CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED

ROADS. GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITY IN PERIODS OF HEAVIER SNOW.

THE HEAVY WET SNOW COULD POTENTIALLY PULL DOWN TREE LIMBS AND

POWER LINES.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30 DEGREES FOR MUCH OF THE PERIOD.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT

OF SNOW IS FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST

TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...BLANKET AND A CELLULAR

PHONE IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. STAY TUNED TO NOAA

WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR

THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND

AT...WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE.

&&

$$

It's official

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT

TIMES FRIDAY MORNING. LIGHTER SNOW WILL LINGER INTO FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS 5-10 MPH TONIGHT WILL BECOME NORTHERLY

ON FRIDAY AND INCREASE TO 15 TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...POOR TRAVEL CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED

ROADS. GREATLY REDUCED VISIBILITY IN PERIODS OF HEAVIER SNOW.

THE HEAVY WET SNOW COULD POTENTIALLY PULL DOWN TREE LIMBS AND

POWER LINES.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30 DEGREES FOR MUCH OF THE PERIOD.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT

OF SNOW IS FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST

TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...BLANKET AND A CELLULAR

PHONE IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. STAY TUNED TO NOAA

WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR

THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND

AT...WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE.

&&

$$

It's official

LOL...Let's see, we better bring snow shoes, tire chains, generator, chain saw....cell phones don't work there....

It's going to be a fun trip that turned into a snow chase for us. With the shift south maybe S. Potter County will be in the heavy stuff too.

LOL...Let's see, we better bring snow shoes, tire chains, generator, chain saw....cell phones don't work there....

It's going to be a fun trip that turned into a snow chase for us. With the shift south maybe S. Potter County will be in the heavy stuff too.

I hope so, would be nice to see you guys have a blast in the heavy snow. I would def bring the generator, with the heavy wet nature of the snow, it may cause problems.

I hope so, would be nice to see you guys have a blast in the heavy snow. I would def bring the generator, with the heavy wet nature of the snow, it may cause problems.

I think it's going to be one of those deals where it will be rain most of the way up and it will transition into snow the last 30-40 minutes of our long drive. I wouldn't mind that.

Archived