joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-15 Upstate NY / North Country LES / Clipper Impacts

CNYWxGuy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like a one day thaw in Ottawa from what I can see. By Saturday morning it is back below freezing for all of next weekend.....

id expect at minimum a couple days of above freezing and the risk of one day being very warm with rain.

it could get worse than that too, or perhaps slightly better....but that pattern is reliant on a backdoor cold front, amidst rising heights....doesnt sound promising IMO.

i think the models arent yet showing the true potential of the torch. i expect it to be worse that what they are showing right now, perhaps quite a bit worse.

one thing id like to mention is that not a single run of the euro all week has brought the amount of qpf to the region that the NCEP/GEM models have brought.

the euro at 12z remains very dry and also shifts further north.

the euro has never modeled any sort of event that would have brough >4 inches of snow anywhere in our region, at any time, while the NCEPs had run close to an inch of qpf at times with >8 inches max snowfall. the SREFs havent been too bullish either.

its make or break time, id expect one set of models to blink tonight at 00z.

id expect at minimum a couple days of above freezing and the risk of one day being very warm with rain.

it could get worse than that too, or perhaps slightly better....but that pattern is reliant on a backdoor cold front, amidst rising heights....doesnt sound promising IMO.

i think the models arent yet showing the true potential of the torch. i expect it to be worse that what they are showing right now, perhaps quite a bit worse.

I agree completely. Joe Bastradi showed a map on one of his videos yesterday which showed our region in the red zone in terms of temperatures by late next week. He's callin it one of the biggest turn arounds in recent years and he may be right, judging on what's hppening in the midwest, upper plains right now.

Having said this, it is looking increasingly likely that winter comes back after the 20th and bear in mind what I posted yesterday about big storms a few days following the return of cold. 1983-84 was a La Nina winter I believe.

one thing id like to mention is that not a single run of the euro all week has brought the amount of qpf to the region that the NCEP/GEM models have brought.

the euro at 12z remains very dry and also shifts further north.

the euro has never modeled any sort of event that would have brough >4 inches of snow anywhere, at any time, while the NCEPs had run close to an inch of qpf at times with >8 inches max snowfall. the SREFs havent been too bullish either.

its make or break time, id expect one set of models to blink tonight at 00z.

the models have been overdoing precip amounts all winter. Look at what happned in Toronto on the 2nd.

It has just started snowing here. It is snowing pretty decent too. The wind and snow picked up rather quickly. It was sunny, then cloudy for about 2 minutes then the snow and wind just came in together and it has been pretty heavy since. I doubt it will last for very long but it has been fun to watch.

It has just started snowing here. It is snowing pretty decent too. The wind and snow picked up rather quickly. It was sunny, then cloudy for about 2 minutes then the snow and wind just came in together and it has been pretty heavy since. I doubt it will last for very long but it has been fun to watch.

Picked up about a quick inch in that intense squall line. Couldn't see the end of my driveway for awhile............

I dunno where those squalls came from, but they were fantastic. It was brief, but the heaviest snow I have seen all winter...as in maybe 300 feet visibility white out. So about an inch or a bit more fell. It had been pushing 32, but it fell back to 24 after the squalls.

Picked up 1/2" from the squall line, just started getting some lake effect flurries..

Out here west of Schenectady my record daily LES total is about 5 inches. :) Chump change to SYR or TG, but the lake snow belt of the Capital District I guess. ;) I guess it may be tougher in the Upper HV east of the Dacks.

Just out of dumb curiosity, has there ever been a good to moderate accumulation of snow here from lake effect?

Archived