joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-15 Upstate NY / North Country LES / Clipper Impacts

CNYWxGuy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday and this morning the NWS had upper 30's and even 40 in the forecast, well atleast for now they dont have a big warm up..

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 25.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 11.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.

Monday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Hey if we can get through next week (where a lot of the East my torch) and get a few clipper snowfalls to boot, then consider ourselves very fortunate. I feel like the mid/ latter February snow threats would be mainly clippers or overunning. When early Spring blockiness season starts to kick in during March - then we have our shot at a typical interior major dump. We are due ...the last few early Springs have been pretty anemic.

The biggest threat around this time frame (day or two later) is the potential clipper that is shown by most models..Gfs brings it down to around 992mb north of toronto..

Here's the 12z gfs qpf

Hey if we can get through next week (where a lot of the East my torch) and get a few clipper snowfalls to boot, then consider ourselves very fortunate. I feel like the mid/ latter February snow threats would be mainly clippers or overunning. When early Spring blockiness season starts to kick in during March - then we have our shot at a typical interior major dump. We are due ...the last few early Springs have been pretty anemic.

My winter forecast (Made in November) called for a rude awakening in March. Below avg temps and above avg snowfall. The last 2 Marches BGM has had 1 and 2 inches of snow for the entire month. CFS is showing a bit more troughing at 500mb, and there are some indications that the NAO trends negatively at the end of this month. There is hope, but by March 1 I'm ready for spring... time to go fishin'!

Well April 1 is trout season so we can stand some more snow in March. :)

RE: the NAO, it becomes our friend much more in Upstate NY during March in a general sense. Whereas more often than not is a dry supressor in the heart of winter.

Then it becomes our enemy again from mid April to June when it gets too late for snow and you just get nasty chilly rains.....

My winter forecast (Made in November) called for a rude awakening in March. Below avg temps and above avg snowfall. The last 2 Marches BGM has had 1 and 2 inches of snow for the entire month. CFS is showing a bit more troughing at 500mb, and there are some indications that the NAO trends negatively at the end of this month. There is hope, but by March 1 I'm ready for spring... time to go fishin'!

It looks like mainly a north of I-90 event, with maybe a few scraps (an inch or two) around here, but a several inch type deal from TG to Andy.

The main function from my perspective is that it means we stave off armageddon for about three more days before the nasty two day thaw commences on Wednesday. LOL

But thaws happen and we have had a great six week stretch of continual cold.

This would be great for us up here. I'm sure it'll become less robust as we get closer to the event though.

It looks like mainly a north of I-90 event, with maybe a few scraps (an inch or two) around here, but a several inch type deal from TG to Andy.

The main function from my perspective is that it means we stave off armageddon for about three more days before the nasty two day thaw commences on Wednesday. LOL

But thaws happen and we have had a great six week stretch of continual cold.

It's about time that I'm in the bullseye.

Unless I'm reading the GFS wrong, it seems to be hinting at freezing rain for Ottawa around Thursday next week, with the 540 thickness line being right over the city. The legendary Ottawa valley effect might do its dirty work.

I'm happy for you even though it would be a modest bullseye. :)

I haven't been in a bullseye all winter either...hmm maybe in March.....

Unless I'm reading the GFS wrong, it seems to be hinting at freezing rain for Ottawa around Thursday next week, with the 540 thickness line being right over the city. The legendary Ottawa valley effect might do its dirty work.

u r right,, there would be a period of FRZRA/DZ,but with the storng SW flow, it would be shortlived on that run verbatim.

whether its a one day warmup or a 3 day that remains to be seen.....since the thaw heads into the northeast around day 6, i think it will be about 3 more days before the extent of the warmup is clear.

I am assuming this is pretty minor along the Thruway corridor from UCA to ALB. Most models have the main event north of us and you can't really trust small amounts of qpf such as .1 or .15" along the southern periphery. Also ...if anything these clippers trend a little north of progged. The Ottawa guys are sitting pretty I think.

0z nam

Kalb

SO...BEST CHANCES FOR SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY TONIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY NIGHT WITH THE WEAKER SYSTEMS SHOULD BE IN THE WESTERN

MOHAWK VALLEY AND SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS. STILL ISOLATED TO

SCATTERED ACTIVITY ACROSS THE REST OF THE REGION...WITH THE MOST

ISOLATED ACTIVITY IN SOUTHERN AREAS AND VALLEYS. ON SUNDAY AND

SUNDAY NIGHT...SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY COULD BE A BIT MORE

WIDESPREAD...WITH LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN MOST AREAS. SUNDAY

NIGHT...SOME WARMING ALOFT COULD CHANGE SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY TO A

MIX OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET IN SOUTHERN AREAS. ALL THE CLIPPER

EVENTS LOOK TO BE LOW QPF EVENTS.