• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
If this highly dynamic storm took a classic DC nor'easter track...

Terpeast

It would have beaten the blizzard of 1996 and snowmaggeddon, or even the knickerbocker storm. Bet on it.

This is one sick bugger in the midwest with very strong dynamics, and it isn't even taking any moisture from the atlantic via CCB! Imagine if it DID take in altantic moisture into its CCB... man oh man.

It would have beaten the blizzard of 1996 and snowmaggeddon, or even the knickerbocker storm. Bet on it.

This is one sick bugger in the midwest with very strong dynamics, and it isn't even taking any moisture from the atlantic via CCB! Imagine if it DID take in altantic moisture into its CCB... man oh man.

If only we had blocking :(

If you like big storms though, you are much better off living where we are. Although they get almost double my annual snowfall in Chicago, we by far get the bigger more dynamic storms than they do.

Absolutely. Winter is plain brutal in those parts. Storms like these do not happen often in the upper midwest. Twenty-four inches is the record in Chicago, and considering the cold in that city - they don't have to contend with urban heating and the like - that's not a very high total. When the big cities in the east get 24 inches the suburbs often end up with over 30 or even 40 inches. Not to mention there is usually at least one two foot storm to hit the east every year. Maybe not as wide spread, but it isn't as big a deal.

The East coast simply has a better set up for powerful winter events. The Gulf is more aligned to stream across the east with a general westerly flow, and the Atlantic is pretty much absent from midwest storms. I would much rather live here where the winters are warmer and the snows far more exciting.

Absolutely. Winter is plain brutal in those parts. Storms like these do not happen often in the upper midwest. Twenty-four inches is the record in Chicago, and considering the cold in that city - they don't have to contend with urban heating and the like - that's not a very high total. When the big cities in the east get 24 inches the suburbs often end up with over 30 or even 40 inches. Not to mention there is usually at least one two foot storm to hit the east every year. Maybe not as wide spread, but it isn't as big a deal.

The East coast simply has a better set up for powerful winter events. The Gulf is more aligned to stream across the east with a general westerly flow, and the Atlantic is pretty much absent from midwest storms. I would much rather live here where the winters are warmer and the snows far more exciting.

Yup, very little thermal gradient up arond the great lakes. Very cold most of the time with clippers and lake effect making up most of their snowfall. The storm that is hitting now is just about the only type of dynamic storm that can rock the area and they are very rare.

I love winter weather big time but the relentless cold of the upper midwest is more than I can deal with. I worked for a ski area in the CO rockies for 7 years in the 90's. Snow was awesome but any brutally cold airmasses were typically short lived. HIghs below zero were not all that common even at 11,000'+.

I don't mind living in the MA. We do get our big storms even though it can be heartbreaking at times. Winters are just cold enough to feel real and that makes spring really enjoyable. As a matter of fact, the MA is a great place to really get an equal shot of all 4 seasons. No one season is dominant enough to feel like its "too long".

Archived