• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part III

Typhoon Tip

Here is the GFS HFD sounding at 72 HR...notice the warm layer between about 800-950mb...then temps go well below-freezing below that.

110131060645.gif

Not a lot of experience with interpretting these things but that is a major push of warm air that extends pretty low .. might be ugly zr, hopefully the shallow cold is cold enough to refreeze.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a lot of experience with interpretting these things but that is a major push of warm air that extends pretty low .. might be ugly zr, hopefully the shallow cold is cold enough to refreeze.

That could be a pretty ugly ZR sounding but that is also close to being more in the way of IP...if that warm layer was just a bit cooler it might be more IP than ZR.

NOt sure what you mean with the last part of the sentence though...cold enough to refreeze as what?

Crap that means a sleetfest down this way. I want the epic ZR event.

epic zr sounds good in theory until you experience it and lose power + heat then have to use a frickin ice pick to open the door of your car in order to get a generator. axesmiley.png

Then again if that's what you're hoping for, best of luck to you lol.

That could be a pretty ugly ZR sounding but that is also close to being more in the way of IP...if that warm layer was just a bit cooler it might be more IP than ZR.

NOt sure what you mean with the last part of the sentence though...cold enough to refreeze as what?

refreeze as IP .. or does the snow only partially melt in order to form IP, was never sure of that. Always thought partially melted flakes fall as either snow grains or aggregates.

I can't imagine that the ZR threat is too high for anyone in this setup. The boundary cold layer is so stiff that I think virtually everyone who is torching at the mid levels will see sleet. There may be a narrow area with serious ZR accreciton, but I think this area will be narrow and tough to hammar out until its happening. This kind of reminds me of the Valentine's Day storm down in the DC area where I was at the time. Forecast went from rain, to panicking about ZR, to several inches of sleet. There was only the smallest sliver - maybe 20 miles wide - with major ZR accumulations to the east.

refreeze as IP .. or does the snow only partially melt in order to form IP, was never sure of that. Always thought partially melted flakes fall as either snow grains or aggregates.

Ah I see what you mean...well in order to see sleet you don't want the warm layer to be very warm (I'm sure this depends on the time of year and such but I'd guess you don't want it to be any warmer than +3C) and you want it to be around 600 to perhaps as low as 750-800mb...this way you give the precip time to re-freeze back towards IP...if the warm layer exists too low it really won't have much time to fully transform to IP.

This is going to be one tough forecast for the interior here.

So clearly the net result is a colder solution and it sounds like it's closer to the 18z nam cold than the 0z nam cold is that right? However QPF a good deal lower but still >1 ft verbatim for much of the area.

Other trends include more amped primary but also more potent PV.

How juicy does the appetizer precip look?

epic zr sounds good in theory until you experience it and lose power + heat then have to use a frickin ice pick to open the door of your car in order to get a generator. axesmiley.png

Then again if that's what you're hoping for, best of luck to you lol.

Actually yeah pretty much..I experienced it in Novemeber 2002 we lost power at my house for 3 or 4 days. Ended up having to go to my grandmother's because the house got too cold. Of course, this time we'd be dealing with super cold temperatures in the wake of the storm so it actually is a case of "be careful what you wish for."

So clearly the net result is a colder solution and it sounds like it's closer to the 18z nam cold than the 0z nam cold is that right? However QPF a good deal lower but still >1 ft verbatim for much of the area.

0.25-0.50" for S NH/S VT/all SNE

Ap is about a 2-4"...maybe 3-5".

Ah I see what you mean...well in order to see sleet you don't want the warm layer to be very warm (I'm sure this depends on the time of year and such but I'd guess you don't want it to be any warmer than +3C) and you want it to be around 600 to perhaps as low as 750-800mb...this way you give the precip time to re-freeze back towards IP...if the warm layer exists too low it really won't have much time to fully transform to IP.

This is going to be one tough forecast for the interior here.

A met may be able to clear this up better than I can. Its not just the height of the warm layer (although that definitely matters), but also the temperature at the surface. I haven't checked out the soundings, but it seems like boundary temps are going to be 24-27 in central CT where you are, which makes IP really hard to imagine, even with a relatively low warm layer.

A met may be able to clear this up better than I can. Its not just the height of the warm layer (although that definitely matters), but also the temperature at the surface. I haven't checked out the soundings, but it seems like boundary temps are going to be 24-27 in central CT where you are, which makes IP really hard to imagine, even with a relatively low warm layer.

Not a met but I've seen freezing rain at 17 degrees or lower, the upper levels don't necessarily care that much what's happening at the immediate surface. Also seen IP in the low teens so yeah the column is hugely important for p-type not just the surface temp even if it's really cold.

Archived