• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 5th and 6th Storm

CarolinaCrusher2000

The problem is twofold: First, the big monster Arctic high goes from MT down to central TX, weakening as it does so. If it traveled more easterly, then it would be in a better position to advect the cold air in here. Secondly, the big midwest blizzard storm weakens and reforms along the NE coast and races NE from there. If that were to remain consolidated and continue to strengthen, it would be a better mechanism to funnel the cold in here. If that happened, then the deep snow cover would play a role at maintaining the magnitude of the cold. Snow cover to the north is great and all, but if the flow is not coming from that area in sufficient strength, it does you no good.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would "google" Roger Smith but there are only about 100K of them. Who is this Roger Smith you speak of Dacula? TIA!

I'm sorry, here's a link to the post http://www.americanw...d-lunar-cycles/

Think about it. Think about what effects the moon has on tides, the earth's orbit etc. The atmosphere is just another fluid that has to be influenced by the forces from the moon.

The 12z GFS looks like a good ol' fashioned rain for Friday and Saturday...but next week, we may go in the freezer.

I for one hope we do because it's February and I'm not ready to give in to Spring yet..... I need at least 2-3 more weeks of real cold and winter weather. Without any blocking I don't see this happening though.

The 12z GFS looks like a good ol' fashioned rain for Friday and Saturday...but next week, we may go in the freezer.

But, as the well known Met, the Coz, puts it, "without a block the colds not a lock". So, even if we get a strong cold shot, odds are that's all it will be if no blocking is realized; A shot.

I doubt we see another major winter storm. Besides after mid Feb I'm looking for warmer weather. Winter has moved out west , la nina has finally won the battle .

I am kind of ready for warmer weather to be honest, but I'm more ready for some SNOW!!! However, if it's not going to snow again then it might as well warm up. It seems to me that we should get into a more favorable pattern soon, but the question will be whether it's too little, too late. We'll see.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? NO!! Winter's far from over boys and girls...:scooter::whistle:

DSCF0726.jpg

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

I doubt we see another major winter storm. Besides after mid Feb I'm looking for warmer weather. Winter has moved out west , la nina has finally won the battle .

I have to say I am with you, while the cold shots will come I think they are going to be moisture starved. Seems we have set up in a pattern now where the moisture moves in the cold moves out. There is just nothing to hold the cold air down.

Maybe the snow pack out in the midwest will help, but I am starting to think our big January storm was like the fireworks on 4th of July.

I have to say I am with you, while the cold shots will come I think they are going to be moisture starved. Seems we have set up in a pattern now where the moisture moves in the cold moves out. There is just nothing to hold the cold air down.

Maybe the snow pack out in the midwest will help, but I am starting to think our big January storm was like the fireworks on 4th of July.

Come on, Mark! Where is your optimism? Anything can happen and the models could be very wrong. When it was 60 degrees on New Year's Eve and we had just seen our Christmas snow melt, we had no idea that an even bigger snow was coming in just 9 days - the biggest that ATL has seen since 1993.

You may be right, but I have a feeling we are going to see some flakes fly here in North Georgia one more time before Spring comes.

Keep the faith!

Everyone, it's only Feb 1st! Winter is LONG from over. We (the south) just don't get blockbuster storms every week.

Looks like next week is going to be down right cold, but little in the way of moisture. I'm sure we'll probably warm up sometime after this...we do live in the south, you know. Indications are the -NAO will return by later in the month and we could end the winter season with a bang.

So, it's WAY to premature to write anything off yet....sometimes it's comical to read arrowheadsmiley.png

Winter is far from over for you guys in the SE. I DO think, that winter is going to take a break down there though it won't be until around the 10th or so. I think the rest of FEB *AFTER the 10th or so* looks mild down there. The SE ridge looks like its going to try and flex.

GFS and Euro have the coldest of the season for much of the south around the 10th. And while it may warm up sometime after that, this warmup has been predicted all winter and keeps getting pushed back. Looks well below normal through mid month so far anyway.

I just love how when its a cold rain. There is no shortwave getting sheared, storm being suppressed. Lack of qpf. Forecast of 30's and rain is lookig great this weekend.

And when there's a big storm in the Midwest, you don't ever have to worry about convection in the Gulf robbing moisture transport.

And when there's a big storm in the Midwest, you don't ever have to worry about convection in the Gulf robbing moisture transport.

Nope. axesmiley.png

I want at least one more snow this year. I haven't seen any accumulating snowfall since December (well, outside of a dusting on 1/8 and the 10 minutes of light snow I saw before it started sleeting in 1/10). I am having withdrawals!!! lmaosmiley.gif

18z GFS is running.

This warm up is real

My company pays for JB"s site as well but he is been saying its going to warm up since December 4th and it hasn't yet. Eventually he will be right if he keeps saying it long enough. I have not seen anybody say anything about winter is over an the warm up is here to stay. I assume time will tell and if he is right its the first time this year that he has been. He also said we were getting snow this weekendwhistle.gif

Well at least the 18z GFS dumps almost 2 inches of qpf on me.

You just know that it will trend drier and drier until verification date and we'll end up with a tenth of an inch of cold rain when it's all said and done. axesmiley.png

I think it is time to punt the football regarding this weekend's system. It had a good run, but may it rest in peace.

Hopefully, we can reload and get something interesting going in late February-early March.

My company pays for JB"s site as well but he is been saying its going to warm up since December 4th and it hasn't yet. Eventually he will be right if he keeps saying it long enough. I have not seen anybody say anything about winter is over an the warm up is here to stay. I assume time will tell and if he is right its the first time this year that he has been. He also said we were getting snow this weekendwhistle.gif

Sounds like you need to cancel JB !!!

Archived