joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OV Winter Storm Threat for February 2-3

dilly84

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro looks to track this baby through South Central Ohio. Maybe a little bit SE of the last run, I can deal with this as long as its not going NW lol.

looks a little south to me. Not a lot but a tad. The 0z took the low straight across central OH whereas the 12z takes it through South central OH. Gotta hope the ggem op pulls the coop.

looks a little south to me. Not a lot but a tad. The 0z took the low straight across central OH whereas the 12z takes it through South central OH. Gotta hope the ggem op pulls the coop.

Sorry, been out of the loop. What did ggem show here? All snow? If this Euro run is south, it could be a slight trend, very slight, but nonetheless. I think the 0z Euro was even a little south of yesterday's 12z wasn't it?

Sorry, been out of the loop. What did ggem show here? All snow? If this Euro run is south, it could be a slight trend, very slight, but nonetheless. I think the 0z Euro was even a little south of yesterday's 12z wasn't it?

It was very slight. The gem took the low to NC So yes it was a pounding with snow.. LOL.. Euro isnt budging though.. Still 4 days out, but Im worried.

It was very slight. The gem took the low to NC So yes it was a pounding with snow.. LOL.. Euro isnt budging though.. Still 4 days out, but Im worried.

Got ya! Thx. All together now, OH CANADA, MY (I don't know the words)....

Dill, can you confirm if last night's 0z euro was slightly south of yesterday's 12z?

Ice storms are pretty rare in CLE. We've had some ice but nothing significant. It's usually snow or rain... no in between. The area from MFD south tends to see more ice.

It's good to see the consistency of the GFS... if the euro was on board I'd be a lot more comfortable. But I'm happy not being in the bullseye this far out... that usually ends in disappointment. A track south of river then up to W/Central PA would be ideal. Still think a SE movement is coming.

We can't afford any more shift at all to the NW. The general track that the Euro and GFS advertise is fairly typical IMO. It's pretty common for these storms to dump heavy snows quite a bit north and west of Dayton up through NE Ohio with mixing concerns from Akron/Canton southward. Those snow maps clearly show how close Cuyahoga County is to mixing on the GFS.

Look at this way, this storm is 90 hours out. No track stays put for that long. I'm sure there'll be some notable shifts as we move forward. But the last thing I want is a northwest shift that causes a huge ice storm here. I can't even picture the madness over that type of ice event which most here have never experienced.

God it is warm though...

WED 06Z 02-FEB 1.9 1.9 1006 95 89 0.41 552 548

WED 12Z 02-FEB 7.2 0.6 997 94 21 0.34 539 542

That's a bit suspect to me if the low stays south of us. I can see us into the 33-35 range, but 40s? No way, we'll need some serious south winds for that. Even 33-35 for a few hours would still have significant ice before that, but not as bad.

I am hoping that the southern energy slows down and forces the low further south for a time before it shoots north. Say no to ice period. Stuff is terrible as I remember from December 2004 and where I live now, west central ohio, was hit hard in 2005.

Please nothing like December 2004-anything but that. Snow,rain, just anything but an icestorm. Sitting around in the living room as the transformers blew with that weird blue light and buzzing sound, and wondering if the trees were going to fall on the house or in the yards as they cracked under the ice with a sound like a rifle shot! *shudders* Great memories...uh..not so much.

Let Chicago, etc. get three feet of snow if it means we do not get ice like that.

Are you ready to throw in the towel on this one? Think the models are overplaying the temps at all?

right now my biggest concern is the ice storm that is looking apprent.. Not throwing in the towel yet, as we have the gem and gfs more on our side. a slight south shift on the gfs would give us all snow in central OH, while the gem does give all snow.. here is my preliminary thoughts.. I will update through the weekend on what I believe will happen.

post-1236-0-85848300-1296333145.jpg

right now my biggest concern is the ice storm that is looking apprent.. Not throwing in the towel yet, as we have the gem and gfs more on our side. a slight south shift on the gfs would give us all snow in central OH, while the gem does give all snow.. here is my preliminary thoughts.. I will update through the weekend on what I believe will happen.

Well I'm with you, I'd rather have snow or rain. Ice can be crippling and is extremely dangerous. It seems that with these types of setups, the powerful low just throws too much warm air out ahead of it. The only good thing is that I would think that it isn't going to go much NW from here. If anything, I would expect a small SE trend but it may not be enough to keep us in the snows.

Still 84+ hours out so a change in track is likely. Question is, does it go NW to keep us rain or pull a bit SE to give us more snow/sleet instead of frz rain?

well the euro would have to shift 200 miles to put us in snow lol.. and the gfs takes the low through KY but still gives us zr. Gem gave us all snow but took the low through southern KY over to NC so that is the track we need.. So we are going to need a pretty significant change.

okay what is with HPC? They are flopping like fish out of water..

...AFTERNOON UPDATE...

NEW 12Z GFS IS MORE PROGRESSIVE WITH THE MID LEVEL TROF AFTER DAY

4 WED THAN PRIOR RUNS AND OTHER MODELS AND ITS ENS MEAN. 12Z

CMC/UKMET AND ENS MEANS REMAIN PREFERRED. NO CHANGES TO AFTERNOON

FINALS FROM PRIOR HPC PRELIM PROGS.

EXPECT A BROAD HEAVY SNOW SWATH FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS EAST AND

NORTHEAST NORTH OF THE OH RIVER AND MASON DIXON LINE TUESDAY INTO

WEDNESDAY WITH VERY FAVORABLE UPPER LEVEL JET COUPLING. HEAVY

RAINS SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE LOWER MS AND TN VALLEYS TUESDAY AND

WEDNESDAY.

I think the writing is on the wall for central OH...either it is an epic ice storm or a slop storm. I'm rooting for slop or all rain now.

An ice storm would be the worst case scenario. :gun_bandana:

Yea. Towel is in hand. I'm tossing it officially at 0z. Congrats to the cleveland folks though. Enjoy your snow.. Without a south shift at 0z all we will have to hold on to is the gem and jma lol..

Archived