MODEL AGREEMENT HAS MARKEDLY IMPROVED TONIGHT AS THE 00Z EURO HAS

FINALLY GIVEN UP ON THE IDEA OF A SHARP WESTERN CONUS TROUGH AND

SOUTHEAST RIDGE DEVELOPING NEXT WEEK AND NO LONGER TAKES A SFC LOW

ACROSS LOWER MICHIGAN. SO THE WINTER STORM IT WAS SHOWING FOR EARLY

NEXT WEEK IS NOW SHUNTED FAR SOUTH IN A MORE ZONAL FLOW...AS THE GFS

HAS BEEN SHOWING THE PAST FEW DAYS.

ALTHOUGH THIS IMPLIES LESS SNOW...IT ALSO IMPLIES MORE COLD AS

ARCTIC AIR DOMINATES THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES WITH 850MB TEMPS SHOWN

BY BOTH MODELS TO BE IN THE MINUS 15 TO 20C RANGE BY TUESDAY.

Story of the winter, cold domination.

odd to see GRR throw in the towel like that based on one euro run :huh: They're usually fairly bullish on potential

and exactly what are they referring to when they say 'marked improvement in model agreement'? really?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like there were some minor meltdowns last night. It’s rough to see some of this seasons demons rise back up but that’s how it goes sometimes, we've struggled all winter to amplify storms coming out of the southwest and it's looking more and more like we'll be able to add this one to the list of threats bullied into submition (Speaking more of the western lakes people here, OH valley with better odds). A low probability thread the needed situation remains, but it is what it is, low probability.

nam looks like it would yield a better solution then the euro 00z. You can see the euro holding back the energy while the nam is bringing everything out. Can't imagine later nam panels would be suppressed

No you're right, it would be better than the 0z euro, and way better than the GFS, it just didn't look as wicked at the 0z NAM was setting up to be, which IMO is the key because the NAM is making a habit this season of being too far north and amplified in it's later periods, so i'm pretty much discounting it. Good stuff though Buckeye. Hopefully we can keep this thread on track and not turn it into a wine and cheese fest.

A little sampling from Skilling's blog on this potential storm:

"It's hard to know with certainty which of these forecast approaches is the right one. But, the 240 mph jet stream winds moving into the eastern Pacific late Wednesday---extraordinarily strong winds which have been known in the past to drive impressive storm development as they proceed into the center of the country"

A little sampling from Skilling's blog on this potential storm:

"It's hard to know with certainty which of these forecast approaches is the right one. But, the 240 mph jet stream winds moving into the eastern Pacific late Wednesday---extraordinarily strong winds which have been known in the past to drive impressive storm development as they proceed into the center of the country"

I'm not really following Tom here and could be way off. But it looks to me like by the time our vort is puttering into the southwest the jet support at 200mb and 300mb is pretty weak sauce. The better jet energy lags behind well into the Pacific.

nam_300_084m.gif

I figure the models will flip flop again, but it's still not going to mean much the end result will be the same: Another EC storm. The trend has been against us this season, and that appears to be the way it is going to stay, so, might as well live with it and look forward to warmer weather.

I figure the models will flip flop again, but it's still not going to mean much the end result will be the same: Another EC storm. The trend has been against us this season, and that appears to be the way it is going to stay, so, might as well live with it and look forward to warmer weather.

I think a track along the apps is just as if not more likely than an EC storm at this point.

A quick look at the mean says doubtful. If you want to look on the brightside, the major problem is something the Euro has been known to struggle with.

w/e happened to strong waves coming ashore and not having to rely on other energies to become a respectable storm. This pacific pattern doesn't yield many storms that stay together? Kinda confused/curious why we haven't seen any .

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the euro go back to a big storm at 12z

It wouldn't really surprise me either, but it is amazing how much the mood of this forum has changed over the course of 12 hours. During the day yesterday, most of the models favored our area for a major storm; now, most of the models favor a coastal.

w/e happened to strong waves coming ashore and not having to rely on other energies to become a respectable storm. This pacific pattern doesn't yield many storms that stay together? Kinda confused/curious why we haven't seen any .

northern vorts keep out pacing any good pac storm, dumping down cold air, shutting off any return flow and suppressing the action south and east. pretty much what the GFS is showing.

It wouldn't really surprise me either, but it is amazing how much the mood of this forum has changed over the course of 12 hours. During the day yesterday, most of the models favored our area for a major storm; now, most of the models favor a coastal.

Not really most, we had one op run and a couple of its ensembles. The GFS has always been no (and just took another step back) and the GGEM trended away from a storm yesterday at 12z. New 12z GFS misses the phase by a wide shot and sends the orphan vort to die in the desert, very much like the 0z Euro. At this point I think we have pretty decent model agreement, with only the NAM keeping hope alive, but it has a history this winter that leads me to discount it.

Not really most, we had one op run and a couple of its ensembles. The GFS has always been no (and just took another step back) and the GGEM trended away from a storm yesterday at 12z. New 12z GFS misses the phase by a wide shot and sends the orphan vort to die in the desert, very much like the 0z Euro. At this point I think we have pretty decent model agreement, with only the NAM keeping hope alive, but it has a history this winter that leads me to discount it.

Wasn't it basically all the models except the GFS and maybe the Canadian? I should've said 24 hours ago, before the GGEM shifted south and east.

Hour 90 on the gfs a storm tries to get together but it just keeps drifting south. Never seen this occur as many times as it has this year. The potential all looks good in the middle of the country then it gets shunted ESE.

The potential is gone well before hour 90. Check out the 500mb maps on the GFS and NAM at initialization hr 0 and hr48, that's where the storm is made, you can clearly see the differences in strength and how each evolves their travel. If the Pac storm doesn't phase with the northern piece piece like the GFS and Euro are showing, the pacific vort will be shunted into the southwest while the northern piece dumps the cold air into the plains leading to the suppression we've seen all summer and this will not allow the southern piece to amplify. Given the troubles of the NAM at this range and the problems Pac waves have had this year, i'm leaning on no phase, at least no one early enough for us. Hopefully the NAM can pull the coup.

Archived