• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
PHL CWA Jan 26/27 Obs and Discussion thread..part II

NJHurricane

Glad to see another poster come in with 6" in our area. Good stuff man!

Easily a foot on the ground by the end of this thing tonight.

Yeah, I measured 6" as well, amazing how deep the snow is already. And to think the main course is still tonight - we could be talking MECS totals easily in the 12-16" range.

29F and flurries now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I amfairly confident that it will happen

Trying to understand should we expect more snow or just blizzard like conditions i was on aw forums asking kinda got a understanding but would like some more help understand the full extent of a phase

A capturing certainly seems possible, and would explain some of the difficulties the models have had, but man if the HHHR is right, than the LHV will get hammered as would parts of the southern poconos.

Everything feels like it is in flux right now.

Is there any kind of analog to what we are witnessing, or are we in virgin territory?

Trying to understand should we expect more snow or just blizzard like conditions i was on aw forums asking kinda got a understanding but would like some more help understand the full extent of a phase

A full phase with the arctic disturbance will caause the storm to "bomb out" and rapidly intensify. It should allow the storm to slow it's progression off the coast and almost stall for a bit while the pressures rapidly drop. It will increase snowfall rates and lead to initense banding in the deformation zones.

I am wondering if 8-12 inch amounts for the warning, will end up being a tad low? after all we all were expecting 0-maybe 1" of slop by 5pm...and the forecast last night was for 6-10" from then on generally...with a widespread 4-6" on the ground already, add another 6-8" were looking at 10-14" amounts? possibly more?

Wow, what a great day so far. A surprise snow this morning and more tonight. On top of that, my wife just told me that she is pregnant with out third child after a year of trying. It doesn't get much better

By the way I am in Richboro, pa and it looks like we got between 5-6 so far

Updated snowfall amounts for the redheaded stepkids below the canal from Mt Holly (I am kidding)

DEZ002-MDZ012-015-262330-

/O.CON.KPHI.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-110127T0900Z/

KENT-KENT MD-QUEEN ANNES-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DOVER...CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE

1021 AM EST WED JAN 26 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST

THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST THURSDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: A MIX OF SNOW...SLEET AND RAIN ARE

EXPECTED TODAY. THE MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO SNOW BY

THE EVENING COMMUTE.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 6 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING: RAIN OR A RAIN AND SLEET MIXTURE IS EXPECTED THIS

MORNING. ALL RAIN IS EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON. RAIN IS THEN

EXPECTED TO CHANGE OVER TO SNOW THIS EVENING...HEAVY AT

TIMES...AND LAST THROUGH ABOUT MIDNIGHT. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO

2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE

* IMPACTS: ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL BE FALLING BY THE END OF THE

COMMUTE THIS EVENING...AND TRAVEL WILL BECOME MORE DIFFICULT AS

THE EVENING WEARS ON. THE SNOW SHOULD BE OVER BY THE TIME THE

THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTE STARTS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO

POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

:scooter:

A full phase with the arctic disturbance will caause the storm to "bomb out" and rapidly intensify. It should allow the storm to slow it's progression off the coast and almost stall for a bit while the pressures rapidly drop. It will increase snowfall rates and lead to initense banding in the deformation zones.

Where would the jackpot be? jersey again or do you think it could be more nw then other storms

alright guys, what a great rd 1, im going to bed, been up for 25 hrs....drunk.gif to rd 2...finished with 5 with .44 qpf from the core

Take it easy. i just tried napping, but the excitement inside is keeping me up. working tonight, gonna be LOOONG. Ill get good reports out as much as i can from the street. can''t wait for this beast to come roaring through.

Wow. Just got back from the city. Egg meet face.

In Topic: PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Today, 05:30 AM

snapback.pngnzucker, on 26 January 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

The radar returns in S NJ look to mean business, and could affect NYC metro in a few hours. I don't think models anticipated the extent of the overrunning precipitation and its ability to advance northward. This could be a surprise for some during the morning commute. Is anyone else a bit pleased with the radar?

Not in the least. The rain/snow line is running from ACY just north of MIV west to north of BWI and screaming northward with the WAA. Anything that falls at least around here gets washed away.

I busted. Huge. Massive.

Archived