-
Posts
2,559 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by RogueWaves
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
would fill-in some blanks for the "have nots" of SWMI -
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
Keep it trending south, thx -
These graphics have become way too common
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
I'd gladly embrace 2011-12 as long as I can get kissed full on the lips by 2013-14 later! -
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
Both analog Nina winters, fwiw -
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
I will give you that map, but I will take the storm -
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
So, 98-99 analog's in play then. great -
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
We need a 1-12-1918 redux. Earliest news accounts of rescuing stranded motorists I've personally seen. -
Last I checked, October 25th is squarely in autumn territory.
-
2011-12 says "hold my beer" :-(
-
Nina gonna rock..
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
RogueWaves replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
Here we scored (3) legit warned storms. Dec 15th was 10", the New Years Eve storm was an 8-10" event, and then the March 21-22 storm that delivered a full 13". Feb didn't feature a biggie despite getting around 30" for the month. And then 08-09, it just got better..more cold and more snow. Actually, for here, 13-14 narrowly edged 08-09 in total snow, but ofc is the hands down winner in days with deep snow cover. 1/6/14, Depth ~22", Temp @ -16F, with a balmy -41F WC -
It's the Chinese export that just keeps on giving. Was unemployed by COVID. Now I'm employed by COVID. As The World Turns..
-
Nightmare stuff. Glad to hear from you. Can't imagine the clean-up misery in the heat of the tropics post-major hurricanes, but now you can unfortunately. I'll take a hard pass on a 1st hand at that one.
-
Anyone able to look up firm 2020 total death numbers (all causes) for the US? I'm not super-search savvy but my attempts via Google and Bing have ended in frustration. Tons of hits about C-19 this and C-19 that but still can't pin down a chart/graph/list of the total count (to date).
-
On the MI closed list iiuc, would be bars that mainly serve just alcohol w/o a true kitchen. Cinemas and gyms. Large auditorium events. Schools. And businesses that have taken a financial torpedo to the bow and won't be seen floating again when this is over. That's all I've got. Some other Michigander here feel free to clarify..
-
Dittos. The increased positives via increased testing is a no-brainer. IF death rates start spiking around here I'll be more concerned but that number (which never seems the first focus of our main media outlets) continues flat-lining. All the hoopla over that MSU campus bar that opened and was flooded with student-aged patrons that couldn't wait to get back to their drinking hangout resulted in 100+ positives. But the last article I saw nobody was ill, let alone hospitalized. And they tested all known contacts even outside the establishment per the news article. I say Mask Up Open Up!
-
Yet, our state's leadership chose the non-traditional path of folding tent and closing shop. Who doesn't understand that this economic crunch will role up to the government payrolls in due time as private sector businesses are who/what actually funds all those services/dept's. It's like "ready, fire, aim!"...as you shoot your own foot.
-
In Michigan? I don't think you even have the option to do those here. Mine would've stopped at getting a haircut aside from the mentioned visit to the bookstore's coffee shop area, and an unfortunately timed death in the immediate family.
-
Yeah, and I wasn't slamming Jonger for his biz making out good. But the state UIA maximum (which hasn't changed in literally decades) is a joke as far as living on it for anyone that makes a decent wage/salary. Forget it unless you are single with super cheap rent, can live on starvation-level calories, and don't own/maintain a car. It's gap insurance, I get it, but you better have that nest egg to chew on or you'll be hurtin for certain, and quickly. Other better scenario is ofc if you're married and have a spouse who is still getting their normal income. That's much easier all the way around. I am amazed that the state's court system is gearing up to deal with an estimated 80K+ "renter evictions" as we head into August when the governor is allowing the pandemic protection to expire. Who are these people? It doesn't make sense as anyone who had a job and qualified for UIA should've been getting the extra $2400/mo which easily pays 99% of people's rent around MI with plenty left-over in most cases. I know it's been mentioned that people have been living "high on the hog" if the pandemic $$ was actually more than they made working, but still, you pay the rent first, right??
-
As much as this has helped your biz, it's a disaster for thousands and cutting-off assistance cold turkey is not the way to go. Opening as you outline is right, but those that don't have a job to return to will be destitute if left on their own with zero aid. The over-generous fed pandemic UIA is already set to expire and I don't think the Dem's will manage to get it extended. A more realistic amount/formula is in the works as a compromise between the D's 3T proposal and the R's 1T proposal. Stay tuned..
-
The 2 aren't that far apart on the chart actually. If the outdoor cookout is presuming distancing then yeah, it edges out the indoors eatery. I've been to one pool party and it was with immediate fam mostly so the distancing was a bit lax. I just came from eating-in at the local B&N coffee shop and felt totally safe. Tables were limited and spread about 10 or 12 feet apart. Masks were worn whenever you were not at your table eating and drinking. It's self-serve so no waitstaff running around and it wasn't that busy but most tables were in use.
-
I would say it's "raging and dangerous" when death numbers are spiking, not just test cases catching up with the inevitable spread.
-
We may have that convenient data now, but was it known at the beginning of that coming into the U.S. when decisions were being made? If not, then it isn't a fair comparison in my book.
-
Read several of those articles, thx. And those anti-maskers were in an era (or shortly after) when donning masks for all kinds of illnesses/outbreaks/mass deaths was quite common. It's worth noting in the main article that masking was more popular during the war as it was viewed as patriotic. It was post-war that the real push-backs started in earnest. It's also difficult to make an even comparison between then and now for other reasons as well. The slowness with which data could circulate to the general public (night and day). The number of fatalities were massive with that thus the fear was legit as most people lost loved ones, or at least knew local people who got ill and/or perished. As for enforcing more then, the "mask police" on the street corner did that, but downtown's were the marketplace then. Would be the equivalent of shopping malls today, which here anyways are barely open. But then again, brick-n-morter's been on life support due to online markets taking over.
