Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tombo...it sounded like .1-.25 of that fell as either rain or sleet in PHL/ILG...depending on surface temps I guess. Is that correct? Does the Euro have surface maps? I know I always hear it has a warmish bias so I am waving the weenie here hoping that that is true. Pretty much every other model looks like it is close to not even raining at all in ILG.

the 2m temps for the euro never get below frz during the event. Like ppl have said euro may run a slight warm bias...also i have noticed from the sv maps is that they over compensate for the ocean effects...

I've got a question..........always wondered this but never really asked. How do you know what time the storm will hit from the models? It always seems as if the storm arrives alot quicker than the models show. I'm in reading PA and the 12z gfs shows us getting precip around hr 33 or so...... based on radar, I'd think it would start earlier than that. Just wondering the best way to figure out when the event will start (roughly).

id say 6 inches is probably the upper end of what the euro is putting out, for about half the storm the 850's are above freezing, and ratios will suck even when it flips if i were forecasting for philly based solely on the euro, id probably go 4-6 inches.

It looks like the euro has 6 inches plus for Philly and a little more for the burbs and that looks like the low end of the models.

alex, it looks like the deform band like jumps nyc area.

It reminds me of some past storms that did that.... one was Vet Day 1997, another was April 1996 and one more April 1997. Most of these seem to have occurred at the beginning or end of the season; it would be interesting to see what something like that happening in late Jan would be like. Regardless, I really like the fact that most of the area is getting .75 and above, and hopefully the euro's warm bias is showing at the surface; perhaps we can all have at least 75% snow out of this.

id say 6 inches is probably the upper end of what the euro is putting out, for about half the storm the 850's are above freezing, and ratios will suck even when it flips if i were forecasting for philly based solely on the euro, id probably go 4-6 inches.

At least that for the city more for the cooler burbs.

mm5 is great for 24hrs and in, once outside of that its eeee.

No doubt. I am highly dubious of the precip gradient it shows, especially at 48 hours.

I find the colder solution to possibly have a bit more legs given that is only 36 out. Seems early for that much cold, I know 850's are starting to creep offshore at that time, but would expect the surface might need longer to cool. Any other model support for a complete changeover that early? Cooling effects from the snow fall rates?

Will certainly be watching it closely, especially the 12z run tomorrow when it is in it's range, particularly considering the relative accuracy of the mesocale models for banding events like these.

Archived