• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

I see the GFS is forecasting mid 560s 1000-500mb thicknesses around the first day of summer, I mean spring, how about a run at the mid 80s?

EC Ensemble mean for 3/20 is off the wall. Pretty much everyone from Springfield Mass to Philly to Richmond on west to KC and Fargo is 25+ above average.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people who like warm winters seem to forget about people whose income depends on having snow and cold. Landscapers who depend on snow removel to get them through the winter are in bad shape right now. And like you mentioned about fruit trees, I was at Cherry Hill Orchards yesterday. It is a local grower here in Lancaster County. They are very concerned about the potential for a devastating freeze this spring. One night is all it takes to ruin a year. That is why i tell people who live up this way who hate the cold in the winter time. Move south.

people in the agricultural industry or any business directly related to or affected by weather deal with abnormalities all the time. It's part of being in the business and if you are in that business and expect every year to be a carbon copy and follow a script then you won't be in business very long. It is a shame that the landscapers that rely on snow removal for income and such had a bad winter, but it's no different than people in the steel industry that have rising costs b/c of lack of supply and any other commodity driven business. If you can't adapt then get into another business. I think most people on this site are snow people and they are just talking about the current abnormal warm spell, not wishing harm to people's livelihoods. Lighten up a little!

people in the agricultural industry or any business directly related to or affected by weather deal with abnormalities all the time. It's part of being in the business and if you are in that business and expect every year to be a carbon copy and follow a script then you won't be in business very long. It is a shame that the landscapers that rely on snow removal for income and such had a bad winter, but it's no different than people in the steel industry that have rising costs b/c of lack of supply and any other commodity driven business. If you can't adapt then get into another business. I think most people on this site are snow people and they are just talking about the current abnormal warm spell, not wishing harm to people's livelihoods. Lighten up a little!

and with regards to snow removal......these folks had banner years the past two seasons. If you are in the landscaping business and need snow removal to make it through the winter, perhaps you should relocate your business. Or better yet, find another income source for the winter months.

Outside of maybe this weekend, and that might be pushing it, are you worried about more freezes? I don't see any signs of freeze potential in the MR all the way out through early April (though, to be fair, I would have missed Tuesday morning in the MR)

Haven't dug through my records, but I can't recall an April that didn't get below freezing at least once in April here in the NW suburbs. Not hard to be up near 60 in the daytime and drop below 32 at night with a dry ground and a dry airmass.

I'd think we'd have to get down in the mid 20's though to really damage fruit blossoms, they are little more hardy than

green leaves on garden vegetables or actual fruit on the tree.

Rushing to get fruit trees pruned before they bud. Should've been done a couple weeks ago...

and with regards to snow removal......these folks had banner years the past two seasons. If you are in the landscaping business and need snow removal to make it through the winter, perhaps you should relocate your business. Or better yet, find another income source for the winter months.

my cousin owns a landscaping business out here, he has had his crews working just about the entire month of Feb. so they really only had down time of a couple months. As far as snow most business's that rely on it as an income have retainers to help out for years like this, granted its not the same income as a good snow season but it helps. The landscaping trade surely is a feast or famine business.

It's more an issue of managing their business model better to be able to make it through the winter without having to rely on snowfall. Snow removal should be treated by these guys as "gravy income" and not to be relied upon as a means to get through the winter. It's tough to do that but you can't rely on snow around here. Most good lawncare guys know that.

Any snow removal income in theory should be banked away to save up for years where they need equipment for the lawncare side...and shouldn't be treated as primary income at all.

It's more an issue of managing their business model better to be able to make it through the winter without having to rely on snowfall. Snow removal should be treated by these guys as "gravy income" and not to be relied upon as a means to get through the winter. It's tough to do that but you can't rely on snow around here. Most good lawncare guys know that.

Any snow removal income in theory should be banked away to save up for years where they need equipment for the lawncare side...and shouldn't be treated as primary income at all.

also, if you have a mild winter you can work longer into the winter/through winter which makes up for the snow removal part

By the way, landscapers are not the guys for primary snow plowing-- thats a secondary income for them not primary. The real guys hurting are the earth moving contractors who have plowing equipment sitting idle for several months. They are stuck because they cannot move earth in the winter time with frozen soils, cannot stabilize what they disturbed and if they do move earth, they are spending beau coup bucks for erosion controls. Also, if whining makes you feel better about the lack of snowfall- just go to Florida. Imagine what Aspen Co would do without snow- snowfall is critical and those who b**ch about it better should live in Florida and beg for clean drinking water (not salt water)- something we have because of the snow and they don't.

It really does not matter what u do in seasonal work....everyone is hurting....hell im hurting....but back to work finally....and it seems everyone is getting a early start.....after leaf clean-ups are done in december not much to do after...a mild january does nothing for my income.....and febuary is way to early for clean ups and mulch....a nice wall job can be helpful in a mild winter or woods clean up.

Not calling anyone out but i never depend on snow...but u need to be ready....salt....maintance on trucks and plows....lots mark out....you might gain a new account and need bigger equipment or rental stuff....its not as simple as putting a plow on ur truck...also liability insurance needs to be carried.....thats why we play the game....we will live to fight another day...but guys are hurting.....i have 20 tons of salt that needs to be stored over the summer...not easy finding spots to do this....epa and etc are giving tickets like crazy...as economy has hurt the funding....it helps to have a second source of income....such as a career in something else....but easier said then done....seasonal contracts are prob the best way to go...but are not a easy pitch....

I never depend on snow....but i will be dam if im not ready.....i have client base and insurance company to answer to...telling someone to put money away after two snowy winters is not something u do.....its better to start putting away in the spring.....i put 100$ away each week in a separate account....to prepare for a warm winter

It really does not matter what u do in seasonal work....everyone is hurting....hell im hurting....but back to work finally....and it seems everyone is getting a early start.....after leaf clean-ups are done in december not much to do after...a mild january does nothing for my income.....and febuary is way to early for clean ups and mulch....a nice wall job can be helpful in a mild winter or woods clean up.

Not calling anyone out but i never depend on snow...but u need to be ready....salt....maintance on trucks and plows....lots mark out....you might gain a new account and need bigger equipment or rental stuff....its not as simple as putting a plow on ur truck...also liability insurance needs to be carried.....thats why we play the game....we will live to fight another day...but guys are hurting.....i have 20 tons of salt that needs to be stored over the summer...not easy finding spots to do this....epa and etc are giving tickets like crazy...as economy has hurt the funding....it helps to have a second source of income....such as a career in something else....but easier said then done....seasonal contracts are prob the best way to go...but are not a easy pitch....

I never depend on snow....but i will be dam if im not ready.....i have client base and insurance company to answer to...telling someone to put money away after two snowy winters is not something u do.....its better to start putting away in the spring.....i put 100$ away each week in a separate account....to prepare for a warm winter

After reading some mentions of snow plowing here, there is actually an entire forum for all you snow plowing fans.

http://www.plowsite.com/

Archived