joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

87/63/19

Took a risk on the high, but a good day could put me as high as 3rd after today. Of course, that's unlikely (getting both the high and wind spot on), so more likely I'll be somewhat lower. Really hoping for one of those cat 2 trophies.

EDIT: If it's 83F at 18z, I'll be feeling good about my 87F. 82F and I'd be on edge. 81F and I think I'm out.

Took a risk on the high, but a good day could put me as high as 3rd after today. Of course, that's unlikely (getting both the high and wind spot on), so more likely I'll be somewhat lower. Really hoping for one of those cat 2 trophies.

EDIT: If it's 83F at 18z, I'll be feeling good about my 87F. 82F and I'd be on edge. 81F and I think I'm out.

I had 87 at first and chickened out. Sort of wishing I didn't change it.

76 now with variable winds. They hit 79 intra-hour before the NNW winds kicked up and it's only 11am there...hopefully a sign that if the winds return to a more easterly direction they can still shoot up into the mid 80's. The NAM has very weak low level winds for the next several hours before strong NNW winds redevelop this evening.

Still think my 87 is in trouble, but really, it's 11 degrees in 3-4 hours. Not impossible.

EDIT: Maybe it is impossible. Couldn't find a day over the past month where the temperature rose more than 7F between now and the high temperature, and I need 11. Damn...

lol it just went up 6 degrees from 19 to 20z. 85F now. 

Wow, that's insane considering KSDB dropped back down to 72 earlier :P Tomorrow is a great opportunity to crush the consensus and leave this station on high note.

If I had to guess, consensus will be 88 or 89 for the high tomorrow. I could see them getting to 91 at most although I'm not sure if I'll forecast that or go a tad cooler. Winds are a little perplexing...can they funnel ENE winds as well as NNW winds there?

If I had to guess, consensus will be 88 or 89 for the high tomorrow. I could see them getting to 91 at most although I'm not sure if I'll forecast that or go a tad cooler. Winds are a little perplexing...can they funnel ENE winds as well as NNW winds there?

It looks like there could be decent downslope off of the mountains into the valley south of SDB tomorrow with a bit of a surface trough along the coast...but there's a gap in the mountains east of SDB. The NNW winds tonight could stay gusty for a couple of hours after 8z, but I have a feeling the strongest winds between now and 6z Saturday will be this evening.

I think consensus will be 88 tomorrow, but I'm having same thoughts as you. Do we aim high or will winds keep that in check? Tough...

oh sweet.

I was doing pretty damn well then the past 3 days just took a nose dive. I think I'm down to 188th

For your first city ever, 188th is pretty solid. You were beating consensus which is a nice goal each city. I finished 9th overall last year for the whole contest and finished worse than consensus in 4 cities (although two of those were just by a few points). You'll take a huge hit tomorrow by taking climo but overall I wouldn't be too disappointed. Just remember to forecast in the future :P

For your first city ever, 188th is pretty solid. You were beating consensus which is a nice goal each city. I finished 9th overall last year for the whole contest and finished worse than consensus in 4 cities (although two of those were just by a few points). You'll take a huge hit tomorrow by taking climo but overall I wouldn't be too disappointed. Just remember to forecast in the future :P

To add on, I didn't even beat the consensus until my second semester of WxChallenge :P

Archived