Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn & Garden Thread

POWERSTROKE

Mine ate a small snake the other day.

Wow!  I've never seen that happen.  There are some lizards around the pond, so I'm sure they have eaten some of those before when I wasn't looking.  Never would have thought they would eat a snake though.  Surprisingly enough, I've never seen any snakes around the pond.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I unearth worm snakes every year pulling up stuff.  I grabbed one with my hands this year accidentally.  Next time I get one, I may have to try that out.  The lotus pot I used have only had about an inch or 2 of water covering it.  They used to get on that before it came up, looking for stuff in the rocks then flop around until they fell back in the deeper water.

I went on a fishing trip in Port St. Joe and Homosassa Springs last year in Florida.  On the drive to both locations I stopped at different springs along the way.  The first one we stopped at had 2 of the largest carp I've ever seen.  They had to be at least 3-4' long and a foot in diameter.  I wasn't able to get a good pic of them though because they were behind the swimming area.  They had it roped off because it fed into a river where gators were abundant.  Next time you go to Florida don't pass up on an opportunity to visit any springs you pass by.  They have beautifully clear water and are around 72° year round.  In the winter Manatees go into them for the warm water.  Snorkeling in them is incredibly fun and some of them are 50+ feet deep.

QIljTxB.jpg

62joxJt.jpg

LTpeKQu.jpg

I went on a fishing trip in Port St. Joe and Homosassa Springs last year in Florida.  On the drive to both locations I stopped at different springs along the way.  The first one we stopped at had 2 of the largest carp I've ever seen.  They had to be at least 3-4' long and a foot in diameter.  I wasn't able to get a good pic of them though because they were behind the swimming area.  They had it roped off because it fed into a river where gators were abundant.  Next time you go to Florida don't pass up on an opportunity to visit any springs you pass by.  They have beautifully clear water and are around 72° year round.  In the winter Manatees go into them for the warm water.  Snorkeling in them is incredibly fun and some of them are 50+ feet deep.

QIljTxB.jpg

62joxJt.jpg

LTpeKQu.jpg

Brings back memories. Spent most of my 20's and early 30's water skiing all over Florida, South Carolina and the southeast . Those canals and springs are beautiful. 

I went from having hundreds of tadpoles yesterday in the pond to almost zero today.  I caught the blue fish eating them at lunch.  Not sure how they all emerged in the pond overnight, other than swimming in from the bog area, but even then that area isn't big enough to hold that many.  Kind of glad they ate them though.  There is already an abundance of frogs/toads making all kinds of racket at night, especially after it rains.  There's a big bullfrog that has been around for the last few years.  I saw it a couple weeks ago after I ran the sprinkler near the pond.  It was just sitting there laying in the wet grass.  Should have taken a picture of it.  That thing has really gotten big this year.

The frogs are bigger this year, because they are getting ready for a long , cold, blockbuster winter!

:)

Yeah, blockbuster for Boone maybe.  I'm going to be pretty skeptical this winter anytime models have the upstate receiving more than 4-6".  The last 2 years, you could divide the totals by 4 and still wouldn't be close to the verified amounts.  I'm pulling for an ice storm this year.  Last year's 2 hours of freezing rain wet my appetite for one.

• 3 weeks later...

To put fertilizer on the grass today or not....I'm scared if I do it won't rain and I'll be stuck outside watering in by hand until midnight.  On the other hand, if I wait too long it will be too late in the season to put out the fertilzer and it will turn into one big blob of mess.  I guess I'll have to wait and see what the radar looks like in a bit and pray it doesn't pull a cruel joke on me. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have any fall gardening things going on? Landscaping projects , fall veggie gardens, lawn reseeding? What y'all got going on? Lowes just got its first shipment of pansies yesterday, fall is right around the corner! They have mums 5 for 5$ in the pint size, I believe and 4 bags of mulch for 10$ this weekend, if you need any of that kind of stuff!

Anybody have any fall gardening things going on? Landscaping projects , fall veggie gardens, lawn reseeding? What y'all got going on? Lowes just got its first shipment of pansies yesterday, fall is right around the corner! They have mums 5 for 5$ in the pint size, I believe and 4 bags of mulch for 10$ this weekend, if you need any of that kind of stuff!

Putting a Vintage Air AC system in the Datsun 510

• 2 weeks later...

When should I put down pre emergent in fall? Charlotte area bermuda lawn. Any suggestions on what kind?

I think early Oct is a good time. Can't think of a brand right off hand! Just make sure it's for use on Bermuda! Read instructions very carefully! Can find better or stronger ones at a feed and seed store/ tractor supply kind of place

• 2 weeks later...

Archived