• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early ice (mainly NW) to rain (heavy east) obs, Sunday 1/18/2015

famartin

I'm up to 33.0 now.  I haven't ventured outside though, nor will I.  (It's my only day of the week off so I just stay home and relax) 

It's a shame with all of our social media and ways to see weather conditions, heck most cars have thermometers in them, that people STILL have no clue about how weather works.........then innocent people get hurt or killed by these morons.  90% of winter driving "skill" is simply knowing when to drive slower!!! 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Schuylkill Expressway was poorly designed from inception.  Its amazing its still mostly 2 lanes each way still.  That road in NJ would be 3-4 lanes each way.  Ever notice most roads get narrower as they enter PA from NJ?

no room for more lanes unless you elevated above the existing roadway, I agree it was outdated when it was opened.

no room for more lanes unless you elevated above the existing roadway, I agree it was outdated when it was opened.

There is room but you'd have to do a lot of digging and filling and demolition.  It was a bad idea to wedge the road along the river like that.

the reason why some events unexpectedly outperform over others (freezing rain / bad road conditions) , can be due to the amount of salt left over from the storm prior.   (very small amounts / not even visible)   

Since there was nothing for awhile (winter storm wise)  in NJ...the roads were primed for freezing. 

I've seen less traffic issues with a freezing rain event ....with a storm that had temps in the teens / lower 20's....then compared to today.

Selfish question but I'm up at Jack Frost snowboarding and want to know if we might see snow this evening? Roads were bad here early but above freezing now. Plan on riding at big Boulder after dinner break. Would be cool to see snow falling while on slopes.

Maybe a few snow showers.  Wouldn't bank on significant accumulation, though.

Holy crap! It is a **** show here n the roads right now. Went to dinner in Philly and just got back 20 mins ago. Every road here is covered in black ice. Not just spotty, I am talking all roads covered. Several accidents in 413 and my car was skidding non stop.

Heavy rain must have washed away ALL salt and now the temps have dropped.

Archived