• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer time and the livin's easy

SACRUS

Where are all the Long Island posters hiding. Suddenly Long Island is part of the concrete jungle also? What about Monmouth County posters? Yeah, Monmouth County is really comparable to Newark....or not.

This is the misconception by people from NY that assume NJ consists of the five miles of the Turnpike that runs from Newark to NYC.

Yeah, uhh, you can try that broad brush somewhere else, im intimately familiar with the geography and demographics of nj. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are discussing newark, not nyc. And uhh? You know new jersey is the most densely populated state, right?

Well aware. But that's because our whole state is well populated and we're a small state.

NJ has the luxury of being sandwiched between Philly and NYC, two of the largest cities in the country if not the world. What other state has that?

Yeah, uhh, you can try that broad brush somewhere else, im intimately familiar with the geography and demographics of nj. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

If you think that Newark is a great representation of the geography of the state of NJ then you don't know NJ.

It's like saying that Manhattan is a great representation of the State of NY because most people in the state live there. Meanwhile most of NY state is vast rural country with low population density.

Well aware. But that's because our whole state is well populated and we're a small state.

NJ has the luxury of being sandwiched between Philly and NYC, two of the largest cities in the country if not the world. What other state has that?

What does any of this have to do with you disagreeing that more people living in this subforum experience newark type conditions than overgrown vegetation readings?

If you think that Newark is a great representation of the geography of the state of NJ then you don't know NJ.

Can you maybe try to make some sense? How does a city represent "geography"?

This is proof you dont understand the argument.

Can you maybe try to make some sense? How does a city represent "geography"?

This is proof you dont understand the argument.

You claim that most people here live in a concrete jungle as opposed to areas where vegetation grows. That's simply false. Just look around. We have posters from all over the area. Some posters living 50+ miles from the city. That doesn't mean that we're not all part of the same Tri-State area.

Maybe that's the problem. People want to call this place the NYC metro area when in fact calling it the Tri-State area is a more representative term.

You claim that most people here live in a concrete jungle as opposed to areas where vegetation grows. That's simply false. Just look around. We have posters from all over the area. Some posters living 50+ miles from the city. That doesn't mean that we're not all part of the same Tri-State area.

Maybe that's the problem. People want to call this place the NYC metro area when in fact calling it the Tri-State area is a more representative term.

We are discussing the ENTIRE population of the metro area, not a few random posters on a website. Omg. How can you not understand this?

What does the term metro area mean to you?

And besides most people outside of this website don't care about the weather.

You are more than welcome to move the goalposts and discuss whether people outside of this website care about the weather. But that wasnt the point you disagreed with, nor was it anyones point in here. Try again.

I see your point yanksfan, this forecast was specific to NYC/NJ metro.  The pet peeve is the park has consistently been between 1 and 3 lower than EWR/LGA on some of the hottest days,  In the end it only matters from perception as the park is used as the benchmark in media and historical perspective.  For example, take the summer of 2006 which if you glanced at just the park (KNYC)  you see 9 90 degree days.  If that site was to be used as a reference of the entire NYC/NJ area youd think a medicore summer.  When in fact LGA, EWR, much of the other metro stations had between 20 and 25 90 degree days.  same in 2010 50+ vs 38. 

I see your point yanksfan, this forecast was specific to NYC/NJ metro.  The pet peeve is the park has consistently been between 1 and 3 lower than EWR/LGA on some of the hottest days,  In the end it only matters from perception as the park is used as the benchmark in media and historical perspective.  For example, take the summer of 2006 which if you glanced at just the park (KNYC)  you see 9 90 degree days.  It that was to be used as a reference of the entire NYC/NJ area youd think a medicore summer.  When in fact LGA, EWR, much of the other metro stations had between 20 and 25 90 degree days.  same in 2010 50+ vs 38. 

This is the way I look at it.

I'm driving my car along Rt. 287 and suddenly the temperature reads 107 because the pavement has been baking all day under full sun in July.

I then get off the exit into a residential neighborhood with trees and grass and the temperature drops down to 92.

So according to BxEngine's logic the 107 degree reading was more representative because the reading occurred on a paved surface and according to him more people live in areas that are paved over.

This is the way I look at it.

I'm driving my car along Rt. 287 and suddenly the temperature reads 107 because the pavement has been baking all day under full sun in July.

I then get off the exit into a residential neighborhood with trees and grass and the temperature drops down to 92.

So according to BxEngine's logic the 107 degree reading was more representative because the reading occurred on a paved surface and according to him more people live in areas that are paved over.

LOL

What does the term metro area mean to you?

And besides most people outside of this website don't care about the weather.

You live in an area outside the concrete jungle, so you have to understand that places like EWR and LGA 

do represent what most of the population experiences when it comes to hot days in the city. I highlighted your

area that has more in common with rural NJ and NY than EWR and LGA. 

So if I'm standing on 110th street in Harlem with a thermometer and my temperature reading is 100 degrees and then I move a few blocks to Central Park west and the temperature drops to 95 the 100 is more accurate right?

Once again, you dont understand the argument. You disagreed with bluewaves post that more people experience newarks readings than central parks, because "rural"! And "we dont live in cities!"....its not about accuracy, both the ewr and central park readings are (most likely) accurate for their sitings. You decided to go the "we dont all live near cities" route because a few of you who post here live further away. Its a bit scary why you dont understand how that argument doesnt make sense in the context of your initial disagreement with bluewave.

You live in an area outside the concrete jungle, so you have to understand that places like EWR and LGA 

do represent what most people experience when it comes to hot days in the city. I highlighted your location

that has more in common with rural NJ and NY than EWR and LGA. 

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2014-05-12 at 1.36.06 PM.png

Shouldn't it have to do with proximity to the city though?

Certainly Middlesex and Monmouth Counties are very close to NYC yet aren't part of the "Concrete Jungle" and both of those counties are well populated.

A case can even be made for Westchester County. Once you get north of Yonkers it's a whole different ballgame. Heck even most of Yonkers has growth and vegetation. Even the northern Bronx has vegetation.

Shouldn't it have to do with proximity to the city though?

Certainly Middlesex and Monmouth Counties are very close to NYC yet aren't part of the "Concrete Jungle" and both of those counties are well populated.

A case can even be made for Westchester County. Once you get north of Yonkers it's a whole different ballgame. Heck even most of Yonkers has growth and vegetation. Even the northern Bronx has vegetation.

Is northern westchester more populated than yonkers new rochelle and mt vernon?

Once again, you dont understand the argument. You disagreed with bluewaves post that more people experience newarks readings than central parks, because "rural"! And "we dont live in cities!"....its not about accuracy, both the ewr and central park readings are (most likely) accurate for their sitings. You decided to go the "we dont all live near cities" route because a few of you who post here live further away. Its a bit scary why you dont understand how that argument doesnt make sense in the context of your initial disagreement with bluewave.

You of all people having an address in Nyack should understand that while more people may live in NYC, places outside of the city are heavily populated as well, and not just in the areas that are part of the concrete jungle.

You of all people having an address in Nyack should understand that while more people may live in NYC, places outside of the city are heavily populated as well, and not just in the areas that are part of the concrete jungle.

I understand that isnt whats being discussed. Why cant you?

So the localized climate of those 3 areas is a good representation of Westchester County as a whole?

WE ARENT DISCUSSING THAT. We are discussing what MOST people in a given area experience. So yea, while discussing the weather in westchester, MORE PEOPLE EXPERIENCE WHAT THOSE 3 CITIES EXPERIENCE.

Does that help?

I understand that isnt whats being discussed. Why cant you?

When discussing climate in an area or temperature correlations you can't just cherry pick the areas you want. If you want to discuss these things you need to compare all areas of the NYC metro, both heavily urbanized and those areas more rural. Just because 10 people live in city A and 2 people each live in city's B, C, D, E and F doesn't mean that more people live in one area than the other. City A is just more densely populated. Yet, all 6 cities are part of the same greater area.

When discussing climate in an area or temperature correlations you can't just cherry pick the areas you want. If you want to discuss these things you need to compare all areas of the NYC metro, both heavily urbanized and those areas more rural. Just because 10 people live in city A and 2 people each live in city's B, C, D, E and F doesn't mean that more people live in one area than the other. City A is just more densely populated.

Dude...  Of the 20mm people that live in the NYC metro, MOST OF THEM live in an area characterized by the readings from EWR or LGA.  That is the damn point, and if you can't get that, well, there isn't much else we can do.

Archived