• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

For ground level flowers, snow may insulate, but that probably won't help trees, which will likely not be encased more than half (if that much).  Of course, tree flowers tend to be more tender than ground level flowers anyway.

Yeah, I know, I was just having a snow weenie moment. Just saying that if it's going to be cold enough to cause damage to plants, etc., might as well have some snow to go with it.

Anything we can do at this point to keep the temperature up a few degrees the next couple of nights? Got some warmth built up in the top layer of soil now available.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I meant to say no accumulation as the snow laid to the west of me and the east yet precipitation shield broke up in between oh well

It also apparently laid to the north and south of here, but like you said, oh well, I'd rather miss out in April if it has to happen. Did see it snow though which I'm happy about otherwise I would have come in here this morning and feel like I missed out.

29.6 was our overnight low here.  So it goes in the books as 30.

It had BETTER be our last sub-30 low before November!!!!

BTW...anybody looking at the BAROMETER ?  It's 30.68 here.....up near southeastern Maine it's 30.85!

That is one serious anti-cyclone....

post-39-0-85066200-1397747421_thumb.gif

29.6 was our overnight low here.  So it goes in the books as 30.

It had BETTER be our last sub-30 low before November!!!!

BTW...anybody looking at the BAROMETER ?  It's 30.68 here.....up near southeastern Maine it's 30.85!

That is one serious anti-cyclone....

Ray, I was astounded by that pressure reading, until I saw this....

The highest barometric pressure ever recorded on Earth was 32.01 inches, measured in Agata, U.S.S.R., on December 31, 1968. Agata is located in northern Siberia.

I know there are some documented negative effects of low barometric pressure (increased pain/swelling)....I wonder what the negative physical effects of very high barometric pressure would be.

Could this year's persistent polar vortex (ie great winter totals in the east) be connected to noctilucent clouds in Antarctica?

That was interesting (not just because it involved my screen name!)....I had a hard enough time understanding trophospheric teleconnections and then we had stratospheric teleconnections, like stratospheric warming/cooling and it's effect on our weather.  Now we are seeing these teleconnections, at least statistically, out in the mesosphere.   If they can reliably observe and detect these changes, I wonder how positive an effect it would have on forecasting...and I'm still not sure whether they covered the sequence of these teleconnections.   Was it something going on in the mesosphere/thermosphere or even above, that triggered the displacement of the polar vortex...or vice-versa?

If anyone was looking for for Mt Holly's PNS reports Public Information Statement, storm totals, the link on the new website is buried inside the Emergency Managers tab.

It is also found within the "Text Products" icon below the map.

Archived