• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

Funny you keep calling it "chinatingles" since Okinawa is Japanese. :P

lol, yeah I read thru because of that. I was wondering how he was planning on getting a quick visa to go to China. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you keep calling it "chinatingles" since Okinawa is Japanese. :P

The term is derived from "chinacane", which is the official term used in this forum to denote a tropical cyclone in the WPAC with winds of 64 kt. The national territory being affected is beside the point. (China is actually affected much less frequently than Japan, the Philippines, and Taiwan.)

Way to go Josh, I hope it delivers big time! The timing is pretty good as it seems like the long trackers always undergo an ERC and don't usually recover, location is still an issue but it's a long flight so plenty of time to pray.

Ha ha ha!   :D

Thanks for the encouragement.  It's a long shot-- a lot can go wrong-- but I'd rather go for it than sit at home feeling bitter.  OKA is a starting point-- a lot of those tiny Ryukyu islands have airports, so I'm hoping I'll have the time to hopscotch as needed.  I've been coordinating with James (Typhoon Hunter), who's the undisputed dude on this turf and knows it well.

Haven't seen such out of control model runs for a long time. It's like they all went out drinking last night, were given 15 shots of tequila, blindfolded and told to walk home dragging a paint brush - that about sums up consensus right now. W Pacific is notorious for west shifting of tracks due to strength of ridge being underestimated but if Fitow ends up hitting Taiwan like GFS and a few others are showing that would be one of the craziest west shifts I've seen since typhoon Fengshen, which was forecast to recurve east of the Philippines by about 500 miles, ended up ploughing right through the Visayas!

Haven't seen such out of control model runs for a long time. It's like they all went out drinking last night, were given 15 shots of tequila, blindfolded and told to walk home dragging a paint brush - that about sums up consensus right now. W Pacific is notorious for west shifting of tracks due to strength of ridge being underestimated but if Fitow ends up hitting Taiwan like GFS and a few others are showing that would be one of the craziest west shifts I've seen since typhoon Fengshen, which was forecast to recurve east of the Philippines by about 500 miles, ended up ploughing right through the Visayas!

Even with a worst-case-scenario GFS coup, Josh could still jump to the southernmost Ryukyu Islands and be solidly in the core (even the eye?). No need to jump to another country! :P

I am interested to see what Fitow might do the next few days. It has a relatively large cirrus cloud shield which loosely implies it has a large wind radius. Ordinarily in a moist environment this would precondition the storm to be larger than normal and cause it to struggle to develop a tightly wound inner core. However, Fitow is also moving into a region which is anomalously dry which should limit the vorticity production from outer rainbands. As long as the vertical wind shear remains low, this dry air should not penetrate the inner core, but could aid in preserving the vorticity gradient, allowing a better chance for a robust single inner wind core to be achieved. 

Basically the synoptic pattern is favorable for the system to transition from a large broad wind core to a smaller and more organized wind core. We'll see if that actually transpires. 

Looks like that sneaky dry air did manage to wrap all the way into the core after all.  Not surprisingly, AMSU retrievals now suggesting a very large / broad RMW.  Although I wouldn't trust the actual RMW from AMSU (almost 200 km verbatim), structurally it appears to be a very broad core.  (Not bashing your forecast btw, just showing how difficult it is to predict the size and structure of a TC core). 

post-378-0-10043500-1380724711_thumb.gif

Looks like that sneaky dry air did manage to wrap all the way into the core after all.  Not surprisingly, AMSU retrievals now suggesting a very large / broad RMW.  Although I wouldn't trust the actual RMW from AMSU (almost 200 km verbatim), structurally it appears to be a very broad core.  (Not bashing your forecast btw, just showing how difficult it is to predict the size and structure of a TC core). 

attachicon.gif2013WP22_16KMTPWP_201310021054.GIF

Yep It looks like I'm going to bust pretty bad Will ;). It never developed a very well organized cirrus canopy the last 24-36 hours which has let it be susceptible to dry air intrusion. I'm not as optimistic as a few days ago. Dry air can be very tricky as you mention, especially when you deal with increasingly large systems. Large systems interact with a larger part of the environment, and when calculating vertical wind shear you need a larger radial bin to make the azimuthal vertical wind shear calculation. Just looking at the 250 hPa winds below, you can see northerly flow helping to advect lower PW air into the core of the system. This is not a favorable pattern for a large system to continue to organize, and until this northerly flow is diverted away from a powerful convective burst that reestablishes the upper level anticyclone over the TC, the storm may struggle. 

Good thing Josh is already flying (without internet?) he would be throwing a fit with all these track and intensity forecast challenges.

30rs2ew.gif

Good luck Josh!

12z GFS is interesting...it builds a strong ridge north of Fitow as it approaches Okinawa...looks like a Naha hit, or at least an eyewall scrape...the interesting part is that that same location is hit by 2 more consecutive cyclones, with a 3rd looking in that same direction...that's additional to Fitow.

Ok EPac and NAtl, Josh is gone...you know what to do now

18z GFS is stronger with the ridging...goes after Miyakojima island. A good consensus would be a track between Okinawa and the Miyako islands....hopefully it either goes a bit left or right of that track.

BTW, 18z GFS has a stronger ridge all around for the next 2 cyclones as well...next one threatens the Miyako islands as well, and the 3rd one is way south towards S Taiwan.

Josh definitely made the right choice to chase in the WPAC the next couple of weeks. Even if Fitow doesn't deliver, two more TCs behind (GFS and ECMWF both support) might provide an opportunity for redemption (FWIW, I think the storm behind Fitow might be quite a bit more impressive than the global models currently indicate)

It could be a similar situation as to a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking Man-yi would be the main course but it was only the canapés as Usagi went on to steal the show. It's always nice to have other storms in the forecast in case things don't pan out with Fitow. The broad nature of the system helps when island chasing, this might be similar to Muifa which I chased in Okinawa in 2011. On my way to airport right now, arrive in Okinawa around 4pm local time!

Josh definitely made the right choice to chase in the WPAC the next couple of weeks. Even if Fitow doesn't deliver, two more TCs behind (GFS and ECMWF both support) might provide an opportunity for redemption (FWIW, I think the storm behind Fitow might be quite a bit more impressive than the global models currently indicate)

Thanks, Phil!  It does seem like the trip is well-timed.  Hopefully we get a direct hit from one of these three modeled cyclones.

• 4 months later...

Archived