Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given recent model guidance I think this could peak considerably higher than 85kts, we shall see. GFS currently the most easterly outlier with a hit on Japan west of Tokyo, UKMET and BoM models take it into Taiwan. Looking more and more likely it could hit land somewhere between Tokyo and Taiwan. A 1 "week late" version of Jelawat from last year would be fun!

If you can cross the Dateline for business, why can't you cross the Dateline for your Chase Jones.

I know, islands, not familiar with the territory, but maybe the Typhoon Hunter would agree to be the pilot that would put you at the controls on final approach.

Lolz. James doesn't need to agree to anything. Unfamiliarity has never stopped me. I've conquered Mexican jungles on my own, and I've been toying with the idea of Madagascar and Oz in the off-season. So I'll be just fine in Japan-- with or without a partner. :D

This having been said, James knows the turf very well-- he's worked those islands a gazillion times. He's been generous with logistical tips, and we've been having discussions-- at the very least to share a hot meal afterward.

It's obvious North America is solid fail this year, and drastic measures are needed Re: my chase policy.

Newest JTWC package has trended W and stronger-- and the discussion says the forecast is actually E of the consensus, so it seems like the crappy-NE-recurve scenario is looking less likely. Don't like the weakening trend toward the end, but the rest looks hawt.

Lookin' more tingly with each forecast. :pepsi:

post-19-0-79211300-1380581557_thumb.gif

That seems to be a default operation of JTWC of weakening at storms at that latitude, and most of the time they are but not necessarily so drastically. SSTs are hawt and enough OHC near Okinawa to support a red meat cyclone, just need the atmosphere to cooperate :D

Interesting storm to look at is TY Chaba from 2010, it peaked near Okinawa on 28th October as a really meaty typhoon!

That seems to be a default operation of JTWC of weakening at storms at that latitude, and most of the time they are but not necessarily so drastically. SSTs are hawt and enough OHC near Okinawa to support a red meat cyclone, just need the atmosphere to cooperate :D

Interesting storm to look at is TY Chaba from 2010, it peaked near Okinawa on 28th October as a really meaty typhoon!

OK cool. This is good to hear. I checked Chaba, as per your suggestion-- and, yeah, that one was awesome.

One nice thing about these big WPAC cyclones is that their very size makes them less susceptible to sudden crap-outs like we see in the NATL. For example, I went down to the Yucatan to chase Rina 2011.  It was a major when I left L.A., but it totally unraveled and came ashore as a TS. It was pretty painful.

In this case there might be some upper jet support to delay weakening in the higher latitudes. Additionally, from my experience NW moving storms tend to unravel slower than NE moving storms (i.e. ones usually well into recurvature). 

I am interested to see what Fitow might do the next few days. It has a relatively large cirrus cloud shield which loosely implies it has a large wind radius. Ordinarily in a moist environment this would precondition the storm to be larger than normal and cause it to struggle to develop a tightly wound inner core. However, Fitow is also moving into a region which is anomalously dry which should limit the vorticity production from outer rainbands. As long as the vertical wind shear remains low, this dry air should not penetrate the inner core, but could aid in preserving the vorticity gradient, allowing a better chance for a robust single inner wind core to be achieved. 

Basically the synoptic pattern is favorable for the system to transition from a large broad wind core to a smaller and more organized wind core. We'll see if that actually transpires. 

Okinawa would be cool.  I was on a Flying Tigers 747 MAC charter in 1985 while they let a bunch of Marines off, and I saw a genuine SR-71 Blackbird.

I feel a connection.

I 'like' the Kadena AFB Facebook, so I always know the TCCOR.  Currently TCCOR 4, the default condition June 1st to November 30th.

Hoping for just the barest nudge to the West...

post-138-0-93075100-1380637457_thumb.gif

Archived