• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Why do radars go crazy like this?

It's weird but what that actually looks like is when you look at a star through an out of focus reflector telescope. It's purposely done for the purposes of collimation (to align the primary and secondary mirrors)-- and when you see those symmetrical concentric rings, it means the telescope is collimated properly. I dont know what it would mean in the case of radar though.

There is obviously something wrong with the algorithm used to plot the graphics.

That is almost definitely not a plotting algorithm error. This is probably a radar hardware or less likely but possibly a signal processing error. Do we know if this persisted in the next scan?

It looks like returned power that has only been intermittently corrected for range (which it needs to be to get reflectivity).

That's possible. And whether it's due to software or hardware is not clear. Given that it was clearly a sudden failure that happened part way through a scan, I'd lean toward hardware, unless of course the next scans were fine.

http://img51.imagesh...us/i/1288h.jpg/

Always curious as to why this sometimes happens.

Thanks.

The few times I've seen this the radar in question went down within the hour or two after due to hardware problems. If it had all been solid instead of those bands I would have been tempted to say "test mode" which can cause issues as well if the radar is not taken down before testing begins.

You are a fantastic severe wx poster, but I would be surprised if that was true, unless it was an error related to common NTP software or something similar.

ok i remember more now..it was on a national radar map and several stations had that bulls eye shape around the site, i didn't go to each radar site.

Archived