Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday the 21th storm

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the radar and you can see that there has been a secondary qpf max of sorts from SSW to NNE laying just west/north of the CD. Meanwhile very little has fallen here since it turned to sleet at 9:00 AM. Go figure.... The models didn't indicate this.

-PL and 22F now...

As much as sleet keeps trying to overwhelm here, the snow keeps fighting back. Have gone from total SN to total PL and every ratio in between in the past 90 min. Closing in on :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: ...................back down to Saratoga- Albany soon to enjoy the freezing rain fest

in such tight quarters over a populated area, the SREFs have done magnificaently up here

unfortunately cannot post the radar pic for some reason...

but snow right along the northshore of the ottawa river with snow being reported in gatineau airport on the quebec side of ottawa....

but no snow just south of the river in ottawa.....exactly as depicted by the SREF 2.5 days ago (and remained consistent each run).... well done by them.

that should sink southeast in the next little bit

meanwhile here in MTL. temp has rocketed up from -13C a few hours ago to 0C now, wow!

Look at the radar and you can see that there has been a secondary qpf max of sorts from SSW to NNE laying just west/north of the CD. Meanwhile very little has fallen here since it turned to sleet at 9:00 AM. Go figure.... The models didn't indicate this.

-PL and 22F now...

As of 5pm I wiped the board. 6.5" (1/4 of that IP)

Light to mod sleet again but as the precip intensity is picking up flakes mixing in.

in such tight quarters over a populated area, the SREFs have done magnificaently up here

but snow right along the northshore of the ottawa river with snow being reported in gatineau airport on the quebec side of ottawa....

but no snow just south of the river in ottawa.....exactly as depicted by the SREF 2.5 days ago (and remained consistent each run).... well done by them.

meanwhile here in MTL. temp has rocketed up from -13C a few hours ago to 0C now, wow!

The Ottawa valley is working its magic yet again. Still -7C here while Montreal is up to 0C Is currently snowing out in the west end. Fingers crossed about Friday. You never know...

SREFS QP blew cheese on today's storm.. The PMSL (NAM) for that matter very good past 2 weeks here. EC QP probably the best on today's event.

NAM QP is useless. (Its still WRF-less IMO)

SREFS QP blew cheese on today's storm.. The PMSL (NAM) for that matter very good past 2 weeks here. EC QP probably the best on today's event.

NAM QP is useless. (Its still WRF-less IMO)

well there wasnt much precip to follow up here :lol: .....but SREF did very well up here depicting the areas that would recieve snow, and the areas that would see nothing....as well as snow hanging to the west of ottawa all day long.

The Ottawa valley is working its magic yet again. Still -7C here while Montreal is up to 0C Is currently snowing out in the west end. Fingers crossed about Friday. You never know...

yes, ottawa magic for sure, looks like all areas are rising except ottawa lol

looks to be a quick accumlation incoming.....some pretty impressive echoes to the west of town....wonder if there is any warm layer contamination effecting snowgrowth, let us know.

not sure if you saw my earlier post on todays and fridays event.....not feeling friday very much unless we see some pretty major changes

ahh well...

I'm increasingly losing hope RE: the Friday event for us from ALB north and west. It just looks like another SNE special and I'm sure we'll get tantalizingly close to the decent banding as the low starts to bomb from NJ to CC, but I'm not holding my breath here for anything major. 2-5 inch range sure..... But even if we pull 6" it leaves a bad taste seeing someone in CT or MA over a foot yet again......

Unless something changes...it just looks like the phasing starts too late....

1 more burst between now and 7pm then fine. I niled snow up here..PHAIL down south.

I'm increasingly losing hope RE: the Friday event for us from ALB north and west. It just looks like another SNE special and I'm sure we'll get tantalizingly close to the decent banding as the low starts to bomb from NJ to CC, but I'm not holding my breath here for anything major. 2-5 inch range sure..... But even if we pull 6" it leaves a bad taste seeing someone in CT or MA over a foot yet again......

Unless something changes...it just looks like the phasing starts too late....

Rick, The Friday event will hinge upon where the low forms and where the bombing occurs. Models seem clustered on LP development VA Capes-Delmrva. The NAM which has had a very good track record on LP movement/development (IMO) the past 2 weeks is bombs away soonest. It has my attention for now

I noticed the NWS ALB did an about-face on the Friday potential in the last 24 hours - last night they stated they didn't expect much of anything, now this:

"LATE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY THERE IS LOOSE MODEL CONSENSUS FORAT LEAST A LIGHT SNOWFALL /AND POSSIBLY MODERATE TO HEAVY/ TODEVELOP AS A SHARP 500 HPA TROF TRACKS EASTWARD ACROSS THE GREATLAKES AND OHIO VALLEY...AND STARTS TO BECOME NEGATIVELY TILTED AS ITREACHES THE NORTHEAST FRIDAY MORNING. THE MID/UPPER LEVEL TROF WILLSPAWN A SURFACE LOW NEAR THE DELMARVA...BUT THE MAIN QUESTION IS HOWDEEP WILL THE LOW GET AND HOW CLOSE TO THE COAST WILL THE LOWDEEPEN? AS OF NOW...THERE IS CONSIDERABLE MODEL SPREAD IN THE TOTALQPF BASED ON THE EITHER MORE OR LESS AMPLIFIED SOLUTIONS. THE NAM ISTHE MOST AGGRESSIVE IN DEEPENING THE LOW JUST EAST OF NEW JERSEY ANDTRACKING IT VERY CLOSE TO THE COAST. THIS WOULD RESULT IN A MODERATETO HEAVY SNOWFALL FOR MUCH OF THE AREA ESPECIALLY FROM ALBANY SOUTH.HOWEVER...THERE IS LITTLE SUPPORT FROM OTHER MODELS AT THISTIME...AS THE OPERATIONAL GFS/ECMWF CONTINUE TO SHOW LIGHT SNOW ONFRIDAY AS THE UPPER TROF IS LESS AMPLIFIED AND THE LOW DEEPENS TOOFAR TO THE EAST FOR ANY SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO AFFECT OUR AREA.ENSEMBLES/PLUME DIAGRAMS SHOW CONSIDERABLE SPREAD WITH CLUSTERING OFLOW AND HIGH QPF AMOUNTS...ESPECIALLY THE SREFS. SO AT THIS TIMEWILL MENTION LIKELY POPS AND CALL FOR LIGHT TO PERHAPS MODERATESNOWFALL SOUTHEAST OF ALBANY...BUT WITH LOW CONFIDENCE IN ANY ONESOLUTION. WILL MENTION THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL INTHE HWO. TEMP PROFILES LOOK TO BE COLD ENOUGH FOR ALL SNOW...WITHRATIOS LIKELY EXCEEDING CLIMATOLOGICAL VALUES.

"

Of course remember their zones go all the way down to Litchfield County etc... So they should be paying attention because numerous moels now get a good snowstorm into their southeast zones. But getting it further north and west has been a very hard task this season. Gotta hope for the best. :)

I noticed the NWS ALB did an about-face on the Friday potential in the last 24 hours - last night they stated they didn't expect much of anything, now this:

"LATE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY THERE IS LOOSE MODEL CONSENSUS FORAT LEAST A LIGHT SNOWFALL /AND POSSIBLY MODERATE TO HEAVY/ TODEVELOP AS A SHARP 500 HPA TROF TRACKS EASTWARD ACROSS THE GREATLAKES AND OHIO VALLEY...AND STARTS TO BECOME NEGATIVELY TILTED AS ITREACHES THE NORTHEAST FRIDAY MORNING. THE MID/UPPER LEVEL TROF WILLSPAWN A SURFACE LOW NEAR THE DELMARVA...BUT THE MAIN QUESTION IS HOWDEEP WILL THE LOW GET AND HOW CLOSE TO THE COAST WILL THE LOWDEEPEN? AS OF NOW...THERE IS CONSIDERABLE MODEL SPREAD IN THE TOTALQPF BASED ON THE EITHER MORE OR LESS AMPLIFIED SOLUTIONS. THE NAM ISTHE MOST AGGRESSIVE IN DEEPENING THE LOW JUST EAST OF NEW JERSEY ANDTRACKING IT VERY CLOSE TO THE COAST. THIS WOULD RESULT IN A MODERATETO HEAVY SNOWFALL FOR MUCH OF THE AREA ESPECIALLY FROM ALBANY SOUTH.HOWEVER...THERE IS LITTLE SUPPORT FROM OTHER MODELS AT THISTIME...AS THE OPERATIONAL GFS/ECMWF CONTINUE TO SHOW LIGHT SNOW ONFRIDAY AS THE UPPER TROF IS LESS AMPLIFIED AND THE LOW DEEPENS TOOFAR TO THE EAST FOR ANY SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO AFFECT OUR AREA.ENSEMBLES/PLUME DIAGRAMS SHOW CONSIDERABLE SPREAD WITH CLUSTERING OFLOW AND HIGH QPF AMOUNTS...ESPECIALLY THE SREFS. SO AT THIS TIMEWILL MENTION LIKELY POPS AND CALL FOR LIGHT TO PERHAPS MODERATESNOWFALL SOUTHEAST OF ALBANY...BUT WITH LOW CONFIDENCE IN ANY ONESOLUTION. WILL MENTION THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL INTHE HWO. TEMP PROFILES LOOK TO BE COLD ENOUGH FOR ALL SNOW...WITHRATIOS LIKELY EXCEEDING CLIMATOLOGICAL VALUES.

"

I'm driving down to New York City on Friday to move my son from a College Dorm in Brooklyn to one in Westchester. :grad: Sounds like I may want to bring my snowshoes?? :sled:

Ah, what the heck, how bad could traffic be in New York City on a Friday in a snowstorm??? :facepalm:

Of course remember their zones go all the way down to Litchfield County etc... So they should be paying attention because numerous moels now get a good snowstorm into their southeast zones. But getting it further north and west has been a very hard task this season. Gotta hope for the best. :)

"how hard can it be to get the storm NW" whistle.gif

I'm not sure whether to keep in mind that most storms have "targeted" downstate / SNE, or that the past few storms have trended NW as we got closer to reality.

Of course this time around there is little model agreement, which makes it more "fun" for us to watch and learn... but also more stressful on our local Mets yikes.png

NWS ALB does tend to concentrate on where most of the population is, for better or worse. Unfortunately for folks outside that area they are less specific, and IMhO more of the folks in many of those areas rely on the weather (and forecasts) for their livelyhoods, be it plowing, snowmobiling, skiing, or in the summer warmer types of recreation.

Same thing is true for most of the TV and radio stations... which is why this board is such a phenomenal resource:) Thankfully some local mets (WX4Cast ) do tend to realize there are actually people living outside of Albany thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I can't really fault folks for concentrating on where more people live, though. NYS is a big state, and each "territory", be it NWS or a commercial station, is big with diverse geography (and weather patterns...).

"how hard can it be to get the storm NW" whistle.gif

I'm not sure whether to keep in mind that most storms have "targeted" downstate / SNE, or that the past few storms have trended NW as we got closer to reality.

Of course this time around there is little model agreement, which makes it more "fun" for us to watch and learn... but also more stressful on our local Mets yikes.png

NWS ALB does tend to concentrate on where most of the population is, for better or worse. Unfortunately for folks outside that area they are less specific, and IMhO more of the folks in many of those areas rely on the weather (and forecasts) for their livelyhoods, be it plowing, snowmobiling, skiing, or in the summer warmer types of recreation.

Same thing is true for most of the TV and radio stations... which is why this board is such a phenomenal resource:) Thankfully some local mets (WX4Cast ) do tend to realize there are actually people living outside of Albany thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I can't really fault folks for concentrating on where more people live, though. NYS is a big state, and each "territory", be it NWS or a commercial station, is big with diverse geography (and weather patterns...).

First thank you.

Second, I do not know if this is true as far KALY is concerned, that is concentrating on "where most of the population is". I know many of the folks there and they take pride in their forecasts as do most other mets, too. TV stations are perhaps more for "where most of the population is", that is, viewers, key demo's, etc. TV stations in Albany will tend to target the above thus Albany, Saratoga counties and th major cities there are often targeted.

I try to do this but also pay attention to the "outlying" areas, too.

You are welcome!

Secondly, noted - and I do think KALY does an EXCELLENT job. A number of the folks there do an excellent job of writing forecast discussions that are informative, interesting to read, and even humorous at times thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Perhaps it's just my impression that often in the forecast discussion the most northerly described area is the "lake george saratoga region", and the remainder of Warren County (to the N and W) can have very different weather. It doesn't really belong with the "Southwest Adirondacks" which have can have very different weather due to LES.

You are welcome!

Secondly, noted - and I do think KALY does an EXCELLENT job. A number of the folks there do an excellent job of writing forecast discussions that are informative, interesting to read, and even humorous at times thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Perhaps it's just my impression that often in the forecast discussion the most northerly described area is the "lake george saratoga region", and the remainder of Warren County (to the N and W) can have very different weather. It doesn't really belong with the "Southwest Adirondacks" which have can have very different weather due to LES.

"Southwest Adirondacks" The "obscure" Northwest "area". ;-)

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

703 PM EST TUE JAN 18 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE

PAST 12 HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR

REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY

DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS

AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO

AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/ALBANY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MASSACHUSETTS

...BERKSHIRE COUNTY...

FLORIDA 6.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

ADAMS 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

HINSDALE 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

WINDSOR 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

BECKET 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

LANESBOROUGH 3.0 428 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

NEW YORK

...ALBANY COUNTY...

BOGHT CORNERS 4.0 510 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE

COLONIE 3.0 501 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

DELMAR 3.0 540 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

LATHAM 3.0 534 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

COHOES 3.0 200 PM 1/18 TRAINED SPOTTER

ALTAMONT 3.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

1 ENE MCKOWNVILLE 2.5 500 PM 1/18 NWS OFFICE

MEDUSA 2.5 552 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

EAST BERNE 2.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

FEURA BUSH 1.0 534 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...COLUMBIA COUNTY...

LIVINGSTON 3.0 543 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

TAGHKANIC 2.0 541 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

CHATHAM CENTER 2.0 504 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

NORTH CHATHAM 2.0 538 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

ANCRAMDALE 1.5 538 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...FULTON COUNTY...

CAROGA LAKE 6.5 615 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

JOHNSTOWN 5.0 448 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

BLEECKER 5.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

GLOVERSVILLE 5.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

STRATFORD 5.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

...GREENE COUNTY...

HUNTER 5.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

DURHAM 4.0 413 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

WINDHAM 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

KISKATOM 3.0 558 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...HAMILTON COUNTY...

WELLS 9.0 604 PM 1/18 TRAINED SPOTTER

SPECULATOR 6.0 507 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

INDIAN LAKE 4.5 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE 1.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

LONG LAKE 0.5 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

FONDA 3.5 518 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

GLEN 3.0 545 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

AMSTERDAM 3.0 637 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

HESSVILLE 2.0 606 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...RENSSELAER COUNTY...

GRAFTON 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

BRUNSWICK 3.2 545 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE

CENTER BRUNSWICK 3.0 551 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

SPEIGLETOWN 3.0 500 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...SARATOGA COUNTY...

GANSEVOORT 6.8 511 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

CORINTH 6.0 513 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

SARATOGA SPRINGS 5.5 649 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

GREENFIELD 5.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

MECHANICVILLE 4.8 457 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

ROUND LAKE 4.6 500 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE

CHARLTON 3.0 442 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

MALTA 3.0 416 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...SCHENECTADY COUNTY...

SCOTIA 4.0 601 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

DUANESBURG 2.5 554 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...SCHOHARIE COUNTY...

SEWARD 3.0 417 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

HUNTERSLAND 2.5 511 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

CHARLOTTEVILLE 2.2 451 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

SCHOHARIE 2.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

RICHMONDVILLE 2.0 445 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

JEFFERSON 2.0 602 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

SUMMIT 2.0 530 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

FULTON 2.0 500 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...ULSTER COUNTY...

PHOENICIA 4.3 550 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

WEST SHOKAN 4.0 436 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

KINGSTON 3.2 515 PM 1/18 PUBLIC

KERHONKSON 2.5 357 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

SAUGERTIES 2.5 423 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

ROSENDALE 2.3 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

ESOPUS 1.2 438 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...WARREN COUNTY...

LAKE LUZERNE 7.0 550 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

GLENS FALLS 6.5 445 PM 1/18 WTEN METEOROLOGIST who dat! :thumbsup: I know this guy!

WARRENSBURG 6.5 535 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

QUEENSBURY 5.5 439 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

BRANT LAKE 5.0 448 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

COSSAYUNA 7.0 501 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

WHITEHALL 6.5 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

GRANVILLE 6.0 545 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

NORTH HEBRON 5.5 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

SALEM 5.0 541 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

KINGSBURY 5.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

HUDSON FALLS 5.0 411 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

GREENWICH 4.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

VERMONT

...BENNINGTON COUNTY...

WOODFORD 9.0 451 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

LANDGROVE 8.5 615 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

READSBORO 6.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

DORSET 3.5 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

BENNINGTON 3.0 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

...WINDHAM COUNTY...

TOWNSHEND 8.5 430 PM 1/18 TRAINED SPOTTER

**********************12 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

LOCATION 12 HOUR TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...SARATOGA COUNTY...

ROUND LAKE 3.6 500 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE

***********************STORM TOTAL ICE***********************

ICE OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ALBANY COUNTY...

EAST BERNE 0.13 502 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

BOGHT CORNERS 0.10 510 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE

...COLUMBIA COUNTY...

HUDSON 0.40 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

NORTH CHATHAM 0.25 538 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

CHATHAM CENTER 0.25 358 PM 1/18

ANCRAMDALE 0.10 539 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...DUTCHESS COUNTY...

SALT POINT 0.25 230 PM 1/18 TRAINED SPOTTER

...GREENE COUNTY...

PALENVILLE 0.50 500 PM 1/18 WTEN

HALCOTT CENTER 0.25 601 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

GREENVILLE CENTER 0.20 446 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...RENSSELAER COUNTY...

BRUNSWICK 0.10 545 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE

...SARATOGA COUNTY...

MILTON 0.13 504 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

ROUND LAKE 0.10 500 PM 1/18

...SCHOHARIE COUNTY...

SCHOHARIE T 507 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...ULSTER COUNTY...

KINGSTON 0.20 345 PM 1/18

...WARREN COUNTY...

QUEENSBURY 0.25 439 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

COSSAYUNA T 501 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

********************STORM TOTAL RAINFALL********************

RAINFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ULSTER COUNTY...

KINGSTON 1.00 515 PM 1/18 PUBLIC

VERMONT

...WINDHAM COUNTY...

TOWNSHEND 0.94 430 PM 1/18 TRAINED SPOTTER

$$

JPV

====

Since that report another 3/10ths on the board. And it now snowing again albeit light. FIgures, I just finished clearing the snow, too

Can we trust this guy's storm report.:lol: Only kidding. Congrats on the snow up there. Had around two inches here then a crusty layer on top. Had around 0.30 of ice accum.

...WARREN COUNTY...

LAKE LUZERNE 7.0 550 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

GLENS FALLS 6.5 445 PM 1/18 WTEN METEOROLOGIST who dat! :thumbsup: I know this guy!

WARRENSBURG 6.5 535 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

QUEENSBURY 5.5 439 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

BRANT LAKE 5.0 448 PM 1/18 WEATHERNET6

Archived