Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday the 21th storm

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very well deserved break at that! Like some other vocations I'm guessing during "boring" weather you may be overpaid, but during "interesting" times you are severely underpaid....

As I have planned a get together of a number of local and out of town folks for next Wednesday night, I suspect we'll have a decent storm. yikes.png

Not all bad though... more snow, more to learn, and likely many desserts left over from the Chocolate Mill laugh.gif

I have family that works at the Chocolate Mill. Me tired of plowing??? Not a chance. I have to say pulling people out on the northway has grown tiresome. It is like all the idiots try to go back to their village and want to do it on a snowy road driving 70 with 3/4 worn out tires.

The repairs on people plows and trucks has been pretty spectacular too. I was plowing Tuesday night and I was shocked at how heavy it was. Had it stayed cold like the storm previous to the last without the rain and sleet it really would have really added up. It was really sporadic at times with little to no precip falling to snowing so hard you could not see 1/2 mile ahead of you.

I don't know whats going on with my computer, I'm getting all weird symbols when I go to reply or change my signature.................I got 6.9" yesterday and just a hair under 1.5" today

ended up here with 3.0" yesterday and 1.5" today not bad overall. maybe another 1 or 2 friday if we're lucky.

I don't know whats going on with my computer, I'm getting all weird symbols when I go to reply or change my signature.................I got 6.9" yesterday and just a hair under 1.5" today

Doesn't happen too often but that's exactly what I wound up with for Tuesday's event. Actually surprised that I had 1" with Wed's "event".

ECW4.JPG

One of the keys for higher snow amounts will be how the southern jet interacts with this storm. I hope we see more tomorrow than there is now.

Don't think there will be too much interaction. Just musing over next week's potential system a bit; wouldn't it be ironic if after we freeze our whatever off this weekend, that next week's system brings a mix or sleet/ice with it?

ended up here with 3.0" yesterday and 1.5" today not bad overall. maybe another 1 or 2 friday if we're lucky.

I am starting to think like you regarding the Fri system....

Just musing over next week's potential system a bit; wouldn't it be ironic if after we freeze our whatever off this weekend, that next week's system brings a mix or sleet/ice with it?

Not this winter..............With the structure of these coastals this year, it's almost like living in NYC where the sun, moon and stars have to all be in alignment to give us a jackpot storm. I'll gladly take a bunch of Tuesday storms and the cold pattern for the rest of the winter...............Though I hate driving on the ice :arrowhead:

Not this winter..............With the structure of these coastals this year, it's almost like living in NYC where the sun, moon and stars have to all be in alignment to give us a jackpot storm. I'll gladly take a bunch of Tuesday storms and the cold pattern for the rest of the winter...............Though I hate driving on the ice :arrowhead:

What's your take on the GFS miss on the middle of next week event? I'll be watching for the trend N by W

I see the 6Z models came in with a solid .25 in ALB. With the good ratios it could end up be at the upper end of your 2-4" :)

I have a hike/snowshoe up Overlook Mountain down in Woodstock (3200 ft) to the Ranger's Cabin on top starting at 6:30 tonight. Supposed to be a moonlight hike, but we'll go even if it ends up being cloudy. Snow should hold off till after midnight I'm thinking.

Here's my call for tonight-tomorrow's event...Tug ( and TG) may do quite well on this one:

special.JPG

I do wish we would jackpot in just one storm this winter. We're probably ahead of normal on snowfall (43" here now), but it gets annoying seeing people 40 miles east of you having over a foot more in storms. :devilsmiley: I know a guy in Hoosic Falls who had 18" in both the Boxing Day event and this last big Noreaster.

What's your take on the GFS miss on the middle of next week event? I'll be watching for the trend N by W

This is a bonified arctic airmass plowing in behind this storm. Probably a bit underdone on the models and not in a hurry to be displaced. I think the GFS may be onto something as from here I see a cutter more probable than something going up the CT river valley. But then again, what the hell do I know

This is a bonified arctic airmass plowing in behind this storm. Probably a bit underdone on the models and not in a hurry to be displaced. I think the GFS may be onto something as from here I see a cutter more probable than something going up the CT river valley. But then again, what the hell do I know

Considering its a La Nina year NW trends often materialize. On the other hand, while it can happen, January often is not a prolific snow month here; DEC, FEB and MAR tend to have the blockbuster storms.

For now HPC is favoring the EC OP because of its continuity over "past" cycles along with its ECEN being similar and stable.

That system next week may be one of those ones where the precip shield extends northwards from GA to CNE and Upstate NY while the main low is still down over the FL Panhandle.

I'll probably start another thread today to open up discussion on this event and the arctic cold that precedes it....

12Z NAM:

Mid Hudson valley to Berkshires get a good moderate event....

nam_p36_036l.gif

Considering its a La Nina year NW trends often materialize. On the other hand, while it can happen, January often is not a prolific snow month here; DEC, FEB and MAR tend to have the blockbuster storms.

For now HPC is favoring the EC OP because of its continuity over "past" cycles along with its ECEN being similar and stable.

That system next week may be one of those ones where the precip shield extends northwards from GA to CNE and Upstate NY while the main low is still down over the FL Panhandle.

I'll probably start another thread today to open up discussion on this event and the arctic cold that precedes it....

Hey Logan.....just snowshoed Overlook on Sunday....and skied down. Awesome ski...1400ft. down, nice and wide....no surprises....perfect snow for turns. I wouldn't ski down in the dark of course. Be careful at night, the ruins up top are haunted :whistle:.

I see the 6Z models came in with a solid .25 in ALB. With the good ratios it could end up be at the upper end of your 2-4" :)

I have a hike/snowshoe up Overlook Mountain down in Woodstock (3200 ft) to the Ranger's Cabin on top starting at 6:30 tonight. Supposed to be a moonlight hike, but we'll go even if it ends up being cloudy. Snow should hold off till after midnight I'm thinking.

I'm liking the last minute trend on the models. Hopefully we can pull of .4" in the capital district.....6" with fluff factor? Waiting on the GFS.

Coming up with 3/10ths for the CD..also since air is so dry we could lose a few hundredths at the start due to virga/evap. cooling.

You're right though a bit more NW on LP tracks from NAM, 06z UK (just a bit). Waiting on GFS

GFS juiced it up a bit with a NW tick. Keep trendin baby. The models seem to like multiple trends inside of 84 hours this year....lookin good....now not so good....now better....bipolar :wacko: Virga may be a problem although dewpoints aren't that low.....21F / 16F at Alb last hour. There is quite the dry layer in the upper 700mb region this morning.

Coming up with 3/10ths for the CD..also since air is so dry we could lose a few hundredths at the start due to virga/evap. cooling.

You're right though a bit more NW on LP tracks from NAM, 06z UK (just a bit). Waiting on GFS

If you look at radar you will see that the system is moving little faster than the model said it would....We will have to keep an eye on this.....The NAM is swinging back to where it was....South of ALB still looks to get a moderate snowfall...Ratio's look to be in the 15-1 or 18-1 range .Snow totals may have to be tweeked up a bit...right now I sticking to what I said the other day . Albany 4-8 and Mohawk Valley 3-6 everyone else 1-3 with maybe a few more inches than that on the Tug

Looking at 17Z surface maps, low looks a bit further north than NAM forecast but not really faster. Are you referring to low pressure track or precip shield?

If you look at radar you will see that the system is moving little faster than the model said it would....We will have to keep an eye on this.....The NAM is swinging back to where it was....South of ALB still looks to get a moderate snowfall...Ratio's look to be in the 15-1 or 18-1 range .Snow totals may have to be tweeked up a bit...right now I sticking to what I said the other day . Albany 4-8 and Mohawk Vallay 3-6 everyone else 1-3

Definately liking the last-minute trends on the 12z runs of the GFS / NAM for Tonight / Friday. BGM / ALY may need to consider adding another tier or 2 of counties (Esp. ALY) to the Advisory. Here is the most relevent 24-hour QPF for Upstate NY...

Just got the text message, and BGM has added Broome-Chenango-Delaware-Otsego to the WWA...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1249 PM EST THU JAN 20 2011

CHENANGO-BROOME-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NORWICH...BINGHAMTON

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 AM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS: EASTERN BROOME AND EASTERN CHENANGO COUNTIES

* HAZARDS: MODERATE SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: TOTAL STORM ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES.

OTSEGO-DELAWARE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ONEONTA...WALTON...DELHI

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 11 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 11 AM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS: OTSEGO AND DELAWARE COUNTIES

* HAZARDS: MODERATE SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: TOTAL STORM ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES.

euro is pretty similar to yesterday except .25-.5 coverage extends a bit further north of ART - GFL line

ottawa and montreal see very little. trend past 24 hours has been to more emphasis on the southern low and a 'slightly' more digging northern branch, enough of a difference for up here with washing out of the clipper stuck in the middle scenario again.....expected.....and as a result <1inch snow expected.

Archived